Coronavirus (COVID-19)

So not through NS' doing summer trips to France, Spain and Greece (and Ireland?) are going to be fair game and quarantine free.
I've got a weeks holiday in July, and there's flights from Scotland to Spain and France (and Ireland). It's been a rather rubbish year (particularly for my 5 year old son) and a summer holiday is tempting, but a fair chunk of me feels having got the numbers down to what they are in Scotland, it would be a tad irresponsible (although perfectly legal) to holiday abroad at this point in time.
I was critical of NS for not easing the lockdown sooner, but fair enough she now has begun to. I'd hate to think that what's been achieved could be for nothing due to Scots filling planes up and bringing the virus back with them.
What's the P&B opinion on trips abroad in July?

I don’t fancy going abroad and think it’s sheer madness that people are being allowed to without restrictions on returning.
We are only just getting the 5 mile guidance lifted here. It just seems like the Westminster Government just wants to give out ‘good news’ with out considering the consequences( no surprise there!)
My only ‘holiday’ plans had been visiting the in-laws in Sussex. It’s their Golden Wedding on 1st August and though the actual party they had planned is now off till next year they still want immediate family round on the day.
I am not sure where we will stay yet as normally stay with them but a bit uneasy about staying there for any long period of time. May end up camping but imagine campsites could be mobbed down south. One advantage is that the chavs may have gone abroad!
Looking at Bournemouth earlier this week I think we will give our usual day trips to Brighton a miss this time as well.
In all honesty I would personally much prefer spending a few days in the Highlands.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it eventually turns out that variations in Government action had little effect on outcomes, and the major factors were age demographics, how the elderly were looked after (care homes or by families), social behaviour norms including face masks, travel frequency and to and from where, climatic conditions, how people congregate etc. etc.

P.S. Hope you're feeling a bit better this morning.

Lack of provision of PPE would also be a factor, our government had three or four weeks extra to prepare for this (seeing what was happeneing in Spain & Italy) and basically wasted it, imo.

I'm feeling a bit better, thanks. If I was still feeling like I did yesterday I don't think I'd be out of bed yet.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it eventually turns out that variations in Government action had little effect on outcomes, and the major factors were age demographics, how the elderly were looked after (care homes or by families), social behaviour norms including face masks, travel frequency and to and from where, climatic conditions, how people congregate etc. etc.

P.S. Hope you're feeling a bit better this morning.

I'd imagine if you were to conduct a full analysis once it's all done, how many 'infected' got in before the lockdown will be right up there as a variable.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Couple of points.

The Scottish tourist industry is going to be desperate for our support. They're really struggling, and so need the business. Hopefully they'll get it.

That'll depend on whether their busybody, NIMBY councillors still want to throw outsiders into a wickerman for having the temerity to visit.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
4 hours ago, Steven W said:
So not through NS' doing summer trips to France, Spain and Greece (and Ireland?) are going to be fair game and quarantine free.
I've got a weeks holiday in July, and there's flights from Scotland to Spain and France (and Ireland). It's been a rather rubbish year (particularly for my 5 year old son) and a summer holiday is tempting, but a fair chunk of me feels having got the numbers down to what they are in Scotland, it would be a tad irresponsible (although perfectly legal) to holiday abroad at this point in time.
I was critical of NS for not easing the lockdown sooner, but fair enough she now has begun to. I'd hate to think that what's been achieved could be for nothing due to Scots filling planes up and bringing the virus back with them.
What's the P&B opinion on trips abroad in July?

Even my brother, who is usually a selfish b*****d when it comes to this sort of thing, has said he won't be taking a holiday abroad until next year.

I don't see what's selfish about taking a holiday abroad this year if it's allowed?

17 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

I don't see what's selfish about taking a holiday abroad this year if it's allowed?

I don’t either, but I simply don’t want to go abroad this year. I don’t want the current airport experience, the airline experience, nor do I want to ‘enjoy’ an overseas holiday experience that in all likelihood, will be nothing like normal. Keeping my money in my pocket, will be staying in Scotland this year for ‘days here and there’. Mind you, even then, unless there are toilet facilities and the ability to sit in somewhere with a simple pleasure like a coffee and a bit of cake - won’t even be doing that.

That'll depend on whether their busybody, NIMBY councillors still want to throw outsiders into a wickerman for having the temerity to visit.
Your perfectly describing the actions of Inverclyde councilors reaction to the cruise ship lay up proposals. Local Councillors in general are a contemptible bunch. Most in it for what they can get and NIMBYism is rife. I have wondered for years why Councils need to be made up of people attached to political parties. Why not have Councils fully formed of independents free from party allegiances thus forcing (in theory anyway) them to form inclusive administrations where umpteen Councilors are not in effect shut out of the democratic process rendering them pretty much useless to their electorate ?

