Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

It’s great news that there’s been no deaths for nearly two weeks but you appear to be suffering from a huge case of wildly missing the point, or you’re intentionally missing it.

The goal isn’t just to minimise Covid deaths, it’s to minimise all deaths while also ensuring people’s mental and physical health isn’t shot to f**k. Being shit scared to make any change to the rules while there’s as little as 300 active cases and no deaths in 12 days isn’t for everyone. The damage to other aspects of life and knock on health effects can’t just be ignored.

It's not so much that for me as the fact that they are changing the restrictions contrary to their own fucking protocol in a blatantly political effort to avoid the blowback of 'not getting the schools back' on day 1 of a schedule set before the pandemic began. Now perhaps they've got some comprehensive, all questions answered restart plan in their back pocket to announce later this week but the smart money is on them producing something that has still got serious holes in it - which is what you should expect when trying to organise how thousands of pupils and staff can safely get to and share indoor spaces within the next fortnight. On the other hand, there are businesses that would be pretty much ready to go right now under the existing safety requirements that would pose a negligible risk to public health and yet are being held back on the utter bullshit grounds that we must choose right now between schools or them. 

24 minutes ago, Bell™ said:

I saw some personal trainer type with a client down the park one afternoon last week. he'd taken a load of kettlebells and was making her lift them while standing a few yards back. if she can do that outdoors, and weights can be purchased from online retailers, then I don't see why gyms are necessary.

Not everyone is working and has the money or the space. I have a community card that gets me in the gym. Strength training really requires gym equipment and a spotter when doing heavy weights. Sure If you want to lose some fat and tone up, the gym isnt a necessity, but for those with certain fitness goals they are essential to achieving those goals.

" userid="34042"] I saw some personal trainer type with a client down the park one afternoon last week. he'd taken a load of kettlebells and was making her lift them while standing a few yards back. if she can do that outdoors, and weights can be purchased from online retailers, then I don't see why gyms are necessary.

That's only one type of training. Swinging a 20kg kettlebell about down the park isn't of much benefit to someone who trains as a powerlifter or a strongman, for example.

24 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I know two sisters who have a personal trainer turn up to the house and stand on the drive while they do their routine inside the garage watching her. Not ideal for all, but it shows with some enterprise it can be achieved.

90% of clients are women usually looking to lose weight so it is hardly enterprising to do the routine in their garage or local park. Seems the point is being missed by a few here

On 27/07/2020 at 08:28, Melanius Mullarkey said:

In a B&B up north just now and the owner wifie has just entertained  us with some tales of how 80% of Covid is transmitted through shoes. 

(Helmsdale if you’re planning on avoiding it)

I’m in Golspie at moment, not sure what Shoe transmission rates here.

57 minutes ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

I should have been clearer. Resistance training aimed more at strength and muscle growth. These require gym equipment, such as a bench, squat rack, olympic barbells, etc. I mix up training between hypertophy and strength training, it would cost far too much for me to get the same benefits at home.

Fair enough. I would say the number of people who genuinely can't find a compromise for their usual workout right now are extremely low though.

I'm quite small and skinny, if you need something to bench press give me a bell and I'll pop round in my hazmat suit.

" userid="34042"] I saw some personal trainer type with a client down the park one afternoon last week. he'd taken a load of kettlebells and was making her lift them while standing a few yards back. if she can do that outdoors, and weights can be purchased from online retailers, then I don't see why gyms are necessary.

Or a personal trainer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53476208
Are ours like this [mention=48748]WhiteRoseKilie[/mention]?
Thankfully not. We've been (so far) pretty lucky in our jails, as once a "bug" gets through the wall it generally ricochets around for a while, affecting staff and prisoners alike. At the two prisons I cover, one has had no prisoners treat positive out of a population of six hundred, the other has had five cases from a population of seven hundred. There have been less than a dozen cases in staff between the two nicks.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Fair enough. I would say the number of people who genuinely can't find a compromise for their usual workout right now are extremely low though.

I'm quite small and skinny, if you need something to bench press give me a bell and I'll pop round in my hazmat suit.

if anything its been better for me as there's been more free time and fewer excuses not to do it! Tbf I just use a set of dumbbells at home as I'm more confident with getting decent form with them (I know barbell deadlifts n' squats are meant to be really good exercises to do, but for various reasons I don't bother; check out the size and try to decipher all of the tips section on this guide to deadlifts for instance to see what I mean and a glimpse as to why I find anything with a barbell so damn offputting https://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/deadlifts.html)

Since the weight set I've got totals something like 42.5kg, I can load a max of 20kg onto each dumbell which for personal use I've found fine for doing stuff like various curls, shoulder press, bent over row and even benching the things.

