Coronavirus (COVID-19)

28 minutes ago, sjc said:

Where did I definitively say it wasn't a pandemic? I said I remained to be convinced in light of the oldest most vulnerable, densely populated Country in the world having no spike in deaths in spite of no lockdown restrictions compared other Countries that have. 

You guys carry on hiding under your beds though, I'm sure the Government will tell you when it's safe to come out!

OK. 

So if its not a pandemic, what is the other explanation for what has happened all across the planet in the last 6 or so months?

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Just a thought given the next review isn't scheduled until 2 days before the 1st games is a 1 August restart feasible ?

There will be ongoing dialogue with the SPFL separately from this - all of the noises coming out from people on all sides suggest this is not going to be an issue.

At the moment 1 in every 375 deaths in Scotland are as a result of Covid-19, or 1 every 2½ days.
I think they have to be careful they don't lose focus on the bigger picture in their desire to keep pressing that down. Providing it can be kept at a low level, the reward for lowering it further is not particularly great versus the cost of achieving it.
I don't mean to sound callous, but those numbers are perfectly acceptable as is.

I do agree with this. Realistically I’m not really sure how much lower we’re going to suppress the numbers with tourism/pubs/restaurants fully opening on July 15th. Deaths and new cases peaked over Easter and this feels very much like the low ‘peak’ right now. Suppression entirely is surely exceptionally unlikely or indeed impossible with indoor hospitality and most critically open borders.

I don’t think there’s a right answer on how to proceed right now. Normality brings new cases, no two ways about it. I’m very sympathetic to the idea that we just have a bloody good time for the next couple of months because it’s coming back over winter anyway. Equally maybe some caution over the next few months gives us a nice low platform to start from when cases do start to rise and we can have a semblance of normal life for longer.

There does seem to be a fair amount of people who think this is all over though. It isn’t. It will come back. Things like masks, quarter full football grounds and strange pub experiences are here for a long time.

Didn't think there was much in today's announcement that we didn't really already know, just more of a confirmation of the dates that had been outlined previously. The part that I, personally, am frustrated with is the fact gyms are being pushed further back with no real idea on when they may be able to reopen yet pubs and other indoor activities can re-open with safety measures in place.  I'd be curious to see how much dialogue there's been between the leisure industry and the SG as to what measures/conditions would need to be met before re-opening. 

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

OK. 

So if its not a pandemic, what is the other explanation for what has happened all across the planet in the last 6 or so months?

I don't know. You tell me. I'm just pointing out contradictions in death data in other countries.

1 minute ago, super_carson said:

Didn't think there was much in today's announcement that we didn't really already know, just more of a confirmation of the dates that had been outlined previously. The part that I, personally, am frustrated with is the fact gyms are being pushed further back with no real idea on when they may be able to reopen yet pubs and other indoor activities can re-open with safety measures in place.  I'd be curious to see how much dialogue there's been between the leisure industry and the SG as to what measures/conditions would need to be met before re-opening. 

They have been open in Germany since the start of June.

I'm surprised the industry can't liase with the SG to see how they have managed over there and how it can be applied here.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Are you seriously linking to "OffGuardian" as an example of a peer-reviewed medical journal?

I read a few of the statements in it. The majority are saying that the panic and lockdown has been disproportionate. No-one (that I read - I didn't read it all) actually said it didn't exist, or that there wasn't a virus spreading rapidly around the world. So not entirely sure what @sjc is saying here linking to these. 

7 minutes ago, madwullie said:

OK. 

Clearly the answer won't be found by looking for an anomaly in Japan, but by finding out why the rest of the world is lying. 

7 minutes ago, sjc said:

I don't know. You tell me. I'm just pointing out contradictions in death data in other countries.

I think there's a pandemic going on with a highly contagious virus that can be deadly in certain circumstances.

I'm not the one darkly suggesting others are hiding under the bed in fear, and implying there's some global conspiracy to make us wear masks on the bus and in asda. 

Edited by madwullie

39 minutes ago, sjc said:

Where did I definitively say it wasn't a pandemic? I said I remained to be convinced in light of the oldest most vulnerable, densely populated Country in the world having no spike in deaths in spite of no lockdown restrictions compared other Countries that have. 

You guys carry on hiding under your beds though, I'm sure the Government will tell you when it's safe to come out!

BTW there was a 1000 death spike in Tokyo in April 

Just now, Gaz said:

Are you seriously linking to "OffGuardian" as an example of a peer-reviewed medical journal?

No, I'm lying in bed on my smartphone about to go to sleep so not about to troll through medical journals. But the medical professionals interviewed in the article put forth their expert opinions which contradict the narrative. That'll have to do you for now.

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I think we can safely file "sjc" alongside "Todd_Is_God" in the list of "posters who don't understand science".

f**k off you condescending p***k. I understand science well enough to know that it sometimes gets it wrong and I'm also aware enough of some funded science projects working backwards from its conclusions to suit.

1 minute ago, sjc said:

No, I'm lying in bed on my smartphone about to go to sleep so not about to troll through medical journals. But the medical professionals interviewed in the article put forth their expert opinions which contradict the narrative. That'll have to do you for now.

f**k off you condescending p***k. I understand science well enough to know that it sometimes gets it wrong and I'm also aware enough of some funded science projects working backwards from its conclusions to suit.

Got you. Happy to make a claim, not happy to provide the science to back it up. Cheers for that.

1 minute ago, sjc said:

Their opinions were that it was disproportionate. Not that it was fake, or man-made, or some illuminati / Bill Gates mind control plot

The Oxford English Dictionary (I went with them so as not to incorporate any medical bias) define pandemic as "a disease prevalent over a whole country or the world".

Unless you're a psuedo-scientist, or support psuedo-science, there really isn't away to describe what's going on as anything other than a pandemic. Anyone who 'remains unconvinced' that this is a pandemic is showing a (most probably deliberate) misunderstanding of science.