Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, virginton said:

I strongly suspect that the only thing that it bollocks here though is the 'change them every 20 minutes' claim, given that's I) insane ii) massively wasteful for the employer's perspective and not based on any health advice whatsoever. It's probably coming from the same University of Life approved thinking that claims you get carbon dioxide poisoning from wearing them as well.

The lengths of bullshit that people will go to to avoid a cost-free improvement to their own workplace safety is baffling, all because it poses a minor inconvenience to them.

👍🏻

1 minute ago, virginton said:

I strongly suspect that the only thing that it bollocks here though is the 'change them every 20 minutes' claim, given that's I) insane ii) massively wasteful for the employer's perspective and not based on any health advice whatsoever. 

It's not a claim. It is what my employer has advised.

13 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Have they spotted why it’s so bad in Leicester?

Their thick sounding mayor seems desperate to pin it on brown folk. I'm sure I also heard him I heard him at some point today trying the Trump excuse of "we're carrying out too many tests"

Analysis

Tony Roe, BBC East Midlands political correspondent

Just over a week ago, Health Secretary Matt Hancock revealed what he called an "outbreak" of Covid-19 In Leicester. In the first fortnight of June, 658 people had tested positive. With 2,500 cases in the city since March it's certainly a worrying statistical spike.

North Evington was identified as an area of the city with a surge in cases - it's a community of tightly-packed terraces, mixed in with old industrial buildings and places of worship for many faiths. It's a good representation of Leicester as a multicultural city.

A mobile centre has been set up this week in Spinney Hill Park so people can now walk to get a test. But the council says it needs the data from positive tests quickly if it is to react.

It says it didn't get the data from the first fortnight of June until Thursday, so only this weekend has been able to plot where the Covid-19 cases are.

The data also doesn't give an ethnicity breakdown, which mayor Sir Peter Soulsby says would be vital in helping understand which parts of the community are being affected by the virus - he's asked the health secretary for this data.

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Supermarket staff have, throughout this whole process, been amongst the worst at adhering to the rules. I've lost count of the number of times I've been in a shop looking at the shelves and a staff member with no mask on has come ambling across right next to me to carry out an important task which clearly couldn't wait until I'm away, such as adjusting the alignment of a product on the shelves or picking an item for click and collect.

Yup. Right at the height of lockdown you’d regularly see groups of them clogging up an aisle, forcing people to squeeze past them at a baw hairs distance. Then the next minute one of them would be practically shagging you to put something on a shelf.

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Supermarket staff have, throughout this whole process, been amongst the worst at adhering to the rules. I've lost count of the number of times I've been in a shop looking at the shelves and a staff member with no mask on has come ambling across right next to me to carry out an important task which clearly couldn't wait until I'm away, such as adjusting the alignment of a product on the shelves or picking an item for click and collect.

Bus drivers are also completely irresponsible and wear masks about 50% if you're lucky around here (where there are no physical screens whatsoever). I can fully understand why they don't want to start a conflict with some jakey trying to get on their bus without wearing one but they should still be obliged to follow the actual rules for public transport themselves. But if it gets in the way of taking their mate round the route twice for a blether then it's obviously legit to ditch them.

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Whats Boris going to open up this week to take the heat off? Nightclubs or gyms 

Playing Devil's advocate here, but cases in the UK are falling overall.

If there are a relatively large proportion of cases in one area then that area should see measures re-instated in an effort to control this, but it also indicates that cases are falling everywhere else.

This is exactly the approach required at this stage.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Like the idea that people working on buses and in supermarkets should be forced to wear masks for 8 hour shifts to encourage passengers and shoppers to wear one for 15 minutes.

Edited by welshbairn

Guest SJP79

Was'nt too long ago that when you mentioned a second wave here people were shouting you down for scaremongering..............

38 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Have they spotted why it’s so bad in Leicester?

People being daft and ignoring restrictions is the only logical answer here. There will be many others that do likewise and get away with it, right enough. 

I'm quite surprised that this actually happening. Unusually decisive from the Government to implement what will in most liklihood be an unpopular measure. Unquestionably the right choice though. 

No surprise Good News Johnson was nowhere to be seen when it was announced, right enough. 

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Like the idea that people working on buses and in supermarkets should be forced to wear masks for 8 hour shifts to encourage passengers and shoppers to wear one for 15 minutes.

Lots of workers have been wearing face coverings for 8/10/12 hour shifts per day as it is. And they're not interacting with the general public to anywhere near the same degree as the above two categories.

The straightforward fact of the matter is that widespread use of face coverings are there primarily to protect the staff rather than the public in these environments, so by putting their narrow desire for convenience ahead of promoting prudent safety precautions in they're putting themselves, their families and their colleagues at greater risk. It's common or garden stupidity on display at all sorts of levels.

Edited by vikingTON