Coronavirus (COVID-19)

41 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Should really ban non essential foreign travel until 2021 with full refunds.
Not worth the risk of spreading the virus and also how good can a socially distanced holiday be?

I was in Poland and the Czech Republic earlier this month and it was perfectly fine for the following reasons:

- Shan social distancing is really not a thing there anymore

- Plenty of proper outdoor terracing space in restaurants and bars, with indoor space also being used just as much as before

- A walk-in policy for just about everywhere as opposed to leaving your name, address, mother's maiden name etc. on the door just to get a tasty pint

- Weather that isn't completely fucking horseshit (so facilitating the terraces above)

The 'inconvenience' amounted to chucking on a mask in an obviously busy public space/transport setting' and disinfecting your hands whenever going to a new place. Throw in the absence of stag do groups, organised tour groups getting in the way of everyone  else and the swarms of peddlers of utter shite to tourists and the holiday experience was in fact better than it would have been in 2019. Other than contracting a classic bout of the holiday shits but that's a risk that you take with any break. 

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

I was in Poland and the Czech Republic earlier this month and it was perfectly fine for the following reasons:

- Plenty of proper outdoor terracing space in restaurants and bars, with indoor space also being used just as much as before

- A walk-in policy for just about everywhere as opposed to leaving your name, address, mother's maiden name etc. on the door just to get a tasty pint

- Weather that isn't completely fucking horseshit (so facilitating the terraces above)

The 'inconvenience' amounted to chucking on a mask in an obviously busy public space/transport setting' and disinfecting your hands whenever going to a new place. Throw in the absence of i) stag do groups, organised tour groups getting in the way of everyone  else and the swarms of peddlers of utter shite to tourists and the holiday experience was in fact better than it would have been in 2019. Other than contracting a classic bout of the holiday shits but that's a risk that you take with any break. 

Probably safer than Greenock 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

The 'inconvenience' amounted to chucking on a mask in an obviously busy public space/transport setting' and disinfecting your hands whenever going to a new place. Throw in the absence of i) stag do groups, organised tour groups getting in the way of everyone  else and the swarms of peddlers of utter shite to tourists and the holiday experience was in fact better than it would have been in 2019. Other than contracting a classic bout of the holiday shits but that's a risk that you take with any break. 

This. Been in the village for groceries and a drink a couple of times, and went for a run. Face masks when you're walking about a properly built up area, off when you sit down at a lovely table outside for a refreshing pint. Wait for staff to confirm table and chairs have been wiped down before sitting down. And obviously the weather and culture means folk are outside all the time. Different environment to where it sounds like VTs been but other than just being sensible, always carrying a mask and not touching other folk it's not really an issue. And again having space where we are is good, hotels would be a bit weirder I think.

Guest JTS98
26 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I'm meant to be off to Thailand in November but can't see it happening, they are still closed to international visitors and the other countries in the region have got 14 day quarantine in place, Cambodia make you give them $3000 US then start deducting charges from it. $100 for a test and $85 for accomodation at their specified place. If any one on the flight has tested positive you have to do 14 days at their place then have to pay for another test before release, I've had a few heads gone moments with customs in Cambodia and I wouldnt be surprised if every flight will produce at least 1 false positive.

Don't fancy your chances, to be honest.

There are ongoing discussions here between Malaysia and Singapore about opening a travel bubble. Recently the government has made it clear that this is for business travel only and nobody is going to be nipping in and out for a holiday weekend.

Malaysia has seemingly had similar discussions with Thailand but that deal is not so far along the line. It seems unlikely that even business travel between Malaysia and Thailand will get the ok for at least a month or two. Keeping in mind that both Thailand and Malaysia have pretty decent covid-19 records so far, I find it hard to believe that either country are going to be opening up to travel from a badly-affected country like the UK any time soon.

Vietnam has just discovered its first community transmission cases in ages, and this seems to be focusing minds on a job well done so far, but not finished yet. I don't expect things in SEA will loosen up very quickly.

