Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Some ITV Borders' bumpkin quoting some Borders Tory fuckwit in the press conference. 
B4B69545-A189-453C-97FC-1DCCF933CE23.png.7604d4bf06687ba0612974bc06b69402.png
Fucking retract the border to the Southern Uplands now.
I have posted about that total walloper before. Clearly has an agenda, it's reekin' out him at every question

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
27 minutes ago, virginton said:
Some ITV Borders' bumpkin quoting some Borders Tory fuckwit in the press conference. 
B4B69545-A189-453C-97FC-1DCCF933CE23.png.7604d4bf06687ba0612974bc06b69402.png
Fucking retract the border to the Southern Uplands now.

I have posted about that total walloper before. Clearly has an agenda, it's reekin' out him at every question

I don't think he realises that every question he asks shows the Tory MPs he's quoting as massive hypocrites.

Ach that's a sore one, have a week off before starting a new job week of 27/07 and was pretty confident/hopeful about getting over to see my folks who live in Spain, but not really doable now as I can't really quarantine when I get back 
Reviewed on 20 July so not 100% impossible but I have a hunch this Spain ruling will magically be able to be lifted about the time the schools go back...

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
18 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:
Ach that's a sore one, have a week off before starting a new job week of 27/07 and was pretty confident/hopeful about getting over to see my folks who live in Spain, but not really doable now as I can't really quarantine when I get back 

I have a hunch this Spain ruling will magically be able to be lifted about the time the schools go back...

Cynic...

16 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
32 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Reviewed on 20 July so not 100% impossible but I have a hunch this Spain ruling will magically be able to be lifted about the time the schools go back...

Aye, that had crossed my mind. Feels a bit like trying to stop huge numbers going to the one place and/or put people off going away completely. Can't complain anyway, a lot are worse off out of this than just not getting a holiday abroad, thinking about going camping instead. Cans of T and campfires in the drizzle will be just as good as drinking a nice Alhambra by the side of the pool in 30+ degree weather...

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

16 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
32 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

24th August in Falkirk

That’s my pal who bragged about his super cheap Spain holiday having to miss out on 2 weeks when he returns.

Unlucky.
It's a voluntary quarantine though, isn't it?

I can see very few people obeying this tbh. If you've been desperate to get a holiday abroad booked then i doubt folk will follow this instruction when they realise there's no way for anyone to check.

A few days ago they interviewed folk at an airport in England and one guy openly admitted that he would ignore it.

24th August in Falkirk
No. Schools are going back on the 11th or 12th - but authorities are doing so gradually.

Personally i think a week is enough to test their new procedures and get things sorted but Falkirk have went for 2 weeks.

It's not a massive issue.

Guest JTS98
1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I'm gonna have to agree with the general thrust of what you're saying here. I certainly found the Straits Times and S China Post to be pretty informative when I read a few copies of each back in the day.

Far be it from me to suggest the Inverclyde Sage is anything other than entirely fair and unbiased, but dismissing a news source purely because it is based in a far-flung part of the world seems a wee bit prejudiced.

A few months ago I raised the issue of the ambiguous messaging being given by the health authorities in the UK and suggested that perhaps the Malaysian government's approach might be more conducive to success. A small number of posters asked whether I knew better than Jason Leitch. When I pointed out that Malaysia had similarly qualified experts who were advocating a more cautious approach, the idea of Malaysian health advisers being worth listening to was ridiculed by a small number of posters.

The idea that expertise, opinions, and views from Asia are worth considering seems alien to a few posters on here.

Malaysia, with a population of 32 million, has currently recorded 121 covid-19 deaths.

1 hour ago, yoda said:

"The consumption side of the economy needs a massive boost. Should we give people £500 in cash?"

"No. What the economy needs is a voucher with strings attached."

If people were given £500 in cash right now the majority of it would be put in the bank and not stimulate anything. The economic shitstorm coming this autumn is just too obvious to change people's behaviour in such a blunt way, though by the same token what was announced today looks like trying to put out The Towering Inferno with a leaky bucket. As if a stamp duty holiday is going to make any fucking difference at all. 

Short of setting up a (loosely) conditional basic income that actually guarantees people that they will have a minimum floor of income nothing else is going to work. 

Just reading an interesting thread on twitter about why the death rate in the US might not be increasing despite the pretty dramatic rise in cases in some states. 

It can best be explained by this image, but the theory is that now that so many cases are being picked up by testing, where previously they were being identified by being symptomatic, there is a longer onset time from diagnosis to death. 

Pretty grim stuff obviously, and hopefully there won't be a massive rise in deaths, but interesting nonetheless. 

20200708_153859.jpg

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

If people were given £500 in cash right now the majority of it would be put in the bank and not stimulate anything. The economic shitstorm coming this autumn is just too obvious to change people's behaviour in such a blunt way, though by the same token what was announced today looks like trying to put out The Towering Inferno with a leaky bucket. As if a stamp duty holiday is going to make any fucking difference at all. 

Short of setting up a (loosely) conditional basic income that actually guarantees people that they will have a minimum floor of income nothing else is going to work. 

In terms of the two realistic policy approaches: (a) a single payment of £500, and (b) a voucher for £500 but with strings attached on how and where it can be spent; the better approach is the first one.

A significant amount of people probably would save it, or use it to pay off debts, but I'm willing to assume that they'd be outweighed by the people who would use it to consume now (plus, saving it now and then spending it ~3 months later is still more beneficial than nothing).

Obviously a comprehensive basic income system would be ideal but that's not going to happen anytime soon.