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, virginton said:

Your perfectly describing the actions of Inverclyde councilors reaction to the cruise ship lay up proposals. Local Councillors in general are a contemptible bunch. Most in it for what they can get and NIMBYism is rife. I have wondered for years why Councils need to be made up of people attached to political parties. Why not have Councils fully formed of independents free from party allegiances thus forcing (in theory anyway) them to form inclusive administrations where umpteen Councilors are not in effect shut out of the democratic process rendering them pretty much useless to their electorate ?

The independents tend to be even more moronic and parochial than the third-rate party lackeys.

50 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I don’t either, but I simply don’t want to go abroad this year. I don’t want the current airport experience, the airline experience, nor do I want to ‘enjoy’ an overseas holiday experience that in all likelihood, will be nothing like normal. Keeping my money in my pocket, will be staying in Scotland this year for ‘days here and there’. Mind you, even then, unless there are toilet facilities and the ability to sit in somewhere with a simple pleasure like a coffee and a bit of cake - won’t even be doing that.

You're absolutely obsessed with coffee and cake.

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

You're absolutely obsessed with coffee and cake.

Not really, just using it as an example. If we still can’t go to places and have toilet facilities and sit in somewhere for a cuppa’, then I’m just staying at home until such times as something as simple as that is available again. I’m just using the coffee to illustrate a point. What do you see folk doing in Largs? Go to Nardini’s. What do folk out shopping do? Have a break in a Costa or Cafe Nero. I read a story about a young lassie with IBS. She hasn’t seen her pals for months, now they could go shopping, but she needs toilet facilities. That’s all I’m trying to get across, possibly not clearly. Fcuked if I’m going to one of my favourite places, St Andrews, until basic facilities and a degree of normality are restored. Otherwise, I’m just driving a long way for a walk, which I can do here.

Edited by pozbaird

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Not really, just using it as an example. If we still can’t go to places and have toilet facilities and sit in somewhere for a cuppa’, then I’m just staying at home until such times as something as simple as that is available again. I’m just using the coffee to illustrate a point. What do you see folk doing in Largs? Go to Nardini’s. What do folk out shopping do? Have a break in a Costa or Cafe Nero. 

You are aware that pubs, restaurants, cafes etc will be open inside and out in a little over two weeks?

I had a read back over bits of this thread as I'm seriously bored. I know the situation moved quickly and no one was really quite sure what was going on but some of the takes were wild. 

A prediction of pubs and restaurants being closed for TWO YEARS was my personal favourite.

Throw in the hissy fits, curtain twitchers, driving to the shop to sit in the car gate, it was an enjoyable read

Edited by Am Featha Taigh Nan Clach

5 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

You are aware that pubs, restaurants, cafes etc will be open inside and out in a little over two weeks?

I had a read back over bits of this thread as I'm seriously bored. I know the situation moved quickly and no one was really quite sure what was going on but some of the takes were wild. 

A prediction of pubs and restaurants being closed for TWO YEARS was my personal favourite.

Throw in the hissy fits, curtain twitchers, driving to the shop to sit in the car gate, it was an enjoyable read

Yeah, I was aware, so will see how it plays out here, locally, for a bit. Then go for ‘wee day trips here and there’. Test the waters for sitting in a pub or coffee shop in sunny Cumbernauld before venturing any further. Might stretch to a trip to the Kelpies or Falkirk Wheel, test the waters in that strange land beyond Castlecary Arches, where weans become bairns, and everyone knows some bloke called ‘Ken’. Still not entertaining the thought of going abroad this year... so that’s Broughty Ferry ruled out. 😀

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Are the northern isles councils not mostly independents?

Highland Council is. Not a fan for several reasons but think they're useful to have as the SNP refuse to put up any resistance to Holyrood on local issues.

Looks like some if not all the care homes opening to visitors next week in the Highlands, don't know if this is the same elsewhere.
Excellent, I'm that bored I might pay them a visit despite knowing no one in a highland care home...gagging for a day out.

Total confirmed cases will shortly go through 10 Million  or  0.12% of the world population.

Deaths officialy will also go through 500,000 in next few hours or  0.006% of the population.

Normally 150,000 people die each day in the world.  Covid19 is officially averaging about 4% of those

Just some worthless stats for the night.

Edited by superbigal

8 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

No doubt the UK government made mistakes, but the good old US of A is plotting a course unlike anybody else.20200627_185844.jpg

Donald is just making sure there is no second wave by wiping out everyone in the first one.