Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

That can’t be true.  There must be far more than 12 people coming into hospital unconscious a day. 

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Yes, but only a few require admission to ICU.  Most come round before requiring that level of care.

Either this, or you can manage to get a collateral history from a relative that suggests they're low risk.

It also depends when the patient is admitted. The test might come back negative fairly rapidly, or might still be pending when the board sends in the numbers.

Edited by Cyclizine

11 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I saw a video online of masks and how affective they are (or aren’t). It seems the surgical style masks from China offer very little protection. The acid test was the woman put on various masks and attempted to blow out a lighter. Something for you guys to do later if you’re bored and wondering how much protection your face covering is giving you 

They're not supposed to be able to stop you breathing.

1 hour ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I actually didn't realise how useful the mask was until I wore him in the supermarket for the first time. I must have gone to lick my fingers about 6 times when opening carrier bags and splitting up my bank notes. You really are protecting yourself by wearing one.

I'm the same - I think stopping me touching my mouth or nose is one of the biggest advantages.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I didn't realise people actually did stuff like that even in non-pandemic times - I assumed it was a trope from the TV and films.

You have to if your hands are clean because clean skin has insufficient friction. Not saying you're definitely a clarty b*****d. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

You have to if your hands are clean because clean skin has insufficient friction. Not saying you're definitely a clarty b*****d. 

Yes, the person licking their fingers before slathering them all over money that has to be immediately given to other people is the real bastion of hygiene here.

I have genuinely never had an issue with banknotes sticking together, and I apply pressure to the sides of the plastic bag to open it.

I see people kicking up a fuss because Wetherspoon's are using the VAT reduction on food to subsidise lower priced pints.

This is a prime example of a large company which is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't.

In a time when many will be struggling for money, they have more affordable for people to go out.

Wetherspoon's will always be able to undercut independent pubs on beer prices due to their enormous buying power. That they sell beer cheaper than anywhere else isn't news.

No one is going to suddenly ditch their local where they are paying £3.40 for a pint of Tennent's because it's now £2.29 in Spoons v the £2.49 it was previously (for example).

It's very sad to see that society is now so deeply split, that those who voted Remain or Labour will see only the negative in absolutely anything someone who voted Leave or Tory does, and vice versa.

1 hour ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I actually didn't realise how useful the mask was until I wore him in the supermarket for the first time. I must have gone to lick my fingers about 6 times when opening carrier bags and splitting up my bank notes. You really are protecting yourself by wearing one.

You can cut out a hole for your mouth to help with that. 

24 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I see people kicking up a fuss because Wetherspoon's are using the VAT reduction on food to subsidise lower priced pints.

Disappointing. People should be kicking up a fuss because Wetherspoon's is still a thing.

No one is going to suddenly ditch their local where they are paying £3.40 for a pint of Tennent's because it's now £2.29 in Spoons v the £2.49 it was previously (for example).

You underestimate my da’s tight-fistedness.

This is a prime example of a large company which is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't.
In a time when many will be struggling for money, they have more affordable for people to go out.
Wetherspoon's will always be able to undercut independent pubs on beer prices due to their enormous buying power. That they sell beer cheaper than anywhere else isn't news.
It's very sad to see that society is now so deeply split, that those who voted Remain or Labour will see only the negative in absolutely anything someone who voted Leave or Tory does, and vice versa.
Sacking their staff at the drop of a hat might also have something to do with people's attitudes as well.