I'm not even so sure you'd need access to weights if you do heavy lifting in your job either; *anecdote klaxon* a friend of mine is a mechanic and he doesn't lift any weights whatsoever at home and he's nonetheless extraordinarily strong. I mind him explaining one time that it's pretty much all functional strength that comes from having to fling gearboxes about in his work most of the day. 

afaik bodyweight stuff is a poor subsitute for freeweights if you can't access them at all (I can't mind the source for this which is nagging at me but I'm sure it was solid) I think the gist is that to get comparable results you need to work out how many reps you can do of a bodyweight exercise to failure, then do 1/2 of that number for several sets. Would far rather just do like a 5x5 with a set of dumbbells tbh

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I'm very lucky in that I've been allowed to organise our gym equipment in such a way that we have full access to all of it, we just need to train with heavy duty rubber mats down outside and in the car park.  I can train with all the weights I normally would, I've just got to be prepared to get a bit wet if it's raining.  We've put in place all the usual contact details/screening procedures in order to be able to train outside.  I've quite enjoyed it so I've been back training "in" the gym for the last month or so and the structure and routine really helps with day to day wellbeing.  I know many folk will say just go for a run or do some press-ups, but it's not really the same.  Fine for a few weeks, but not a few months.  

I've been leading some S&C work this year and one thing I've found to be a good substitute is resistance bands.  You can get different ones and they provide a good level of resistance for most folk, I posted a program in the get fit stay fit thread if anyone is stuck for ideas.  Kettlebells are pretty good too, for HIIT stuff and hopefully with English gyms reopening some of the equipment may come down in price.  

But for gym staff, not just PTs, it must be quite worrying.  I know of lots of people who have cancelled their memberships because the lack of timeframe for reopening and a lot more have invested in home equipment.  It may force some of the more extortionate places to come down in price, but there are a lot smaller places and businesses who will end up folding as a result.   As I mentioned earlier, I think the end of August is when we will see these places re-open up here - it would coincide with schools being back for a few weeks and the next review date after Thursday.  

3 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I know two sisters who have a personal trainer turn up to the house and stand on the drive while they do their routine inside the garage watching her. Not ideal for all, but it shows with some enterprise it can be achieved.

I remember seeing this one on a certain website. Dragged on a bit but decent climax.

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

That's only one type of training. Swinging a 20kg kettlebell about down the park isn't of much benefit to someone who trains as a powerlifter or a strongman, for example.

They can go down the park and pick up random passerbyes  and depending on their lifting prowess they can go for the fatter or thinner chaps accordingly.

I was at Newton on Ayr station today. Four proper old skool jakies sitting on the bench (4 seats with 3 marked out for SD) and they were sharing a 2l bottle of shite. Worse still they were doing the old wipe the bottle top with your (in their case manky) hand before swigging. Utterly bogging at the best of times but how are the likes of these manks and the zombie junkies seemingly immune to this virus ?

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I was at Newton on Ayr station today. Four proper old skool jakies sitting on the bench (4 seats with 3 marked out for SD) and they were sharing a 2l bottle of shite. Worse still they were doing the old wipe the bottle top with your (in their case manky) hand before swigging. Utterly bogging at the best of times but how are the likes of these manks and the zombie junkies seemingly immune to this virus ?

rVWxdAjRCRKPRPlEk5LbQmMyK1I=.gif

It's the Scotsman, and tbh I don't see the issue. If the regulator is not ineffective it's worth highlighting this.

Hatchet job in the sense thay they are again only looking at the role of the Scottish Government. 

Given the thousands that private care homes fleece out of their customers you have to question why they are short of staff and why there seems to be a complete lack of blame being attached to them.

It was the same with PPE - the complaints of shortages of equipment that they should have had even without Covid-19.

These b*****ds have gotten away for years with cutting everything to the legal minimum - it's no surprise that the minute even a little more stress was put on them that they could not cope. That perhaps is not the fault of the Care Commission - they are only enforcing minimum standards - perhaps the real issue is that the minimum standards need to be raised.

I'm not disputing terrible working conditions are a major issue but they're not the only one. The workforce could unionise and should take advantage of the 'unskilled' care labour shortage (it is anything but) that will happen after Brexit to force employers to recognise and improve their conditions.

In the meantime it's fine to examine the shortcomings of the regulator. The negative coverage will hopefully lead to better outcomes.

I don't disagree - just very doubtful how this is reported.  

A balanced report would be looking at the role of not just the Scottish Government but the care businesses themselves.

Also given the BBC's previous on this, the use of supposedly ordinary individuals who turn out to be party hacks, I am somewhat cynical when it comes to anecdotal-based evidence.