Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Well I'm looking forward to my fortnight in Kusadasi departing 17th July assuming the advice is changed.
The exceptional news is the Russians are banned from travelling abroad except for exceptional reasons. My communist source BigAlski confirms Aeroflot have no plans to start flying in July.
So holiday changes.
1. No buffet style dining
2. No sunbed reservations at 6am
3. No Russians

I think all of the above will hugely improve the experience.

13 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

To be fair I don't think that many people thought we would be at this stage by now given the initial response to the crisis. I genuinely believe that England has moved out of lockdown too quickly and they will take longer to reduce the infection and death rates to the levels in Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland.

If the locals get a bit antsy here we might get our death rate up. Although it won't have anything to do with COVID-19...

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

From looking at (the more reasonable side of) American politics twitter, they seem to be reporting that the eu is going to block Americans from travelling there. So it looks like it's going that way. Hopefully the tories will have the cojones to do something similar but a big part of me reckons they'll shit it. 

They will.

Kay Burley was interviewing Matt Hancock a couple of weeks ago talking about this. He said they'd look to ban travel to and from countries where the infection rate is high. She asked for an example and he said Brazil.

Burley pressed for more examples (everyone watching knew she was looking for USA) but he refused. Couldn't bring himself to potentially upset Trump.

21 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Zero deaths or infections in the Highland or Moray in the last week, getting optimistic about getting the Highland League up and running before too long.

13 hours ago, RH33 said:

October

Straight from the horse's mouth. More or less.

13 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It could well do. There’s so many places in England that are so populated that it would be a miracle to cut infection rates substantially. I’d definitely agree that was the biggest reason for delaying lockdown. Perhaps if they’d “closed borders”or tested/quarantined travellers as soon as they knew of the situation happening in Wuhan/Italy/Spain then we’d maybe not have had to have had a lockdown at all 

Did they have the capability to test travellers? And the capacity for quarantining? I suppose they could have stuck them in those hospitals we didn't need. Although we didn't know we didn't need them at that time.

11 hours ago, buchan30 said:

At least that resembles the letter it is supposed to replace. The 9 just looks daft because it is the wrong way around for it to be a C. Maybe i am just getting crabbit in my auld age.

That makes two of us then. Stupid "look at us, catching the mood f******", imho. Somebody will have been paid thousands of pounds to come up with that pretentious shite.

58 minutes ago, mizfit said:

We cancelled our September holiday to Turkey, me and my girlfriend both kinda concluded that we could be as careful as possible and if it boiled down to someone flying to or from with symptoms thinking it was fine then wed be kicking ourselves.

It’s your decision at the end of the day, but have you considered looking at holidays more local? We went up to Morayshire last year and we had great fun driving the coastal routes and doing day trips.

Kens the score

So not through NS' doing summer trips to France, Spain and Greece (and Ireland?) are going to be fair game and quarantine free.
I've got a weeks holiday in July, and there's flights from Scotland to Spain and France (and Ireland). It's been a rather rubbish year (particularly for my 5 year old son) and a summer holiday is tempting, but a fair chunk of me feels having got the numbers down to what they are in Scotland, it would be a tad irresponsible (although perfectly legal) to holiday abroad at this point in time.
I was critical of NS for not easing the lockdown sooner, but fair enough she now has begun to. I'd hate to think that what's been achieved could be for nothing due to Scots filling planes up and bringing the virus back with them.
What's the P&B opinion on trips abroad in July?
Even my brother, who is usually a selfish b*****d when it comes to this sort of thing, has said he won't be taking a holiday abroad until next year.

They will.
Kay Burley was interviewing Matt Hancock a couple of weeks ago talking about this. He said they'd look to ban travel to and from countries where the infection rate is high. She asked for an example and he said Brazil.
Burley pressed for more examples (everyone watching knew she was looking for USA) but he refused. Couldn't bring himself to potentially upset Trump.
Why didn't she just ask him about banning US citizens directly instead of pussy footing around the issue. As bad as the govt !

44 minutes ago, Steven W said:

The week we have in July was a holiday to Tunisia which only got cancelled this week.

