Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I've been keeping an eye on my local boozer while pretending to work from home this morning.

The customers there are exactly who would expect to show up - 50+ year old single male pub regulars.

One guy must have planned ahead and booked a haircut at the barbers next door at 11 then just sauntered straight into the pub.

I've been keeping an eye on my local boozer while pretending to work from home this morning.

The customers there are exactly who would expect to show up - 50+ year old single male pub regulars.

One guy must have planned ahead and booked a haircut at the barbers next door at 11 then just sauntered straight into the pub.

Sort of people I seen lurking about the Perth beer gardens last week then.

21 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:
I see people kicking up a fuss because Wetherspoon's are using the VAT reduction on food to subsidise lower priced pints.
This is a prime example of a large company which is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't.
In a time when many will be struggling for money, they have more affordable for people to go out.
Wetherspoon's will always be able to undercut independent pubs on beer prices due to their enormous buying power. That they sell beer cheaper than anywhere else isn't news.
No one is going to suddenly ditch their local where they are paying £3.40 for a pint of Tennent's because it's now £2.29 in Spoons v the £2.49 it was previously (for example).
It's very sad to see that society is now so deeply split, that those who voted Remain or Labour will see only the negative in absolutely anything someone who voted Leave or Tory does, and vice versa.

Sacking their staff at the drop of a hat might also have something to do with people's attitudes as well.

They didn't actually sack anyone though

Interesting comparison for Scotland there. Also interesting to see Iain McWhirter comparing other countries to Scotland, he was supportive of the way the U.K. and Scottish governments handled the move into lockdown, IIRC.

With just 2 recorded deaths in 12 days, I hope the "deadly virus" soundbite is heard less and less going forward. A virus isn't deadly if it isn't killing people.

I'm fine with the restrictions we have in terms of facemasks etc remaining in place, but I am keen now to hear more positive messaging about how we are going to utilise these to get supporters back into sports stadia, to start planning for the return of indoor events, and how we are going to get public gatherings back on the agenda.

I don't mean restart these tomorrow, but we also shouldn't be sitting in a couple of months time no further forward on these issues.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Definitely very encouraging news, also worth remembering that lockdown has been easing for nearly 2 months now. Now is the biggest test! 

Scotland didn't exactly deal with things brilliantly at the start however with our economic hands tied by Westminster, we were always pissing into the wind. But since then Nicola has played a blinder whilst admitting she has made mistakes (unlike the fanny in Number 10), the fact we are where we are and for me under 12's no longer having to social distance where in England they still do shows how far we have came.

Can't drop the guard, the next few weeks are going to be interesting...

21 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Interesting comparison for Scotland there. Also interesting to see Iain McWhirter comparing other countries to Scotland, he was supportive of the way the U.K. and Scottish governments handled the move into lockdown, IIRC.

McWhirter bought into the whole herd immunity thing at the start, if I recall.

But yeah, the principle of shutting borders down early doors to prevent community transmission is sound. Or at least, quarantining borders in such a way to kill the virus off before it gets in.

The UK didn't and was generally looking in the wrong places anyway. A more confident nation not absolutely desperate for people to come in and out on the back of the biggest shake up in it's trading relations for a generation might have come to a different set of conclusions.

Edited by renton

Update on fuckwittery down under. All 24 of NZ cases are in managed isolation having returned from overseas. No community transmission. However, 4 muppets thought escaping from luxury accommodation used for managed isolation was a cunning plan. 2 in jail, one out on bail. 1 still to make court appearance IIRC. Even more screwed up is that part of the reason for the spike in cases in Melbourne was that the security guards watching those in isolation were engaging in sexual relations with their charges. So quite literally screwed it up.

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

With just 2 recorded deaths in 12 days, I hope the "deadly virus" soundbite is heard less and less going forward. A virus isn't deadly if it isn't killing people.

I'm fine with the restrictions we have in terms of facemasks etc remaining in place, but I am keen now to hear more positive messaging about how we are going to utilise these to get supporters back into sports stadia, to start planning for the return of indoor events, and how we are going to get public gatherings back on the agenda.

I don't mean restart these tomorrow, but we also shouldn't be sitting in a couple of months time no further forward on these issues.

It really is making a mockery of “no crowds at football until Oct at the earliest ” rhetoric that Leitch and people on here have been saying. There’s absolutely no reason why small race meetings at Ayr, Hamilton etc can’t go ahead with punters there. I just fear that come Oct it will be ramping up to normal cold and flu season and they’ll use that as an excuse for none or limited crowds

48 minutes ago, PWL said:

Haircut at 4pm. Genuinely looking forward to it more than my first pub visit. I've tired of looking like a brunette Michael Fabricant.

My son is about to go into his apt

I'm so excited! 

15 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

No covid deaths for a week is indeed brilliant news, and with today's further easing of Lockdown it finally feels like we are getting somewhere closer to "back to normal".

When this all begun back in March and April felt like we were in a Long black tunnel, however this afternoon we can finally go out for a pint and haircut.   Mind you, that will be after I've put my mask on to go into the bank to get some cash oot!

It really is making a mockery of “no crowds at football until Oct at the earliest ” rhetoric that Leitch and people on here have been saying. There’s absolutely no reason why small race meetings at Ayr, Hamilton etc can’t go ahead with punters there. I just fear that come Oct it will be ramping up to normal cold and flu season and they’ll use that as an excuse for none or limited crowds

I’ve been socially distancing at the falkirk stadium for years start work at 6pm on a Saturday , head along for 2.50 . Get pie just before ko as everyone gets to their seat. Back to the car and a bite to eat and listen to the full times from round the grounds then off to work for nightshift . Sad ? Definitely Safe? - absolutely!

I’ve been socially distancing at the falkirk stadium for years start work at 6pm on a Saturday , head along for 2.50 . Get pie just before ko as everyone gets to their seat. Back to the car and a bite to eat and listen to the full times from round the grounds then off to work for nightshift . Sad ? Definitely Safe? - absolutely!
I go to games on my jack all the time. Maybe half the games I attend are on my tod. Especially away from home. It's not sad. It's an excellent way to view the game*

*in that neither of my children are climbing on my head, or punching/kicking eachother with me as referee for the entire duration I am gone.