Coronavirus (COVID-19)

MP on BBC news saying that they’re debating whether or not to remove quarantine requirements for the Spanish islands.

Also said that they’re expecting the British public to be sensible when it comes to quarantining. To which the Presenter said they’d have viewers contact saying they were being told by bosses to go into work or they’d lose their job despite quarantining.

The MP had no response.

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

MP on BBC news saying that they’re debating whether or not to remove quarantine requirements for the Spanish islands.

Also said that they’re expecting the British public to be sensible when it comes to quarantining. To which the Presenter said they’d have viewers contact saying they were being told by bosses to go into work or they’d lose their job despite quarantining.

The MP had no response.

I've a bit of sympathy with folk who have been caught out by this. On the other hand, I don't think folk should have been travelling abroad for a holiday, tbqh.

11 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I've a bit of sympathy with folk who have been caught out by this. On the other hand, I don't think folk should have been travelling abroad for a holiday, tbqh.

Folk should most definitely not have been travelling abroad for a holiday.  They knew before they went that the advice was subject to change at short notice. No sympathy whatsoever. 

Folk should most definitely not have been travelling abroad for a holiday.  They knew before they went that the advice was subject to change at short notice. No sympathy whatsoever. 
If I see one more greeting face on TV saying teary eyed that they needed / deserved their week on the piss in Benidorm because they have "worked right through lockdown" I will throw something at the TV. So have millions not even contemplating a foreign holiday in the midst of a global pandemic and doesn't everyone normally work right through the months of March to July ? This I've worked right through lockdown shite is total bullshit.

19 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
22 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

If I see one more greeting face on TV saying teary eyed that they needed / deserved their week on the piss in Benidorm because they have "worked right through lockdown" I will throw something at the TV. So have millions not even contemplating a foreign holiday in the midst of a global pandemic and doesn't everyone normally work right through the months of March to July ? This I've worked right through lockdown shite is total bullshit.

There were 3 or 4 interviewed on Radio Ulster this morning who had been caught out, but only 1 was really whiny.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

Ultimately there is a risk of this happening when you go on holiday. The more substantial risk if you're away for an extended period of time is that there is a possibility of a border closure. It's a known risk. 

I have no problem at all with anyone taking a holiday abroad. It's been a crap year and the weather since lockdown has been shite, for the most part. Moaning about government measures that are rightly applied when required just makes you look a bit of a dick tbh; yes they're annoying, but this is the reality we currently find ourselves in. 

Edited by Michael W

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

In a B&B up north just now and the owner wifie has just entertained  us with some tales of how 80% of Covid is transmitted through shoes. 

(Helmsdale if you’re planning on avoiding it)

Get down the Bannockburn, the Cockney landlord will tell you it's all down to the blacks spreading it via hip hop. On second thoughts go down to Timespan for lunch by the river, tasty Polish stuffed pancakes.

Edited by welshbairn

12 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Ultimately there is a risk of this happening when you go on holiday. The more substantial risk if you're away for an extended period of time is that there is a possibility of a border closure. It's a known risk. 

I have no problem at all with anyone taking a holiday abroad. It's been a crap year and the weather since lockdown has been shite, for the most part. Moaning about government measures that are rightly applied when required just makes you look a bit of a dick tbh; yes they're annoying, but this is the reality we currently find ourselves in. 

Our weather has been great, it's only this last 4 weeks it's been a bit iffy. Today it's piddling with rain, right enough.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Get down the Bannockburn, the Cockney landlord will tell you it's all down to the blacks spreading it via hip hop. On second thoughts go down to Timespan for lunch by the river, tasty Polish stuffed pancakes.

Matron Take Them Away Carry On Camping GIF - MatronTakeThemAway CarryOnCamping CarryOn GIFs

Should really ban non essential foreign travel until 2021 with full refunds.
Not worth the risk of spreading the virus and also how good can a socially distanced holiday be?

Feel sorry for people that got caught out and that's why it needs to be black or white. If you need to travel for business then quarantine. We are wasting resources like the police and the nhs so people can drink beer on a beach.

Not worth the risk of spreading the virus and also how good can a socially distanced holiday be?

Feel sorry for people that got caught out and that's why it needs to be black or white. If you need to travel for business then quarantine. We are wasting resources like the police and the nhs so people can drink beer on a beach.

Our holiday to Turkey was booked for the end of August. Back in March we decided to hold off and hope we’d be okay.

The end of April we decided to cancel and take a refund and look nearer the time at other holidays. We’ve since decided to keep the time we took off and maybe go for a few day trips for something to do instead.

Been looking at the charts for hospital admissions. Some quite interesting stuff in there: 

1) Numbers continuing to fall overall. 

2) There is a very disproportionate amount of the new admissions taking place in Wales (approx 40% of all UK admissions on a daily basis) . Not sure what's going on there as the amount of new cases/deaths doesn't appear to be that high in Wales. 

3) England with a small rise in hospital admissions against the previous week. 

4) New admissions in Scotland very, very low reflecting the low number of cases. However there is a disproportionate number of people still in hospital for Covid, who presumably have been there quite a long time now for the most part. 

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

The advice was as black and white as it was possible to be, is as much as folk were warned that things could change even while they were abroad on holiday. 

Why take such a risk?

As someone literally caught up in this Spain situation, which I'm sure in itself will be enough for some to think I'm a dick, anyone who's having more than a passing grumble about the changes, or is being caught out with the quarantine, is just being daft. 

It was clear to anyone who bothered to read that it was all subject to change at short notice, although there's got to be serious questions about a decision being made that ends up being reversed 6 days later.

As for me I knew the risk, but also knew I'd be working from home and could comfortably stay in the flat for a couple of weeks when I get back if things went to shit. Not being allowed out for a walk or run is gonna have me a bit loopy, but I'll survive. I've said here and on other threads that if my parents didn't live here, I wouldn't have even considered travelling abroad. Even if they weren't a mile away from the nearest village and in some apartment block or condo complex at the coast I wouldn't have taken the chance.

But it was worth the risk bearing in mind my circumstances at home. My girlfriend could have come but we decided it wasn't worth the risk for her.

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

I'm meant to be off to Thailand in November but can't see it happening, they are still closed to international visitors and the other countries in the region have got 14 day quarantine in place, Cambodia make you give them $3000 US then start deducting charges from it. $100 for a test and $85 for accomodation at their specified place. If any one on the flight has tested positive you have to do 14 days at their place then have to pay for another test before release, I've had a few heads gone moments with customs in Cambodia and I wouldnt be surprised if every flight will produce at least 1 false positive.

I'm booked to go out in September to the family apartment. I've only paid for flights so they can easily be rescheduled if necessary. If there's a quarantine I have plenty of holidays in hand to cover it. If there's a lockdown while I'm in Spain, I'm not in a hotel so no big deal. Only real consideration is no travel insurance if FCO continue to advise against. 

The advice was as black and white as it was possible to be, is as much as folk were warned that things could change even while they were abroad on holiday. 

Why take such a risk?

I would say that still offering people the option makes it a grey area.

The travel companies are in trouble and are carrying on as if nothing has happened.

Won't judge anyone for travelling as the option is still on the table for them.

Personally if someone was allowed back into my workplace after a foreign holiday from a high infection country id complain to hr and tell them its a health and safety issue that needs sorted.

Reckon that we will look back if there is a second wave and say that this is a major f**k up.