Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Have some faith in Magic said:

Leicester back on lockdown. 

Shops shut, schools closing down. 

They were interviewing locals who said that it was fine - the wee shops outside Leicester are open so they can use them.

Great understanding of lockdown there.

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Probably doesn't want to have to change masks 20+ times a shift. That sounds like a pain in the arse

He could also do what plenty of other people have done and buy a mult-use one that doesn’t require to be changed over as often.

Just now, eez-eh said:

He could also do what plenty of other people have done and buy a mult-use one that doesn’t require to be changed over as often.

As an employee he'd likely be bound to wear whatever masks his employer provides.

18 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Probably doesn't want to have to change masks 20+ times a shift. That sounds like a pain in the arse

You do not need to change any sort of mask 20 times a shift and in any case you could simply enforce a basic face covering (properly worn) rather than a shitey disposable.

This all smacks of excuses as to not be slightly inconvenienced in your job, which is a rather self-defeating gesture given that the public pick up on that signal, don't bother their arse themselves the next time and so put the staff at a much higher risk of infection than would otherwise be the case. 

Edited by vikingTON

11 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

The virus is being suppressed at high speed towards to the point of elimination but MASKS MUST BE MADE MANDATORY!11!!!

It won't be eliminated anytime soon while we've got an open land border with England. And had these straightforward and little cost measures been implemented months ago then we would have gotten a fair bit closer to, say, Slovakia (same population: 1600 cases; 28 deaths) than our own laissez-faire shambles.

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

As an employee he'd likely be bound to wear whatever masks his employer provides.

That's not how it works in practice. You can be obliged to wear a face covering properly in your workplace but not to wear whatever specific covering (if any) is offered to you. Not that there's really a '20 times a shift' disposable mask on the market because that would be the most pointless product of all time. 

Edited by vikingTON

18 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He thinks it should be mandatory, which means he thinks he should have to do that.

I'd hope the company I work for would provide me with better masks. This has been asked.

Right now I am not going to wear 32 masks a day, on top of washing my hands.

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

You do not need to change any sort of mask 20 times a shift and in any case you could simply enforce a basic face covering (properly worn) rather than a shitey disposable.

Pretty sure he said a couple of days ago his employer requires any masks chosen to be worn to be disposable and changed every 20 minutes.

You and I can point out how bollocks that is until the cows come home, but ultimately we don't employ him, nor do we have to choose to go against what our employer is requiring.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Have they spotted why it’s so bad in Leicester?

From bbc

There have been 2,987 positive cases in Leicester since the pandemic began, with 866 of those - 29% - reported in the two weeks to 23 June.  

Pretty scary how it’s surged so much, can’t say I noticed anything different there with any protests or major parties etc.

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

This all smacks of excuses as to not be slightly inconvenienced in your job, which is a rather self-defeating gesture given that the public pick up on that signal, don't bother their arse themselves the next time and so put the staff at a much higher risk of infection than would otherwise be the case. 

Supermarket staff have, throughout this whole process, been amongst the worst at adhering to the rules. I've lost count of the number of times I've been in a shop looking at the shelves and a staff member with no mask on has come ambling across right next to me to carry out an important task which clearly couldn't wait until I'm away, such as adjusting the alignment of a product on the shelves or picking an item for click and collect.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

such as adjusting the alignment of a product on the shelves or picking an item for click and collect.

Hello Craig.

This was my favourite part.

I take it you reported the staff member for not being 2 metres away from you or you said something to the person?

Edited by G_Man1985

It'll be 100 masks a day by the end of tonight at this rate. 

Loving the treatment of 'washing my hands' as yet another onerous burden of working in a supermarket, as opposed to standard good hygiene practice. The OBE can't be far off now!

18 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Pretty sure he said a couple of days ago his employer requires any masks chosen to be worn to be disposable and changed every 20 minutes.

You and I can point out how bollocks that is until the cows come home, but ultimately we don't employ him, nor do we have to choose to go against what our employer is requiring.

I strongly suspect that the only thing that is bollocks here though is the 'change them every 20 minutes' claim, given that's i) insane ii) massively wasteful for the employer's perspective and iii) not based on any health advice whatsoever. It's probably coming from the same University of Life approved thinking that claims you get carbon dioxide poisoning from wearing them as well.

The lengths of bullshit that people will go to to avoid a cost-free improvement to their own workplace safety is baffling, all because it poses a minor inconvenience to them.

Edited by vikingTON

11 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

I'd hope the company I work for would provide me with better masks. This has been asked.

Right now I am not going to wear 32 masks a day, on top of washing my hands.

Are you telling me no staff are capable of sourcing their own reusable ones?

The company should be providing them but if you feel that strongly about it I’d assume you’d have gotten better ones for your own use.