Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Back in March my workplace asked all staff to take 10 days unpaid leave (with payment to come out over 3 months wages opposed to 12). We were told it would help stave off redundancies etc. That didn't really happen, and staff numbers have more than halved. A long with that, they furloughed some employees and not others, all felt a bit personal and left quite a sour taste. 

Anyway, wages were set to return to normal at the end of this month, however we've just had a email asking us to take further unpaid leave. Again, ideally 10 days. We have to let them know by 4pm this afternoon as it is the payroll cut off. 

I am very reluctant to agree to it. My main concern is that I won't be able to use my actual  annual leave, and that it won't roll over to next year, or that I'll be paid for those days. 

I also think giving us 5 hours notice is an utter piss take. 

However, I do worry if I say no to the unpaid leave, will that then see me in the firing line for the next round of redundancies. 

Back in March my workplace asked all staff to take 10 days unpaid leave (with payment to come out over 3 months wages opposed to 12). We were told it would help stave off redundancies etc. That didn't really happen, and staff numbers have more than halved. A long with that, they furloughed some employees and not others, all felt a bit personal and left quite a sour taste. 
Anyway, wages were set to return to normal at the end of this month, however we've just had a email asking us to take further unpaid leave. Again, ideally 10 days. We have to let them know by 4pm this afternoon as it is the payroll cut off. 
I am very reluctant to agree to it. My main concern is that I won't be able to use my actual  annual leave, and that it won't roll over to next year, or that I'll be paid for those days. 
However, I do worry if I say no to the unpaid leave, will that then see me in the firing line for the next round of redundancies. 

Take the redundancy pay and get a new job. NAP.

19 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

I would be looking for a new job as soon as all of this is over

17 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

We're still half lockdowned...

I have a long weekend booked for N Ireland at the end of August/start of September. Odds of something close to normality for this?

37 minutes ago, mizfit said:

India are hopeful that the vaccine they’re producing can be released in August.

Is it a "world leading" vaccine though? Because that's all that seems to matter to the UK Government.

24 minutes ago, trainspotter said:

I have a long weekend booked for N Ireland at the end of August/start of September. Odds of something close to normality for this?

It'll be much the same as Scotland, I'd think.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

What would be the Government's motive in doing that?

People stop blaming them for f**k-up after f**k-up?

On 04/07/2020 at 21:45, Billy Jean King said:

They have all week to decide given the English "science" says the new system isn't safe until next Friday so calm down.

Why would the SG need 'all week' to decide whether people coming from, say, Berlin pose a meaningful risk of infection? It's perfectly clear that they do not, not least given that Scotland is already open to visitors from south of the border with a much higher rate of current infections.

This delay has got absolutely nothing to do with a more careful consideration of The Science and everything to do with the beneficial political optics of diverging from the UK Government's bungled policy. Which I'm sure those employed in Scotland's aviation sector must be thrilled about.

I saw bubonic plague (aka “Black Death”) trending on Twitter. It seems cases have been discovered in China and folk are proclaiming half the world is going to be wiped out. Probably the usual scaremongering by social media sites but if it does become a thing, I hope China would have the sense to lockdown and stop people flying to other countries before it started to get out of hand. If only they’d done that in Dec/Jan 
See the "Hello Bubonic Plague" thread already running in here. Nowt to do with China, it's on the Mongolia / Russia border apparently.

19 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why would the SG need 'all week' to decide whether people coming from, say, Berlin pose a meaningful risk of infection? It's perfectly clear that they do not, not least given that Scotland is already open to visitors from south of the border with a much higher rate of current infections.

This delay has got absolutely nothing to do with a more careful consideration of The Science and everything to do with the beneficial political optics of diverging from the UK Government's bungled policy. Which I'm sure those employed in Scotland's aviation sector must be thrilled about.

You're right, it's all about the politics and it always has been.   It must be great being able to wait and see what happens in England, wait for a bit and then put  plans out as if they're your own.

They won't need all week but they have all week as quarantine remains in place even in England until that time. I doubt Germany is the issue but plenty outwith the BJ green list need looking at carefully. NS is on record as saying it's highly likely those on their "green" list will get the same treatment here.

29 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:
I saw bubonic plague (aka “Black Death”) trending on Twitter. It seems cases have been discovered in China and folk are proclaiming half the world is going to be wiped out. Probably the usual scaremongering by social media sites but if it does become a thing, I hope China would have the sense to lockdown and stop people flying to other countries before it started to get out of hand. If only they’d done that in Dec/Jan 

See the "Hello Bubonic Plague" thread already running in here. Nowt to do with China, it's on the Mongolia / Russia border apparently.

I thought that Inner Mongolia (where a case has been found) was part of China?

5 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Just spoke to my haematologist and he says I don't have to shield anymore. My risk is as much as any 29 year old. 

the office party hard GIF

Good news! :thumsup2

2 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Don't know your circumstances or I'd tell you to grow a pair.