Coronavirus (COVID-19)

“All non cohabiting partners can form extended households without physical distancing.” - does this mean couples who live apart in their parents home can now stay with each other? I know previously they had said that a bubble could be formed if both lived on their own. 

Pleased with the confirmation of the previous indicative date for meeting indoors with other households. It's round to see friends tomorrow night that we haven't seen for months. As good as it will be to see them again it will also be good to see someone other than Mrs MacLean and the cat! 

We ate out on Monday and it was nice to see the return of some kind of normality but it was also a reminder of just how much things have changed since March. Things that we might previously have thought unthinkable are now just normal. I don't know if that is a good thing or not. 

What does this mean? A capped number of fans allowed soon?

I’m going to presume that they plan to have small groups in for friendlies to see how distancing works before getting the approval.

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

You don't think it's a pandemic?  

I remain to be convinced. Far too much contradictory science. I'm not saying the deaths aren't real, they clearly are.

3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Tin foil hat pish.

Not at all. I live in a highly densely populated Country with the oldest populus in the world that has had cases of covid19 before Europe or America, had no enforced lockdown and yet had no spike in deaths whatsoever.

My own situation highlights this, being high risk with neutrophils of less than 1000, yet still attending a designated Covid19 treatment hospital for fortnightly chemotherapy. I've also continued to work (like everyone else) throughout.

Compare and contrast this with the UK/USA where the death toll has been huge in spite of all the lockdown restrictions. 

15 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I've heard this "why are we only just being told to wear masks three months after locking down?" argument several times.

Surely it's the case that three months ago hardly anyone was (well, should have been) venturing outside their own house, and so masks weren't a necessity? Whereas now a lot more people are out and about and wearing masks will allow that to be done reasonably safely?

Exactly. I mean, I think we should have been wearing masks then as well, but now we're being told to mix and go shopping and stuff, it seems even more important. 

Tbh Im not sure wtf either us or WM were doing not mandating masks from early on. British culture wouldn't stand for masking is such a fucking buck passing pathetic line. 

Hats off to surgeons and nurses who repeatedly breathe in their own exhalation all day every day and somehow live to tell the tale. 

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

I remain to be convinced. Far too much contradictory science. I'm not saying the deaths aren't real, they clearly are.

Not at all. I live in a highly densely populated Country with the oldest populus in the world that has had cases of covid19 before Europe or America, had no enforced lockdown and yet had no spike in deaths whatsoever.

My own situation highlights this, being high risk with neutrophils of less than 1000, yet still attending a designated Covid19 treatment hospital for fortnightly chemotherapy. I've also continued to work (like everyone else) throughout.

Compare and contrast this with the UK/USA where the death toll has been huge in spite of all the lockdown restrictions. 

So the obvious conclusion is? 

8 minutes ago, sjc said:

Could you link to one peer-reviewed article, such as in a medical journal or similar, that says it is not a pandemic? I'd be interested to read this contradictory science.

Just now, madwullie said:

So the obvious conclusion is? 

It's certainly hard to ignore the Political and Financial agendas being driven, that's for sure.....

As for "fast tracking" a vaccine when historically, these have taken the best part of 10years to perfect and implement through rigorous testing, I'm sure it'll be fine though.....

Just read a bit about Japan there. Actually pretty interesting. They did have about 1000 excess deaths in Tokyo in April but apart from that no real sign of the virus - they don't test particularly much either. 

Some scientist theorises that Japan has maybe had something similar to covid in the past which has left them with some kind of low level immunity, which could also go some way to explaining the lower numbers in other neighbouring countries (that tend to be put down to their quick and heavy handed response)

The deputy pm though thinks its because japanese people are genetically superior tho 

25 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I've heard this "why are we only just being told to wear masks three months after locking down?" argument several times.

Surely it's the case that three months ago hardly anyone was (well, should have been) venturing outside their own house, and so masks weren't a necessity? Whereas now a lot more people are out and about and wearing masks will allow that to be done reasonably safely?

We’re being told to wear them in shops. Right from the start supermarkets/certain retailers were open and were busy. Think they should have been worn from the start rather than 3 months down the line but what do I know 

14 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Has nobody else yet made the correlation between the Scottish Government’s limitations on Spain as a snide at Catalonia’s failed bid for independence? 

Anyhoo, with them having made the pointless separatist ‘point’, I’ll wager come July 20th the quarantine will be miraculously lifted. While our glorious devolved Government will have monitored the quarantining of the sum  total of, ehhh, zero airport arrivals over the two weeks.

Wha’s like us, eh???!! 

Congratulations on managing to make the weirdest post on this clusterfuck of a thread.

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

We’re being told to wear them in shops. Right from the start supermarkets/certain retailers were open and were busy. Think they should have been worn from the start rather than 3 months down the line but what do I know 

But they weren't as busy three months ago as they are now.

4 minutes ago, sjc said:

It's certainly hard to ignore the Political and Financial agendas being driven, that's for sure.....

As for "fast tracking" a vaccine when historically, these have taken the best part of 10years to perfect and implement through rigorous testing, I'm sure it'll be fine though.....

A lot of ellipsis there. What do you actually mean? I've yet to hear an even remotely convincing argument that this is some kind of conspiracy - that dozens upon dozens of countries with competing interests and ideologies all decided to destroy their own economies at roughly the same time in the course of the virus spreading through the population because... because why? It doesn't make sense. Meanwhile the vast majority of countries that took no / little action are currently being ravaged by an out of control virus. Occams Razor would suggest that they were all trying to bluntly combat a dangerous virus. 

I'd be very surprised personally to see a vaccine any time before 2022.

Edited by madwullie

Good news for bars and restaurants that they can move to 1m.

I do wonder, though, how long the booking a table in advance / hold it for 2 hours method is viable, however.

Once the novelty of a few pints wears off, I can't imagine many people wanting to book days / weeks in advance to be out for just 2 hours on a Friday or Saturday, which will impact both customers and businesses.

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Just read a bit about Japan there. Actually pretty interesting. They did have about 1000 excess deaths in Tokyo in April but apart from that no real sign of the virus - they don't test particularly much either. 

Some scientist theorises that Japan has maybe had something similar to covid in the past which has left them with some kind of low level immunity, which could also go some way to explaining the lower numbers in other neighbouring countries (that tend to be put down to their quick and heavy handed response)

The deputy pm though thinks its because japanese people are genetically superior tho 

I read an article a week or so ago about Japan and it essentially boiled down to Japanese culture being much more subservient to Western culture. They didn't need to bring in a lockdown or laws because they knew that if they asked their citizens to stay away from each other and wear masks then that's what those citizens would do.

Just now, Gaz said:

Could you link to one peer-reviewed article, such as in a medical journal or similar, that says it is not a pandemic? I'd be interested to read this contradictory science.

The CDC and WHO have consistently contradicted themselves over the last few months. There's been numerous Doctors (including the Nobel prize winner that discovered HIV/Aids (shares RNA/DNA viral similarities) that have came out and contradicted the official narrative.

YouTube and Facebook in their wisdom feel Bill Gates is better qualified though.