Coronavirus (COVID-19)

37 minutes ago, Paco said:

This is alarming. The UK Government aren’t releasing local data on the vast majority of new cases, so it’s impossible for MPs/local authorities/scientists to see localised spikes or trends, until the point where the government will presumably give them a call and a bit of a heads up.

Today alone we’ve had Matt Hancock saying that knowing how many people were tested in a day is ‘not meaningful’ when a child could tell you it’s a key metric, and the government also don’t know how many test results are being returned within 24 hours as was promised to be the case 100% of the time by today, by the actual Prime Minister. But the government (read: Serco) don’t have a clue.

The use of statistics by this government is beyond disgraceful, it’s dangerous. Double counting of tests, counting individual gloves as pieces of PPE, saving a batch of postal tests to ‘hit’ the 100k testing target, removing international comparisons when it started showing how badly we were doing. It’s alarming that anyone trusts a single word they say, at this point.

I certainly wouldn’t be sitting comfortably if I was a Mayor in England, trusting this government to give a nice timely heads up if things begin to look bad.

It seems absolutely bizarre at a time when local control more than ever is vital, the govt are consistently making moves to centralise power in WM

2 hours ago, Paco said:

The use of statistics by this government is beyond disgraceful, it’s dangerous. Double counting of tests, counting individual gloves as pieces of PPE, saving a batch of postal tests to ‘hit’ the 100k testing target, removing international comparisons when it started showing how badly we were doing. It’s alarming that anyone trusts a single word they say, at this point.

The UK Statistics Authority (independent regulator for statistics) has twice had a go at the UK government over their use of statistics, but have previously commended the Scottish Gov for their clarity. Most recently they sent a letter to Hancock stating

"The way the data are analysed and presented currently gives them limited value for the first purpose (help understand the epidemic). The aim seems to be to show the largest possible number of tests, even at the expense of understanding. It is also hard to believe the statistics work to support the testing programme itself. The statistics and analysis serve neither purpose well."

"The testing statistics still fall well short of its expectations. It is not surprising that given their inadequacy data on testing are so widely criticised and often mistrusted."

Edited by s_dog

They are though. The BBC News website is currently prominently carrying the story about excess deaths being below the five year average for the first time since March on their front page.
I'm not sure what you want the media or bodies like the WHO to do to be honest. The pandemic isn't over, whilst we are hopefully on a positive trend now there will be bad news stories along the way and when those happen they can't just be swept under the carpet. They have to be reported on and responded to. It can't just be a constant stream of happy Covid news in order to lift the mood of the nation from now on, that's not what the function of the media is. The Leicester lockdown story that you are complaining about today, for example, isn't 'if, buts and maybes'. Its a real thing thats happening. It obviously has to be reported on and talked about given that a spike in infections severe enough to lock down a fairly sizeable city is a significant event in the UK's recovery. 
Aye, imagine the World Health Organisation looking at the big picture worldwide, where cases are still going up at a terrifying rate in some places, rather than thinking it's almost over because Scotland are down to just about single figure deaths per week.

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

What's the thoughts on the 2m SD review ? Sounds to me that NS is preparing us for no reduction at this review.

Dunno, apparently sage were pretty raging at it being reduced in England, but I've not read any data recently either backing it or saying its a bad idea. 

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Dunno, apparently sage were pretty raging at it being reduced in England, but I've not read any data recently either backing it or saying its a bad idea. 

Oh I dunno. I’m sure there will be a graph along in a minute.

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Also just read on twitter that MPs have voted to keep 2m in the HoC. Make of that what you will. 

4 hours ago, Paco said:

This is alarming. The UK Government aren’t releasing local data on the vast majority of new cases, so it’s impossible for MPs/local authorities/scientists to see localised spikes or trends, until the point where the government will presumably give them a call and a bit of a heads up.

Today alone we’ve had Matt Hancock saying that knowing how many people were tested in a day is ‘not meaningful’ when a child could tell you it’s a key metric, and the government also don’t know how many test results are being returned within 24 hours as was promised to be the case 100% of the time by today, by the actual Prime Minister. But the government (read: Serco) don’t have a clue.

I certainly wouldn’t be sitting comfortably if I was a Mayor in England, trusting this government to give a nice timely heads up if things begin to look bad.

In the midst of the pandemic when people were constantly pulling up the Scottish government for their performance on testing, PPE being worse than England I often wondered if this would prove to be the case. They've probably suspected all along that the English figures are bogus, but without any proof they've probably just had to suck it up and wait for the story to inevitably come out several weeks or months down the line.

I've no doubt the Scottish government have occasionally been slightly economical with the truth too, but nowhere near to the same extent.

27 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

What's the thoughts on the 2m SD review ? Sounds to me that NS is preparing us for no reduction at this review.

I imagine the "why?" question will be asked either way. Would be interesting to see the reasons both for and against following the English approach of "1m+"

Hearing of an outbreak in Lossiemouth, at the RAF base (two contractors have tested positive). The runway is getting repaired just now, and contractors have been coming up to do the work from England on a weekly basis. The locals have been complaining for months now, and this was why.

The contractors use the shops in the town and live in hotels there mon-thu, so worrying for Lossie and it's residents.

Lossie could be become Scotland's Leicester

Edited by Steven W

2 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Hearing of an outbreak in Lossiemouth, at the RAF base (two contractors have tested positive). The runway is getting repaired just now, and contractors have been coming up to do the work from England on a weekly basis. The locals have been complaining for months now, and this was why.

The contractors use the shops in the town and live in hotels there mon-thu, so worrying for Lossie and it's residents.

Not enough to stop them taking the booking I bet.

23 minutes ago, Steven W said:

https://www.grampianonline.co.uk/news/two-covid-cases-confirmed-among-raf-lossiemouth-runway-workers-204487/

Potentially a big story. But hopefully not.

47 minutes ago, Steven W said:

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
43 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:
Not enough to stop them taking the booking I bet.

Are hotels allowed to be open as hotels (as opposed to housing homeless etc)

According to Steven contractors are staying in them. I'd have though the RAF would have put them in on site accommodation.