Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

No. Schools are going back on the 11th or 12th - but authorities are doing so gradually.

Personally i think a week is enough to test their new procedures and get things sorted but Falkirk have went for 2 weeks.

It's not a massive issue.

When do Leicester go back? That's usually when we judge the start and end of holidays on P&B

And all of the “red” countries, right?

I was presuming those in red were countries you weren’t allowed to visit at all. Perhaps I’m wrong.

In terms of the two realistic policy approaches: (a) a single payment of £500, and (b) a voucher for £500 but with strings attached on how and where it can be spent; the better approach is the first one.
A significant amount of people probably would save it, or use it to pay off debts, but I'm willing to assume that they'd be outweighed by the people who would use it to consume now (plus, saving it now and then spending it ~3 months later is still more beneficial than nothing).
Obviously a comprehensive basic income system would be ideal but that's not going to happen anytime soon. 
This is something the Tories struggle to grapple with; those at the bottom who are invariably the most in need, are also the most likely to spend in the real economy. However, a direct monetary payment also carries risks, as in people using it to feed a drink or drug habit.

What this pandemic has done in three months is to expose the lunacy introduced by Thatcher that the UK could flourish as a service-based economy. Those countries that have retained a mixed economy will be better placed to weather the storm than the UK.

14 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

I noticed that Tesco have ditched their one way system today, although we are still required to maintain the two chevrons apart

I've always wondered who the first p***k was to come up with using chevrons instead of a simple straight line that would do the same job.

46 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I've always wondered who the first p***k was to come up with using chevrons instead of a simple straight line that would do the same job.

Look no further 🔪 🔪 

Screenshot_20200708-194454_Chrome.jpg

Age alone only appears significant if there are also underlying health conditions.
Certainly in the UK anyway, where the number of 85+ with no underlying health conditions who have died is broadly similar to those aged 45 with no underlying conditions.
Did stats not show that obesity was a major issue as well?

I remember seeing a figure of 70% of those dying were morbidly obese.

Not really. South East Asia has probably got more long-established and relatively high-standard English-language news sources than many other parts of the world, and those new sources tend to get a big more leeway in what they can report than local-language ones. So, when Googling in English you've got a reasonable chance of finding a story from one.
For example, Malaysian newspapers were loudly banging the airborne stuff that is now being reported in The West quite some time ago based on local scientific studies.
Seems a strange thing to dismiss a report simply because you don't know the context of the paper it appeared in.

My mother is murder for this - unless it's one of the right wing rags she dismisses the source as left wing/Nationalist (delete as appropriate) propaganda.

She disses the source only to skulk away with her tail between her legs when I find the same information in the Mail/Express/Times/Telegraph.

15 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'd have thought Killie fans would have learned their lesson about prematurely booking trips to Belgrade.

I haven't actually booked but thanks for acknowledging...

41 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Did stats not show that obesity was a major issue as well?

I remember seeing a figure of 70% of those dying were morbidly obese.

If i'm being honest I don't remember if obesity was counted as an underlying health condition or not (I think it may have been but I can't find the figures on the gov site anymore), but it's definitely a risk factor.