Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Just read tests provided by employers to their employees are to be treated as a Benefit in Kind and thus the employee will be taxed on it emoji23.png wtf

Either this is a special rule that is being introduced, which seems unlikely as is would generate negligible revenue and a lot of bad press, or it is a load of shite. 

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

It's impacted on us financially significantly yes, but that's besides the point. Look i'm not being funny but what the f**k even is it to you? Do you want me to put in a break down of my wife and I's rota's or something? She's had to stop doing out of hours shifts yes. Those shifts don't impact on when we need nursery provision but unfortunately due to us having disabled people we care for then she's doing more of my share of that because i'm having days off cancelled to work more to cover sickness etc in my own job. I'm not even sure you deserve an explanation but for some reason you clearly don't have a grasp on the point I'm making. 

You initially claimed that the reason she had to drop shifts was the lack of childcare provision, now it seems you're finally rowing back from that bullshit sob story. Glad we've just about cleared that up then.

Thats great for people who work 10-2 monday to friday, ideal. I don't neither does my wife, yet our nursery which did meet our needs has had to close as i've explained previously. I don't have any additional options open to me, the only singular option i have is to employ a child minder.

As opposed to everyone else using the service who works 10-2 each day? They simply make extra childcare arrangements *on top of* the free provision that the council is generously giving you over the summer between those hours. Such as having a childminder or nanny or family member or trusted friend drop off and pick their sprogs from the nursery service at the local hub. That you choose not to take up this service is really not the council's problem. And the fact that you're furiously writing letters about it when thousands of parents would in fact kill to have that set of options on the table is breathtaking in its lack of self-awareness.

Maybe I wrote to them to express my dismay at the handling of the pandemic and the lack of logic displayed in closing nurseries and making key workers jobs far more difficult at a time when their jobs are already being made more difficult. 

The only thing that is making your job more difficult is your braying refusal to take up a key worker hub because it doesn't suit your precise needs. Not the government's fault I'm afraid. 

-nursery closed = bad, no alternative cover provided in 10 miles of my home and only open limited hours which due to shifts and work circumstances isn't of any use to us, location of nursery also significantly out of the way meaning its a no go. No other options as all local nurseries forced to close. Had to employ worker. Don't believe its adequate range of options given my own nursery is willing to open and provide full service but is being prevented from doing so (i'm not looking for freebies just something resembling the service we need). I disagree with the councils position which is that they provide hubs which aren't socially distanced etc when providers are willing to open.

The council exists to serve the needs of its entire population and not just your individual circumstances. Stop whining and above all stop having tantrums about pubs being allowed to open as if that is in any way related to your Liverpool-esque sense of injustice.

Look I really don't know what point you're trying to make here, its clearly more personal than an actual point. So i'll summarise my argument, you're welcome as I fully predict you will, to disagree, but you have no insight into my own personal circumstances, financial or occupational besides the very limited information i've provided on here, how that allows you to make any fully formed opinion or position on my circumstances from down your nose is absolutely baffling. 

Yeah, I'm afraid that you lost the ability to play the 'personal point' gambit a few pages back when you were busy concocting weirdo fantasies about my life champ. Better luck next time.

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

Edited by vikingTON

Does anyone have stats from the test that showed 29% of people in a random sample who tested positive yet had no symptoms?
Quite frightening if that’s a true reflection on what it’s like, I’m sure other studies showed maybe 5% had antibodies or had the virus.
The stats seem a bit all over the place. Last month they said 80% will show no symptoms.
Numberwang
There's definitely confusion over why some people don't get any symptoms, or very mild symptoms, compared to the severe cases.

And the antibody test numbers are always very low, which doesn't seem to match with those stats.

It's quite clear that there's not enough known about this virus to make big claims about immunity either way.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

There's definitely confusion over why some people don't get any symptoms, or very mild symptoms, compared to the severe cases.

And the antibody test numbers are always very low, which doesn't seem to match with those stats.

It's quite clear that there's not enough known about this virus to make big claims about immunity either way.

I remember Italy closed off a village and tested them all. Might be worth trying it somewhere here?

You would have thought they would pick a random amount of people from all backgrounds and areas and test them throughout? 
Would be a good and helpful guide maybe? I guess this is similar to the R number and they must be community testing randoms for the algorithm to make any sense?

1 hour ago, keithgy said:

Falkirk Council have announced that children will restart school on a phased basis on 12th August and then as long as no spike full time on 24th August,my grandson starts P1 this year and i really want to be there to see the before and after school.

I'm livid at this. My 5 year old son has been off school for five months. He has had zero social interaction with anyone other than me and his mum. His education has suffered.

Its been confirmed by NS that under 11s need not social distance. It's been confirmed by John Swinney that, so long as no spike in infections full time schooling can start from 11th August.

Yet Falkirk Council take this decision to kick off with part time schooling (the phrase 'blended learning' can get itself to f**k) for two weeks. It's nothing more than appeasement. Appeasement for those that came up with part time battleplan only to see the plans end up in the bin.

Should also be remembered that the October holiday is for a fortnight this year to make up for the early return after summer holidays. Early return after the holidays?? My son will be in school one b*****ding day that week.

An appalling decision and symptomatic of where we're at with this thing. 

Falkirk Council have announced that children will restart school on a phased basis on 12th August and then as long as no spike full time on 24th August,my grandson starts P1 this year and i really want to be there to see the before and after school.
Dundee have announced that 10 and 11 August to be INSET days by moving the one scheduled for the 17 August and one from November.

