Coronavirus (COVID-19)

So for you we need to have zero cases globally and a vaccine/confirmed cure before we do anything ever again?
Normal life won't return until we do imo.
We can try, im sure the virus will stop at the pub door perhaps?
I get that people are desperate but its not black and white, its also possible for it to not spread as much as before but that seems less scientific than it spreading like wildfire as before.
Outdoors seems ok so why not just be happy that we can enjoy going outside and maybe not have foreign holidays and getting pished every week for a few months?
Is it really that difficult to be considerate?

5 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

why not just be happy that we can enjoy going outside and maybe not have foreign holidays and getting pished every week for a few months?

Because all of that sounds shite

7 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

For a virus that seriously affects a very small percentage of the population, folk are willing to accept life as we knew it is over. It’s a very bizarre way of thinking. For people under the age of 65 or those with no underlying health conditions, they’re probably more likely to die because of a drunk driver rather than covid 🙄

The only person I ever see saying this on this thread is you. You seem to be under the impression that anyone who is happy with any sort of restrictions whatsoever is 'accepting that life will never be the same again' or whatever similar hyperbole you come up with that day. Its not a binary choice between 'do nothing' and 'nothing will ever be the same again for the rest of our lives'. Your constant attempts to paint anyone who is even mildly cautious about lifting restrictions as being in the latter camp doesn't add anything to the discussion other than giving you something to argue against that nobody has actually said.

While I personally wouldn't categorise the risk of infection in terms of "very, very low" I would agree that the current risk of infection in Scotland is greatly reduced from what it was. 

What we don't know is how the further easing of restrictions is going to impact upon the rate of infection in the future. 

I would say the signs and evidence we have in that regard are highly encouraging. 

Over the last few months there has been a gradual easing of restrictions (I remember being chuffed when we were told we could exercise outside more than once a day) and none of those have come with a spike in infections. Quite the reverse. 

It's been a gradual easing of restrictions and that comes with frustrations but the fact that we are seeing new infections/deaths etc. in such relative low numbers is for me evidence that the approach thus far has been and is working. 

For me though that isn't evidence to suggest that we speed up the process. There is no logic in thinking that because the risk of infection is currently lowering that that will remain the case as more restrictions are eased and the level of social interaction increases. There is at the very least a theoretical risk that that will see a rise. 

Let's keep the heid here. Let's keep the same gradual, staged, move out of Lockdown reviewing as we go the impact the easing of each restriction brings and act accordingly as the result of those reviews. 

I'm desperate to do the things I love doing. Hell, I'm desperate for a fucking hair cut but let's not undo what we've achieved by a, IMO, unnecessary sprint to the finishing line. 

Because all of that sounds shite
Its the future until cases drop to low figures and we have track trace or a good treatment/vaccine.
We can just pretend that it doesn't exist and get on with things but I'm not sure how long that would last?
Eventually the nhs would be overrun and things would break down.
Best case scenario without full testing or a vaccine is limited freedom.
I hate that as much as anyone but have come to terms with it instead of posting hundreds of graphs and figures every day to convince myself that its safe to go back to before.

This graph is a pretty good representation of why less and less people are dying.

From an ICU perspective, we've not had a day with more than 1 newly admitted patient since at least 25th May.

Screenshot_20200702-111452_Opera.jpg

16 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Normal life won't return until we do imo.
We can try, im sure the virus will stop at the pub door perhaps?
I get that people are desperate but its not black and white, its also possible for it to not spread as much as before but that seems less scientific than it spreading like wildfire as before.

It's clearly black and white enough for you to have a shrill meltdown about the catastrophic risks every five pages or so on this thread though.

Outdoors seems ok so why not just be happy that we can enjoy going outside and maybe not have foreign holidays and getting pished every week for a few months?
Is it really that difficult to be considerate?

Neither of the activities that you've cited qualify as morally inconsiderate behaviour in the current context though, so take your moralising Helen Lovejoy act elsewhere.

Edited by vikingTON

Just now, D.A.F.C said:

Its the future until cases drop to low figures and we have track trace

For me, <10 cases per day is low, as is <1 death per day. What, in your opinion, do low figures look like?

We have Test & Protect in Scotland.

28 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Jesus H Christ! You cannae see the difference between a privileged family who gets a luxuriant lifestyle paid for by the taxpayers (who have no say in the matter) and me paying voluntarily to a political party.

25 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

^^^Verge of fanboy tears

^^^Disnae hae an answer so reverts tae abuse

Loving the idea btw that we should simply be delirious with gratitude at being granted the supreme liberty of being outside, as if we're living in the Dordogne and not a country where the weather forecast for this weekend is just like the last one - 15 degrees and pishing down - at the supposed height of summer.

Turns out that people didn't really need to pish their frilly knickers at the idea of people going to Kelvingrove Park or Loch Lomond every day after all.

Edited by vikingTON

12 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Its the future until cases drop to low figures and we have track trace or a good treatment/vaccine.
We can just pretend that it doesn't exist and get on with things but I'm not sure how long that would last?
Eventually the nhs would be overrun and things would break down.
Best case scenario without full testing or a vaccine is limited freedom.
I hate that as much as anyone but have come to terms with it instead of posting hundreds of graphs and figures every day to convince myself that its safe to go back to before.

We have track and trace in Scotland. It appears to be working.

Loving the idea btw that we should simply be delirious with gratitude at being granted the supreme liberty of being outside, as if we're living in the Dordogne and not a country where the weather forecast for this weekend is just like the last one - 15 degrees and pishing down - at the supposed height of summer.
Turns out that people didn't really need to pish their frilly knickers at the idea of people going to Kelvingrove Park or Loch Lomond every day after all.
But thats not the argument though is it?
Indoors is completely different to outdoors.
Do you want to make a bet on cases rising/not rising after pubs reopen?
£10 says they do. For charity.

There is always the option to not partake in visiting shops/pubs or whatever and maintain reduced social contact with people. The risks of the virus are well known now. If you're not comfortable with them, minimise your exposure. 

Relaxing the restrictions doesn't mean that it's back to normal and everyone has to join in. 

Edited by Michael W

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

That would be fair enough if you hadn’t mocked those who have held those views from the start

Anyone who held the same "views" at "the start" about reopening as they do now given all the statistics then and now is deserving of mockery.

Edited by Marshmallo

We have track and trace in Scotland. It appears to be working.
Under no real test at present.

Look at Leicester, they had track and trace but it spread into a cluster and needed lockdown. To me track and trace is what south Korea is doing. Not a mickey mouse call centre like what we have.

That would be fair enough if you hadn’t mocked those who have held those views from the start

This is the biggest lot of shite I’ve seen you spout, and that takes some doing.

7 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

But thats not the argument though is it?
Indoors is completely different to outdoors.
Do you want to make a bet on cases rising/not rising after pubs reopen?
£10 says they do. For charity.

The issue is not whether cases spike, the issue is whether there is a sufficient spike to push the R value back above 1 on a geographically wide enough scale to tip the virus back into an uncontrolled growth rate.