Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Went to Tesco this morning. Everybody wearing a face covering including the staff on the shop floor. Staff on the checkout no masks but they are all behind a Perspex screen. I asked one of the staff if they’d had any issues with folk objecting but none thus far other than a couple of people being turned away who went without causing any hassle.

11 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Went to Tesco this morning. Everybody wearing a face covering including the staff on the shop floor. Staff on the checkout no masks but they are all behind a Perspex screen. I asked one of the staff if they’d had any issues with folk objecting but none thus far other than a couple of people being turned away who went without causing any hassle. I

I'm not long back from the wee Sainsbury's near my hoose, was much the same. Everyone wearing a face covering.

11 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

The proposed costs are 53.7m  with an annual saving of 300k.  In view of the maintenance costs of the existing buildings this will no doubt increase year on year.

They also plan to sell 6 or 7 buildings which will also contribute.

Positives will see a huge increase in footfall in the centre of town, and with things such as the library being more accessible is good planning.

The worry now though is that if a long term plan sees more office workers staying at home more often then some of the benefit of increased footfall is lost.

Then there is the big question, can they bring it in on budget.

I think the benefits outweigh the negatives tbh.

I think the novelty will wear off for many people, there will be some recluse wierdo types who will be happy to never be in an office again and i'm sure it has some advantages some of the time but I think the majority don't mind a bit of social contact with co-workers. there are also those who don't really have the space for it and are just muddling through just now. Then there are those like me who simply don't want their home to also be their workplace

I think the novelty will wear off for many people, there will be some recluse wierdo types who will be happy to never be in an office again and i'm sure it has some advantages some of the time but I think the majority don't mind a bit of social contact with co-workers. there are also those who don't really have the space for it and are just muddling through just now. Then there are those like me who simply don't want their home to also be their workplace

My work asked me what I wanted to do and I’ve agreed to go in the office with a couple of home working days as and when I feel like.

23 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Went to Tesco this morning. Everybody wearing a face covering including the staff on the shop floor. Staff on the checkout no masks but they are all behind a Perspex screen. I asked one of the staff if they’d had any issues with folk objecting but none thus far other than a couple of people being turned away who went without causing any hassle.

I would've thought it would be pertinent for supermarkets to actually have wee disposable masks at the doors for people. Seems mad to turn folk who are potentially spending over £50 in your shop for not wearing a mask that cost would cost about 50p to hand out. I get that the responsibility is on the person, but I still thought shops might cater for people who are ignorant to the rules in order to still get their money.

I reckon this is spot-on. I'm planning to retire next April so it's no long term consideration for me, but after 15 weeks of home working I wouldn't fancy it as the new normal. I can perform OK but apart from the increased screen time I also find the lack of face to face collaboration becomes an issue.

1 hour ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I agree with a lot of what you say, but that's an odd comment. A butcher offering traceable, local meat and game will surely be a winner. Certainly better than the plastic wrapped, pink stuff on offer in supermarkets. I'd like to think shops that provide a first class service and goods will survive. They might need to fully embrace Internet ordering and delivery but I'm sure given the way food outlets have taken that idea on board so might others.

If they could just be open when most folk aren't at work i think they'd do much better. I haven't done a regression analysis or anything but i'd expect a close correlation between changes in stay at home housewife numbers and numbers of independent food shops. 

I would've thought it would be pertinent for supermarkets to actually have wee disposable masks at the doors for people. Seems mad to turn folk who are potentially spending over £50 in your shop for not wearing a mask that cost would cost about 50p to hand out. I get that the responsibility is on the person, but I still thought shops might cater for people who are ignorant to the rules in order to still get their money.
I would assume the majority of those not wearing a face covering are doing so deliberately and wouldn't wear one even if it was given to them for free. Everyone has had ample time to get them by now.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Unfortunately for you, Willie, a fair few of my predictions were correct.

But whatever makes you feel better 😘 x

Fair do's but as someone once said, If you keep calling heads (or tails) then you'll get it right eventually 😁

Cause for concern? Big jump there

From memory the Drive in test centres aren’t handled by the SNHS and they only receive the details of them once a week.

10 minutes ago, mizfit said:

18 new cases
0 new deaths

Some good and not great in the same post there.

Friday and Saturday have been a bit higher over the last few weeks but it's never ideal to see.

0 deaths is really good though. Real chance there are no more until Tuesday.

13 minutes ago, mizfit said:

From memory the Drive in test centres aren’t handled by the SNHS and they only receive the details of them once a week.

The SG site is certainly aware of how many were carried out daily (over 6,000 non NHS tests on Wednesday, for example), whether or not they get the positives back daily it doesn't say.

10,000 total tests on Wednesday is a huge increase on the average of 5,000 too. Maybe they are picking up more of the ~60 new infections per day they are estimating.

Can't tell much from just today.