Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 hours ago, virginton said:

I was in Poland and the Czech Republic earlier this month and it was perfectly fine for the following reasons:

- Shan social distancing is really not a thing there anymore

- Plenty of proper outdoor terracing space in restaurants and bars, with indoor space also being used just as much as before

- A walk-in policy for just about everywhere as opposed to leaving your name, address, mother's maiden name etc. on the door just to get a tasty pint

- Weather that isn't completely fucking horseshit (so facilitating the terraces above)

The 'inconvenience' amounted to chucking on a mask in an obviously busy public space/transport setting' and disinfecting your hands whenever going to a new place. Throw in the absence of stag do groups, organised tour groups getting in the way of everyone  else and the swarms of peddlers of utter shite to tourists and the holiday experience was in fact better than it would have been in 2019. Other than contracting a classic bout of the holiday shits but that's a risk that you take with any break. 

I'm due to go to Czech on Monday, our plan is just follow whatever their current rules are and use masks/hand sanitizer when you would use them here.  Been plenty before and where we go, the main enemy for enjoyment and danger purposes, British people, don't really go so should be fine.  Had a wee spike but seems to be on its way back down to their "normal" numbers again.  

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Oh im sorry, I forgot technology had reversed in the last 10 years.

Bars, restaurants etc are places with a 'captive audience'

When do you intend emerging from under your bed to rejoin a functioning society?

You are welcome to stay shiting yourself btw. Just don't expect everyone else to join you.

Two 't's in shitting (which I'm not). Where exactly will I find this 'functioning society'?

1 minute ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Two 't's in shitting (which I'm not). Where exactly will I find this 'functioning society'?

There are indeed two Ts in shitting, but there is only one in shiting

5 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

You got me there, you semantic wee rascal.

(what does shiting mean?)

Is this a joke?

Shiting = the present participle of shite

Edited by Todd_is_God

18 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I'm due to go to Czech on Monday, our plan is just follow whatever their current rules are and use masks/hand sanitizer when you would use them here.  Been plenty before and where we go, the main enemy for enjoyment and danger purposes, British people, don't really go so should be fine.  Had a wee spike but seems to be on its way back down to their "normal" numbers again.  

I should add we more than know the risks of going abroad during this, we went to Berlin in March on the day the Ayr v Queen of the South game got cancelled and then the season ended, then while we were out on the Saturday the majority of the pubs shut in Berlin. 

We actually isolated for the week after we got back before that was a thing just in case, since the information around it was a lot less clear than now.  

So we've kinda been through all this already. 

9 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

You're missing an 'e' or a 't'. 

Maybe it's because I can spell, maybe it's because i was taught proper grammar and spelling  .  .  .  

Yet the ellipsis seems beyond you...

If the present participle of kite is kiting, then for shite it is shiting. It's not even up for debate.

It's incredibly unfortunate for you that you have made a c**t of this, but, as it is nearly 2am, there is a chance you'll get away with it by deleting your posts...

Edited by Todd_is_God

tbh I'm not too fussed about not getting a holiday this year, means I can just save the cash I was planning to spend and either get an extra trip abroad somewhere next year or maybe just get an extra week to a holiday if I do book up.

Although in saying that I get why folk might be keener to go to EU destinations asap as there's a looming f**k up brewing that leads to a no deal/shite deal brexit, if nothing else for the exchange rates.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Guest JTS98
6 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yet the ellipsis seems beyond you...

If the present participle of kite is kiting, then for shite it is shiting. It's not even up for debate.

It's incredibly unfortunate for you that you have made a c**t of this, but, as it is nearly 2am, there is a chance you'll get away with it by deleting your posts...

Point of order, here.

0/10 you've just failed your essay.

You're dealing with a non-standard piece of vocabulary, so of course it is up for debate.

Also, your example of kite/shite does not necessarily carry. The second verb for sink is 'sank'. The second verb for wink is not 'w**k'.

Grammar and spelling have no such things as rules, despite what the poorly informed say. Grammar and spelling have tendencies. Nothing more. Anyone doubting this should attempt to define how you talk about the past in English. See how far you get before you need to use the word 'sometimes'. Or try to explain the standard spelling procedure of English vocabulary without using the words 'exceptions' or 'sometimes'.

Claiming that a non-standard piece of vocabulary's grammar is not up for debate is straight-up wrong. My professional sensibilities could not allow it to pass unchallenged.

Edited by JTS98

Last time I popped in here there was a three page discussion about what qualifies as being a 'qualified historian'.

I'm presuming that we've said fuc*ity by to the virus now? (or should that be fuc*itty by?)  

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Last time I popped in here there was a three page discussion about what qualifies as being a 'qualified historian'.

I'm presuming that we've said fuc*ity by to the virus now? (or should that be fuc*itty bye?)  

FTFY

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

Correct, I was just testing at 6:30am.  :whistle

Ungodly hour to be up at. Especially for me I'm off work this week and woke up bright as a button<_<

Back to the virus, malaria deaths could double this year and folk are still moaning about their holidays. If I was the news editor I would have these self centered folk moaning followed by the worst stories possible to show them up 

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020/07/malaria-deaths-surge-africa-fight-covid-19-200726095044561.html

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Back to the virus, malaria deaths could double this year and folk are still moaning about their holidays

Had to laugh at a guy on a beach in Spain being interviewed on BBC Breakfast yesterday.  He was pointing out to the sea with some clouds in the skies repeatedly saying "you wouldn't get a view like that back home in Britain".  Errr...  what?!