The 'inconvenience' amounted to chucking on a mask in an obviously busy public space/transport setting' and disinfecting your hands whenever going to a new place. Throw in the absence of stag do groups, organised tour groups getting in the way of everyone  else and the swarms of peddlers of utter shite to tourists and the holiday experience was in fact better than it would have been in 2019. Other than contracting a classic bout of the holiday shits but that's a risk that you take with any break. 
That does sound OK and sensible.
I was mainly on about how good would it be for yer lager lout type holidays in Spain.

53 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Don't fancy your chances, to be honest.

There are ongoing discussions here between Malaysia and Singapore about opening a travel bubble. Recently the government has made it clear that this is for business travel only and nobody is going to be nipping in and out for a holiday weekend.

Malaysia has seemingly had similar discussions with Thailand but that deal is not so far along the line. It seems unlikely that even business travel between Malaysia and Thailand will get the ok for at least a month or two. Keeping in mind that both Thailand and Malaysia have pretty decent covid-19 records so far, I find it hard to believe that either country are going to be opening up to travel from a badly-affected country like the UK any time soon.

Vietnam has just discovered its first community transmission cases in ages, and this seems to be focusing minds on a job well done so far, but not finished yet. I don't expect things in SEA will loosen up very quickly.

Surely they'll let me in...I've bought a mask.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s960x960/109817494_634738517146796_5546010346803349770_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=9e2e56&_nc_ohc=CC5m-evnUC8AX8r1ZHp&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=9a5556f89986c6d3e804bc5a53f0d417&oe=5F447740

3 hours ago, mizfit said:

MP on BBC news saying that they’re debating whether or not to remove quarantine requirements for the Spanish islands.

Also said that they’re expecting the British public to be sensible when it comes to quarantining. To which the Presenter said they’d have viewers contact saying they were being told by bosses to go into work or they’d lose their job despite quarantining.

The MP had no response.

No-one should believe anything said by Johnson or his acolytes.  Do nt place any trust in them. They will f**k you over. 

A pal of mine is in Riga just now.

Not many tourists, no masks worn outdoors, it's quite hot there and the ice cream looks nice.

He's a Hibee though and the Latvian flag is maroon and white....

4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

In a B&B up north just now and the owner wifie has just entertained  us with some tales of how 80% of Covid is transmitted through shoes. 

(Helmsdale if you’re planning on avoiding it)

We must build a Wicker Man and burn the evil of @Shandon Par 's loafers!

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

We must build a Wicker Man and burn the evil of @Shandon Par 's loafers!

Went to put on a pair of second hand (ebay) shoes on Friday when heading out for dinner and they had fallen apart in the cupboard almost as if someone had cast a spell on the glue and stitching. Think Mozza's B&B lady may be on to something. 

23 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

As awful as possible hopefully. I'm really enjoying all the growlers who were out the traps like greyhounds to get to Magaluf getting their sad faces in the papers just now.

Again, I am very aware I am right on the edge of hypocrisy here. But all the folk on my flight who were clearly away for a week on the piss in Benidorm or Torrevieja and need to be back in their work next week will be beeling right now. Hard to feel bad considering their behaviour in the airport and on the flight

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Visited this thread to see the new cases for today, and it struck me that @Todd_is_God hasn’t been posting on here for a few days. He was always first with the deaths/new cases. 

There's no point in me posting the same stuff tbh

PS - on days where there is no briefing, you can find the info here at 2pm

Edited by Todd_is_God

56 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

As awful as possible hopefully. I'm really enjoying all the growlers who were out the traps like greyhounds to get to Magaluf getting their sad faces in the papers just now.

Apart from the quarantine issues, why would anyone actually want to be on a plane with all that disgusting air being recycled? It would be like sitting in a Covid  (other viruses are available) incubator. 

1 minute ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Apart from the quarantine issues, why would anyone actually want to be on a plane with all that disgusting air being recycled? It would be like sitting in a Covid  (other viruses are available) incubator. 

The airlines claim that the ventilation systems completely clean the air circulating. 

Probably measured by the guys who used to do diesel emissions for VW.