Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Looking like I can get back to my fives game in mid-August with 10 guys who live in different households and work in different industries. We'll be surrounded by other pitches of 10 guys who live in different households and work in different industries.
Meanwhile eg Dundee can't play Dunfermline behind closed doors till October.
Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

Isn’t that a decision made by the clubs for economic reasons rather than anything mandated by the SG?

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

Isn’t that a decision made by the clubs for economic reasons rather than anything mandated by the SG?

Professional Sport in Scotland was given the go ahead to resume at the end of June behind closed doors, so it must be an SPFL decision.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Tying a scarf, t-shirt or piece of cloth over your face is a relatively effective barrier. As has been said elsewhere, there are plenty of other countries in a similar position who made masks mandatory and who worked to produce them or obtain them. It was easily achievable.

I don't remember anyone suggesting that wearing a scarf was any use in early March. What I do remember is hospitals and care homes being unable to get hold of PPE including face masks, a situation that would have been made far more difficult if they were competing with 60 million people for them. I'm not excusing Holyrood or Westminster near criminal negligence for being totally unprepared and too slow to act, but for whatever reason that was the situation at the time.

7 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

The virus hasn't got a “99.8%” survival rate. Where I live the survival rate of recorded cases is sitting at abot 70%.

I was quoting the figure listed on the post. I think until there can be an antibody test we’ll never know for sure what the survival rate is. I’ve spoke to quite a few people who firmly believe they’ve had it but have never been tested 

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I was quoting the figure listed on the post. I think until there can be an antibody test we’ll never know for sure what the survival rate is. I’ve spoke to quite a few people who firmly believe they’ve had it but have never been tested 

Various antibody tests internationally seem to have come to the conclusion that only something like 5-7% of populations- or at least nations that had gone through lockdown - had antibodies. 

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yes that's my problem with this too, seems far to high a % when all official figures have it as a far more serious threat. My sister says she has had it as she was working with covid patients and had lost her sense of smell and had mild fever but was never tested and until a reliable antibodies test is available we will never know. According to the worldmeters site of complete cases have a 92% survival rate and the latest cases look a lot more lower risk number, this will probably be down to increased testing. Then you get such differing figures on the antibody % of population anywhere from 5-60% I've seen on different studies. 

Cases which had an outcome:
6,175,553 (92%)
Recovered / Discharged
524,826 (8%)
Deaths
Show Graph
Currently Infected Patients
4,260,397 (99%)
in Mild Condition
57,908 (1%)
Serious or Critical

That's a quite incredible tweet from Devi Sridhar tbh. Effectively telling people that regardless of what the UK Gov say, Scottish families cannot go on holiday this summer, with the added carrot of this will ensure kids go back to school full time in August. That's fine, but A she can't personally deliver that promise and B, it's a dreadful look if the latter doesn't happen.

Secondly, if the restrictions do not apply in England, anyone flying from English airports will surely not be required to give details on return?

It's just another disaster for Scottish Airports as Scottish holiday makers will just get the train to Manchester Airport, save money anyway, and waltz round any Scottish restrictions.

In terms of the facemask debate, I suspect that it's relative weighting of effectiveness in relation to the full lockdown we put in place was low enough that it might have made little practical difference to case loads. My guess is that a decision there was based on behavioural modelling, and that keeping a simple message about 2M, don't go anywhere etc, etc, was important and that they didn't want to confuse the issue by introducing the idea of reduced risk via mask wearing incase it compromised compliance with the stricter lockdown procedures.

Now, with lockdown on it's way out the relative weighting of wearing masks as a strategy for reducing infections becomes far more prominent, and therefore is the right time to promote, or even legislate for their use.

In an alternate reality where we'd shut our borders to everyone as soon as cases appeared in Europe, some combination of social distancing that would have closed some but not all of the retail and hospitality sector, allied with legislating for indoor mask wear might well have acted to prevent us ever needing a lockdown. However, once we got to the point where lockdown was necessary, and if you look at the Modelled R values you can see its only the lockdown that finally knocks R below 1, then lockdown was the only thing that really mattered.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That's a quite incredible tweet from Devi Sridhar tbh. Effectively telling people that regardless of what the UK Gov say, Scottish families cannot go on holiday this summer, with the added carrot of this will ensure kids go back to school full time in August. That's fine, but A she can't personally deliver that promise and B, it's a dreadful look if the latter doesn't happen.

Secondly, if the restrictions do not apply in England, anyone flying from English airports will surely not be required to give details on return?

It's just another disaster for Scottish Airports as Scottish holiday makers will just get the train to Manchester Airport, save money anyway, and waltz round any Scottish restrictions.

I dunno, I certainly couldn't be arsed with that journey, but I dare say many would.

I suppose the bigger issue that would prevent that would be a closure across the border....

How did the Czech Republic, Slovakia etc. achieve ~100% mask use within literally days of declaring lockdown in March?I  It certainly wasn't because they had bought their way to the top of the global supply chain or had greater manufacturing capacity sitting around doing nothing than Scotland. That is quite simply a bogus and bullshit excuse for a failed policy choice.
Because the citizens of those countries are not roasters politicising a public health measure like half the gammons in Scotland have.

4 minutes ago, renton said:

I dunno, I certainly couldn't be arsed with that journey, but I dare say many would.

I suppose the bigger issue that would prevent that would be a closure across the border....

It's a 3 and a bit hour train journey from Glasgow Central, or a 3 hour drive in a pretty straight line.

Appreciate some might not be arsed with it, but it's a very slight inconvenience if you are dead set on saving something from the first ¾ of 2020.

In fairness unless any hypothetical Scottish restrictions are actually policed, they’ll be effectively made-up like the current UK quarantine. If I was so minded I doubt I’d even bother with the pretence of going to England.

I don’t fully understand the fight that the Scottish Government is picking here though. Seems to be based on a couple of ‘amber’ countries that they’d like to see go red. The changes they’ll make will be minimal but the fight to get there will open to all sorts of accusations of being ‘anti-business’ etc.

It’s pretty common for Scottish holidaymakers to fly from Manchester, I know quite a few people who’ve done it.

There seems to be still "checks" and measures on entry just not quarantine. It appears that temp checks and entry screening forms at both ends will be part of this so details going to be collected. The air bridges will be nothing like normal airport border entry.