Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If you assume that the Scottish Government's over riding concern is the smooth return to schools for kids on Aug 11th, then it makes perfect sense that they aren't going to take any further risks for the next three weeks.
If they open something up, and, however unlikely it triggers a large increase in case loads, then they will get blamed.
By keeping the current restrictions in place, they can hopefully maintain a case load in 2-20 a day range, dependent on clusters and get the kids back in on time, as planned. 
Further easing could then happen 2-3 weeks after to make sure the impact of school openings can be isolated and understood.
After that they can concentrate on getting the country open properly so that we can all get tanked up on away days. 
This is spot on. So much rests on getting schools back to normal not least the ability for thousands of parents to return to normal working arrangements. The schools are the panacea now. Get them back normally with no real adverse affect 2-3 weeks down the line and it will be a huge hurdle cleared. Everything should and will be geared towards that now given it's under 3 weeks away now for most authorities.

27 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That's a nonsense point. But why can't we do something major at the same time or, imagine, first?

Sigh. 

Not content in spamming the thread with graphs that you interpret to fit your own narrative. Not content with announcing the daily death/infection rates as if they were something akin to the football results you now seem to want to label this as some kind of England v Scotland contest. 

England are our closest neighbours with a broadly similar demographic to ours. It's inevitable that there is going to be a similarities between the approach to exiting lockdown between the two nations but why each approach should be judged in comparison with the other baffles me. 

Each is making their decisions on the  basis of what they consider to be their priorities. England to get the economy moving. Scotland to reduce the risk to health. IMO there is no right or wrong call, especially in such changing and uncertain circumstances, just differing calls. Why does it have to be such a big deal? What is so radical about one nation making a decision in isolation from another? 

When was the last time you looked at this with any kind of objectivity? Your own take on it is painfully clear - you might be right for all I know, time might tell - but every interpretation you make is based on the opinion you've already formed and you work backwards from there. There is no apparent flexibility in your thinking at all. 

This is spot on. So much rests on getting schools back to normal not least the ability for thousands of parents to return to normal working arrangements. The schools are the panacea now. Get them back normally with no real adverse affect 2-3 weeks down the line and it will be a huge hurdle cleared. Everything should and will be geared towards that now given it's under 3 weeks away now for most authorities.
It's under 3 weeks for all authorities i think. They've brought them in line for this year.

43 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Sigh. 

Not content in spamming the thread with graphs that you interpret to fit your own narrative. Not content with announcing the daily death/infection rates as if they were something akin to the football results you now seem to want to label this as some kind of England v Scotland contest. 

England are our closest neighbours with a broadly similar demographic to ours. It's inevitable that there is going to be a similarities between the approach to exiting lockdown between the two nations but why each approach should be judged in comparison with the other baffles me. 

Each is making their decisions on the  basis of what they consider to be their priorities. England to get the economy moving. Scotland to reduce the risk to health. IMO there is no right or wrong call, especially in such changing and uncertain circumstances, just differing calls. Why does it have to be such a big deal? What is so radical about one nation making a decision in isolation from another? 

When was the last time you looked at this with any kind of objectivity? Your own take on it is painfully clear - you might be right for all I know, time might tell - but every interpretation you make is based on the opinion you've already formed and you work backwards from there. There is no apparent flexibility in your thinking at all. 

Excellent post.

but every interpretation you make is based on the opinion you've already formed and you work backwards from there.

😀

1 hour ago, Wee Willie said:

This wifie has got the idea.

Apparently she's on the Staffin bus going somewhere.staffin.thumb.jpg.25e911108f5bf5ea59634b0f66216d7f.jpg

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

IMG_2002.jpg

C'mon you would need a degree in engineering for that mask.

At least with the wifie's mask all you would need is a sharp knife and a steady hand.

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

A lot of rage on the Edinburgh Live site because the council want to plough ahead with the Christmas markets and Hogmanay celebrations, albeit on a scaled down size. The usual sound bites were on there from the perpetual scared - “what about the second wave.” Etc.

“It is being reported that a drone display similar to one featured in Shanghai's 2020 New Year celebrations could be brought in, instead of thousands of people lining the streets.

The Christmas Market would also apparently be "scaled back" and social distancing measures put in place.”

i honestly don’t understand the bit in bold 🤔

Hogmanay tickets went on sale today at bloody twenty quid a pop. I wonder why the council are keen for that to go ahead...

4 hours ago, John MacLean said:

Sigh. 

Let's be serious for a second. It's not unfathomable that, by the time NS sturgeon delivers the review next Thursday, we could be sitting with 0 deaths in 14 days.

It's utterly ridiculous that, given that scenario (or even a probable worst case of 1.25 deaths per week over a 4 week period), a person in Scotland cannot go to a gym because it's "unsafe", yet can now go on holiday to Spain which, adjusted for population, is recording more new cases in a day than Scotland is in a week.

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Hogmanay tickets went on sale today at bloody twenty quid a pop. I wonder why the council are keen for that to go ahead...

Definitely. The council and Underbelly rake in the cash at these events. I don’t begrudge the Edinburgh hotels an upturn of trade with Hogmanay visitors seeing as the Fringe/Tattoo was wiped out 

The daily briefings are totally pointless now. It's just the same spiel on repeat.
I guess it's hard to keep up the pretence that we are following our own path when pretty much everyone knows now it's just England + 10-14 days.
Pretending there is any danger of schools not being allowed to go back full time in 3 weeks was a good one though.
I disagree - politically it is absolutely the right thing to do.

Care Homes were advised not to send residents with Covid symptoms to hospital. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/care-homes-were-told-not-to-send-patients-with-virus-to-hospital-9ptk78rdh

image.thumb.png.02f4270647e5eabce6c3904bda3bc64b.png

image.thumb.png.fbd1a934ee97f140f7e25e86fb61b162.png

image.thumb.png.d61082a51d94238b7dd1de564a8a6985.png

image.thumb.png.9aed2f861b418e43b74f25bc3814d358.png

Edited to change 'told' to 'advised'.  

Macaskill has previous for being economic with the actualité - I'd take anything he says with a large shovel of salt 

A whining Tory with an agenda.