Pupils to be phased in the remaining 3 days with all pupils back full-time on 17 August - a day before they were meant to be back on the original calendar.

Summer holidays in 2021 will start a week earlier than scheduled - Friday 25 June instead of Friday 2 July.

I'm livid at this. My 5 year old son has been off school for five months. He has had zero social interaction with anyone other than me and his mum. His education has suffered.
Its been confirmed by NS that under 11s need not social distance. It's been confirmed by John Swinney that, so long as no spike in infections full time schooling can start from 11th August.
Yet Falkirk Council take this decision to kick off with part time schooling (the phrase 'blended learning' can get itself to f**k) for two weeks. It's nothing more than appeasement. Appeasement for those that came up with part time battleplan only to see the plans end up in the bin.
Should also be remembered that the October holiday is for a fortnight this year to make up for the early return after summer holidays. Early return after the holidays?? My son will be in school one b*****ding day that week.
That is poor. In South Ayrshire it's induction days week of the return and normal full time from the next Monday

4 hours ago, Donathan said:

The fatality rate from covid-19 is not even close to 3.5%.

Maybe not here, but we don't live in Brazil last I checked. Worldwide the stats are different. Finding age info for Brazil alone is tough, but this is worldwide stats (usual caveats about testing and asymptomatic cases). 

In the US too is seems to hit people a bit younger than coffin dodger pretty hard (obesity maybe?) 

Screenshot_20200708-025329_Chrome.jpg

Edited by madwullie
Add in more info

Possible bolsonaro is in for a bit more than the sniffles. For whatever reason (poverty, health care, demographics?) it doesn't seem to be solely a disease that kills fogeys in Brazil 

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/05/22/in-brazil-covid-19-hitting-young-people-harder.html

20200708_025903.jpg

Edited by madwullie

7 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
9 hours ago, Steven W said:

That is poor. In South Ayrshire it's induction days week of the return and normal full time from the next Monday

As it should be. There is absolutely no reason why the return to education should be anything else.

I should add that this decision came about after a vote made by Falkirk Council. A decision that affects thousands of children across the region. 

Amount of children asked what they would like to do? Zero.

Edited by Steven W

As it should be. There is absolutely no reason why the return to education should be anything else.
I should add that this decision came about after a vote made by Falkirk Council. A decision that affects thousands of children across the region. 
Amount of children asked what they would like to do? Zero.
The mantra throughout this has been that esch restriction used will not be kept in place a moment longer than it needs to. I'd like to hear what the aim of the council is in doing this. In terms of protecting the NHS or saving lives, which was the whole fucking point of it all, what is it that they think they are doing?

The seems to a shift away from the initial aims of the measures to folk just making shit up as they go along.

5 hours ago, madwullie said:

Possible bolsonaro is in for a bit more than the sniffles. For whatever reason (poverty, health care, demographics?) it doesn't seem to be solely a disease that kills fogeys in Brazil 

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/05/22/in-brazil-covid-19-hitting-young-people-harder.html

When you're rummaging around on the internet quoting 'The Jakarta Post' as an authoritative source then it's probably time to take a break from the computer for a while. You've got a serious case of the Covid fear. 

In any case, the article points out obvious reasons for the disparity: that sheer poverty forces many more people in Brazil to be constantly exposed to the virus and that co-morbidities are higher in those populations as well. If all the fatty diabetics in the UK were living in a favela every day then you'd see the exact same results, but they aren't. And Bolsonaro certainly isn't either.

39 minutes ago, virginton said:

When you're rummaging around on the internet quoting 'The Jakarta Post' as an authoritative source then it's probably time to take a break from the computer for a while. You've got a serious case of the Covid fear. 

In any case, the article points out obvious reasons for the disparity: that sheer poverty forces many more people in Brazil to be constantly exposed to the virus and that co-morbidities are higher in those populations as well. If all the fatty diabetics in the UK were living in a favela every day then you'd see the exact same results, but they aren't. And Bolsonaro certainly isn't either.

It was the first result you get when you type Brazil covid deaths by age. Boris Johnson didn't live in a favella to my knowledge either, and he's 9 years younger.

It's far too simplistic to say that 65 year olds get a dose of the sniffles and I was just pointing that out. 

Edit: also, the pattern that we're experiencing here re age doesn't play out the same in the US either. Noticeabley higher mortality in younger age groups

Edited by madwullie

40 minutes ago, madwullie said:

It was the first result you get when you type Brazil covid deaths by age. Boris Johnson didn't live in a favella to my knowledge either, and he's 9 years younger.

It's far too simplistic to say that 65 year olds get a dose of the sniffles and I was just pointing that out. 

Edit: also, the pattern that we're experiencing here re age doesn't play out the same in the US either. Noticeabley higher mortality in younger age groups

You mean the US where over 40% of the adult population are already classed as fat disasters?

Edited by vikingTON

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

You mean the US where over 40% of the adult population are classed as fat disasters?

And yet which doesn't play out here where 29% of adults are obese and 65% overweight. 

And yes you're right, because obesity and poverty and race and viral load and plenty of other unknowns are an issue, it is too simplistic to say that 65 year old = mild dose of sniffles. There's far too many variables at play to fully understand boleanaro's risk👍 I mean look at Boris Johnson

Edited by madwullie

Guest JTS98
1 hour ago, virginton said:

What's wrong with the Jakarta Post compared to other newspapers? It's got a good regional reputation and has been a springboard for many reporters to go and work for more high-profile news organisations in The West.

Edited by JTS98