Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, charlie king mvp said:

That’s not right. I’m looking at the leaflet the Scottish Government sent out last week and it says you can stop isolating immediately if your test is negative.

That's good to know then

10 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

More evidence that immunity is more widespread then we first thought.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53248660

Lots of "coulds", "mays" and '"doesn't necessarily bring us nearer to herd immunities" in there.

In short, we can hope the findings signify something positive, but hardly hang our hats on it and, in fairness, the article says this in noting that more analysis is needed for firmer conclusions we can have confidence in.

5 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I’ll be surprised if you get an honour Willie but good luck anyway emoji6.png

doh.gif.722b00ee5440d882392bf10f2a4708c3.gif

2 hours ago, John MacLean said:

While England and Scotland take different approaches to the move out of Lockdown, or at the very least move at a different paces, then I think it is important that we continue to get a Scottish Government daily update even as repetitive as they are becoming. 

I was worried at the time that the approaches in England and Scotland first started to diverge that people would take their lead from a very English centric broadcast media* with the result that the differences in Scotland's approach wouldn't be as visible and as a consequence, intentionally or not, ignored. 

I don't think that has happened largely because of these daily briefings. They have helped highlight the fact there is a different road map being followed in Scotland than there is in England. That's not to say that one is better than the other, just that there is a need for those differences be as clearly articulated as possible. 

If they stopped doing them now then it would be the English narrative that would dominate and as a result could lead to a potential increase in non-compliance with restriction measures still in place in Scotland but not in England. 

*An example of why broadcasting should have been a devolved issue. 

Excellent post

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Or people who aren't that interested in her daily briefing could always just not watch it. Find it a bit mad folk are complaining about being given information on a daily basis. 

Another excellent post

1 hour ago, Pcplum said:

You’re like a broken record.

I take it you're one of the Windsor arse lickers.

1 hour ago, FFCinthearea said:

I agree 100%.   Malaria kills hundreds of thousands and infects tens of millions every year and we don't see countries shutting down because of it.  They go about their normal business and take precautions to limit it's spread.

Presumably because getting mosquitoes to cooperate with lockdown measures has so far proven difficult.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Going to be some laugh for employers this winter when staff get a cold and develop a cough so need to book a test (which will be negative) then isolate for 14 days...

Phone in to say not coming in to work as have symptom 

Same day phone for a test , and either same day or next you get tested then next day or same get results. If negative back next day however if unwell can stay off but be under normal sickness pay.

We already had plenty people who at the start took the 2 weeks off because someone in their household had symptoms but didnt get tested.

I see Sweden's 7 day average number of deaths has dropped to 5.

Looking at the shape of the trends of this average, it's not clear that maintaing our lockdown is having any impact on this trend.

Screenshot_20200701-185912_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20200701-185929_Opera.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

24 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I see Sweden's 7 day average number of deaths has dropped to 5.

Looking at the shape of the trends of this average, it's not clear that maintaing our lockdown is having any impact on this trend.

Screenshot_20200701-185912_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20200701-185929_Opera.jpg

No I think I'm hindsight the tories would have preferred to take the Swedish route as we were too late and too half-arsed and ultimately, have fared little better than the swedes who didn't (afaik) completely destroy their economy in the process. That's not to say I don't think we shouldn't have locked down - just that it's another example of their utter unfitness for governing beyond 3 word dog whistle slogans. 

At the same time, if they hadn't locked down, Scotland couldn't have either, and we would be in far worse nick than we (pretty luckily tbh) find ourselves in. 

Interesting too that Sweden clearly feel they've failed, because they're not comparing themselves to us basket cases, but countries that were actually semi-competent in getting to grips with this. 

I wonder if any swedes would actually be in England's position rather than their own. Obviously completely hypothetical, but I reckon opinion would be pretty split on that. 

What a fucking mess. 

The i reporting today that Police Chiefs in England are predicting ‘New Year’s Eve’ levels of revelry on Saturday. It doesn’t appear that there is any hope of restraint, with one Federation leader fearing ‘a return to A&E departments resembling a circus full of drunken clowns’! Let’s hope not eh!?

The i reporting today that Police Chiefs in England are predicting ‘New Year’s Eve’ levels of revelry on Saturday. It doesn’t appear that there is any hope of restraint, with one Federation leader fearing ‘a return to A&E departments resembling a circus full of drunken clowns’! Let’s hope not eh!?

I’ve decided I’m going to hold off visiting a pub until September.

Just know too many idiots are going to ruin it in the first couple of weeks.

9 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I wonder if any swedes would actually be in England's position rather than their own. Obviously completely hypothetical, but I reckon opinion would be pretty split on that. 

I can't imagine so. Why would they give up their pretty much restriction free lifestyle for a similar death rate? There is nothing about the UK's response that they could be envious of.

A fairer question would be to ask them if they would want to swap with their Nordic neighbours.