Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Given he (correctly) hates the majority of his colleagues I don’t doubt he is

He hates the fact the indy mob are getting a forward thinking Scotland going. He hitched himself to a party of right wing clowns like Murphy, Baillie and Alexander and kidded on he didn't see that the old school left had all started backing indy, now his pig headedness has left him in limbo. f**k him he can wear his two tone suit and moonstop on the grave of Ian Murray.

Edited by dirty dingus

6 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

As from 1st July. Thailand will be "open".  We have not had a local case in 30 days, all new cases have been returnees that have been in quarantine on arrival.  Many people saying that it's still here, as we are not testing anyone. I don't know if this is true.  However, no reports of people being ill, extra funerals etc...

It's not over, but it's been a very weird experience all round.  My province, Singburi has never had a single case (pop 250,000). We still closed everything. Wife still went to work everyday, leaving me with 3 kids (1,7,17) & and work to do.

I lost my job and had a small mental breakdown, as I could see no future prospects if the situation stayed the same. Good news, I start a new job tomorrow (intro day).

Schools go back on Wednesday which will be great for my son, as he is missing his friends (not seen in 5 month).

It's been tough, fun & sad during this, but I'm sure we will all pull through.  Nobody said life was going to be easy.  Chin up everyone and stay strong!

Wine Cheers GIFs | Tenor

Wtf are we doing opening stuff back up when we have x3 more new cases per day than anywhere in europe?

Portugal has closed down again.
Really hope we haven't just done all of this for nothing? I get that theres a financial impact as well and this effects health but its a month too early.

26 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Wtf are we doing opening stuff back up when we have x3 more new cases per day than anywhere in europe?

Really hope we haven't just done all of this for nothing? I get that theres a financial impact as well and this effects health but its a month too early.

9 positive cases in Scotland yesterday.  7 day average of 18.

What number do we have to get to before starting to ease up? 

38 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I think England is too early but its tougher to argue we are, unless our border with England is a reason. 

I do think they should have an extra week between beer gardens on full pubs up here - it's not long enough to determine if there's an effect from beer gardens. 

Things have to reopen, it's as simple as that. Maybe we are being too quick but the simple fact is nobody really knows and it was always going to reach a point where the impact on the economy had to be weighed up against the impact of the virus. We've now reached that point.

Places are opening up but nobody is saying you have to go. People can make their own risk assessment on where they want to go but keeping people indoors and everything closed indefinitely until numbers reach 0 was never going to be an option. We simply had to start reopening at some point.

2 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

It's not a case of not easing up when the virus is suppressed which is surely what we all ideally would want.

More a case of wondering whether our government(s) have i) ensured that they have suppressed it before deciding we're 'off to the races' and, probably more crucially, ii) have they definitely got in place the correct measures to ensure any resurgence here is stamped out before it can get going?

Given that countries like Germany, which has generally been thought to have dealt well with the virus, clearly hadn't taken measures that ensured it was totally suppressed, I think DAFC can be excused for not being wholly confident that we have managed it here.

The low level of cases is 'what we know', but we don't know how many people with mild symptoms or who are asymptomatic are going to wander around infecting folk.

Now we can only go on what we know so I fully agree that we should look to relax when cases seem to be low. But the powers-that-be are also failing us if they allow that to happen before they are certain bloody sure they have the infrastructure in place to deal with further outbreaks and not only just 'the hospitals aren't full' but in a way that means people who get ill have a good chance of coming through it just fine.

I know that 9 cases seems very low, and it is, but back at the start of this we were told that 1 infected person can (within 10 chains of infection) start off a chain whereby 59,000 folk become infected.

I calculate that this means that fewer than 100 initial cases could have seen all of Scotland infected if allowed to spread untrammelled. We didn't thankfully but this shows that we really need to make sure we have the measures in place to stamp resurgences out and I think it's the least we should expect and that folk are entitled to ask for reassurance on that point.

10 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

And even if we look at the cases in England, there remains a clear downwards pattern. 

Cases might well rise again when people have more freedom to move around and do activities they've been banned from for months, but I think this is expected. If we need to have a localised lockdown to contain an outbreak, so be it.