Now that there's a good prospect of my son going back to school full time in August, the last thing I want is to potentially jeopardise that.

But on the other hand I also feel I owe him a decent break somewhere. The Highlands and Islands appeals but I wonder how welcome we'd be?

Alton Towers and that kind of thing an option too, but I'm pretty hesitant about heading down to that basket case country too.

As you say, ultimately our decision, but will take a bit of mulling over.

My sister's booked a cottage in Loch Carron for the second week in July, filling up fast, so don't think about it too long. Just don't take your Central belt diseases to Inverness and you'll be most welcome.

I went to bed early last night as I felt like death warmed up, and have just spent the last hour or so catching up on this thread. Excruciating stuff with folk point scoring over death rates/excess deaths and total deaths and posting graphs most of us don't understand.

We're never going to know how many died from this because the count is flawed, different countries appear to have different methods of collating information, so comparisons between countries are going to be flawed. Broad comparisons won't be too far off, but going into the minutae of the statistics will be pointless.

I said away back at the start that when the final death toll is announced, most folk will say "Aye, right", and a certain section of society will double the total and over a period of time that figure will be generally accepted.

And the government will have nobody to blame but themselves because of their general incompetence and bare faced lies.

49 minutes ago, Steven W said:

They will.

I watched that interview. I couldn't understand why Burley just couldn't have put USA directly to him?

Maybe she thought she might end up blacklisted like Piers Morgan.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

5 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I'm extremely surprised that people will be able to fly to and enjoy a quarantine free holiday in Europe in a week or two.

I distinctly remember being told by one or two experts on here that foreign travel was off the cards for years.  

Experts on P&B

Since when?

16 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

The constant "SNP supporters never criticise the SNP / as long as we're doing better than England eh, eh, eh?" bunch are a weird set.

We have a thread where dozens of SNP voters have criticised their response to coronavirus then when a few posters correct H_B's one part determined, two parts gormless attempt to cherry pick any set of mismatched data to show Scotland as faring worse than England, we get...

"SNP supporters never criticise the SNP", "Well as long as we're doing better than England, eh?"

Being so desperate to appear impartial and capable of scrutiny that you're prepared to ignore reality and context isn't the smartest of looks guys.

There's a guy on here who claims he is a sky fairy and that's what he says about me.

I posted several weeks ago about my rage at the SNP government and the then CMO Catherine Calderwood for their subservience to Charlie Windsor and his gang.

BUT I still support independence.

15 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

“Second national lockdown not needed”. The words of Prof Neil Ferguson whose advice led to the decision to go into lockdown. If the “spike” and “second wave “ appears then lord help those who’re already too scared to leave the house or go into a shop 

I'm clutching my rosary and I'm an atheist!

41 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I went to bed early last night as I felt like death warmed up, and have just spent the last hour or so catching up on this thread. Excruciating stuff with folk point scoring over death rates/excess deaths and total deaths and posting graphs most of us don't understand.

We're never going to know how many died from this because the count is flawed, different countries appear to have different methods of collating information, so comparisons between countries are going to be flawed. Broad comparisons won't be too far off, but going into the minutae of the statistics will be pointless.

I said away back at the start that when the final death toll is announced, most folk will say "Aye, right", and a certain section of society will double the total and over a period of time that figure will be generally accepted.

And the government will have nobody to blame but themselves because of their general incompetence and bare faced lies.

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words but in this case....

I watched that interview. I couldn't understand why Burley just couldn't have put USA directly to him?
Maybe she thought she might end up blacklisted like Piers Morgan.

That’s exactly it.
The BBC have barely questioned or pushed any ministers for 2 months.

But f**k all that, get your cases packed Benidorm is waiting on us !

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it eventually turns out that variations in Government action had little effect on outcomes, and the major factors were age demographics, how the elderly were looked after (care homes or by families), social behaviour norms including face masks, travel frequency and to and from where, climatic conditions, how people congregate etc. etc.

P.S. Hope you're feeling a bit better this morning.

Edited by welshbairn