Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:
2 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:
I work in one of the biggest retail shops in scotland. Carried on through out this. Regardless of what has went on outside the store so far nobody has had the virus staff wise ( for all the people that have had a test). We dont have a station when you leave the shop for you to sanitize your hands. 
I'm also not the police . 
The last line has pretty much happened throughout this. ( all be it I see the minority)
Cant be fucked quoting someone else but dobbies is doing great with the elderly wearing masks but they rarely do it in a supermarket?  

You don't seem to like the public much. Are you sure you're in the right job?

He works in retail. Anyone who still "likes" the public after even a short stint in that sector either isn't public-facing, or is heavily medicated.

I'm occasionally jealous of 7-11 counter jockeys who have sawn-off shotguns under the counter.

4 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yeah the online bookies certainly helped kill the ones in Girvan. There used to be 3, last year William Hill closed and now it’s only Ladbrokes, and like you say it’s mostly just old men in there to fill their afternoon. Hopefully your wife’s one will be safe enough but god knows how’s long they can last with no machines and no TVs

The FOBT machines? Who will be sorry to see the back of them, except bookies?

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The FOBT machines? Who will be sorry to see the back of them, except bookies?

A pattern's beginning to emerge to explain the intense impatience with lockdown.

5 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I take it she works in the bookies? I was wondering if the machines would still be in use as that’s all I ever use. Honestly can’t see the local bookies here breaking even with income against paying wages. Maybe it bigger cities or towns it will be ok, but in the Girvan one I’d imagine it’s been dead

4 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yeah the online bookies certainly helped kill the ones in Girvan. There used to be 3, last year William Hill closed and now it’s only Ladbrokes, and like you say it’s mostly just old men in there to fill their afternoon. Hopefully your wife’s one will be safe enough but god knows how’s long they can last with no machines and no TVs

19 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Czech Republic has upgraded the UK to Green in its traffic light system, good news for us going there in September.

I think most people would probably rank the UK  being worse than Portugal - assume Portugal is orange due to a recent increase in cases rather than anything else? 

Then again, 451 in a country of just over 10m is quite a lot. Proportionately the UK was last at a similar level in mid to late May. 

55 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Aye, he'll have saved up about £3k over the lock down and spend it in an hour the day they open.

I honestly only ever go to the bookies before a game I’m going to, and I put a bet on for the outcome of it. I like to use the machines as it limits my need to interact with people! @welshbairn

36 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Masks need to be made mandatory in shops. People just won’t bother their arse otherwise. It doesn’t help either that no staff are bothering with it either.

Agreed.

But even at that im not sure people would bother. I clocked a bus driver whilst I was out running this evening with no face mask. 

Agreed.
But even at that im not sure people would bother. I clocked a bus driver whilst I was out running this evening with no face mask. 

Bus drivers don’t have to wear them, certainly not in Edinburgh. My brother drives for Lothian, they were told that they didn’t have to wear them as they have a screen on the cab and they tend to be quite removed from the passengers anyway.

Curiously though, they were also told that drivers cannot and shouldn’t be enforcing the wearing of masks - they can’t refuse someone on just for not wearing them, despite the guidance from the government. The guidance from head office is just to “not engage”.

12 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Bus drivers don’t have to wear them, certainly not in Edinburgh. My brother drives for Lothian, they were told that they didn’t have to wear them as they have a screen on the cab and they tend to be quite removed from the passengers anyway.

Curiously though, they were also told that drivers cannot and shouldn’t be enforcing the wearing of masks - they can’t refuse someone on just for not wearing them, despite the guidance from the government. The guidance from head office is just to “not engage”.

Wearing one for a short bus journey is a lot easier than wearing one all day as a driver, especially in hot weather.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Masks need to be made mandatory in shops. People just won’t bother their arse otherwise. It doesn’t help either that no staff are bothering with it either.

Well seeing that our resident people person shop worker red dotted this, at the thought of workers actually setting an appropriate hygiene standard for the scum public entering their place of work.

It should be obligatory for everyone in that enclosed environment and a disciplinary offence for employees who just can't be arsed. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

I think most people would probably rank the UK  being worse than Portugal - assume Portugal is orange due to a recent increase in cases rather than anything else? 

Then again, 451 in a country of just over 10m is quite a lot. Proportionately the UK was last at a similar level in mid to late May. 

The traffic light systems in most countries will be as much the product of political and business lobbying as much as any consistent public health grounds. That the UK government has flagged their policy in the media for about a week now but still hasn't actually produced anything suggests that they're still trying to square those interests.

Edited by vikingTON

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Well seeing that our resident people person shop worker red dotted this, at the thought of workers actually setting an appropriate hygiene standard for the scum public entering their place of work.

It should be obligatory for everyone in that enclosed environment and a disciplinary offence for employees who just can't be arsed. 

Sturgeon should make it mandatory. I have already stated this before. She hasnt.

If it was mandatory and employees didnt wear them then yes disciplinary action would be taken.

However this isnt the case at this moment in time.

14 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Sturgeon should make it mandatory. I have already stated this before. She hasnt.

If it was mandatory and employees didnt wear them then yes disciplinary action would be taken.

If you think Sturgeon should make them mandatory, that implies that you think they are useful. Given that is the case, why would you choose not to wear one?

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If you think Sturgeon should make them mandatory, that implies that you think they are useful. Given that is the case, why would you choose not to wear one?

Probably doesn't want to have to change masks 20+ times a shift. That sounds like a pain in the arse

24 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Why does there need to be a law imposed for organisations to take responsibility for the safety of their own working environment? There are plenty of occupations in which mask use has already been enforced in the workplace without Nicola Sturgeon telling them to take that action. Supermarkets as a large indoor public space should follow suit.