Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The demographic chat has been taken over by VT and others here, but if the criteria for reopening schools as normal is Scotland having zero infections and then vigorously tracking, tracing and isolating any new cases, we should be able to (at the very least) allow home fans only to attend matches. I can't see any good justification for preventing that.

If 'home' fans are allowed to go to Ibrox or Celtic Park there is no reason the away fans busses can't drive right behind them!

14 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

The whole world was a completely different place 4 months ago. As we have seen in Germany, if a spike occurs, it is clamped down on really quickly without the same widespread disruption we had back in the spring.

Everyone is far more aware of the dangers and we are all taking far more precautions than we did at the start.

I am fairly confident that, should a spike occur anywhere now, it will be stubbed out relatively quickly.

Are you expecting the UK government to be any way competent in implementing such a policy?

I was in high school during the EIS strikes of the 80s. For what seemed an eternity we were only in on a Monday and a Friday.  Never did me any harm.
Spoiler

0D07107F-B866-4A0C-B070-8E4A9970F82F.jpeg.4a219102cc1ad4179dd24338c26e859f.jpeg

Not sure whether it was a secondary v primary thing or to do with regions, but I was in primary school in Strathclyde Region and only remember the odd strike day here and there.

All extra curricular stuff was kaput, right enough.

26 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Are you expecting the UK government to be any way competent in implementing such a policy?

If not stamped out quickly, we will utterly f**k up our economy even worse when we end up with another lockdown. Even an idiot like Johnson knows that. 

There is only one way to go - contain the outbreak locally. If that means closing schools etc for a week, so be it. Better that than have the whole country in lockdown again. 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I was in high school during the EIS strikes of the 80s. For what seemed an eternity we were only in on a Monday and a Friday.  Never did me any harm.

Hide contents

0D07107F-B866-4A0C-B070-8E4A9970F82F.jpeg.4a219102cc1ad4179dd24338c26e859f.jpeg

Best Mick Mccarthy GIFs | Gfycat

Whether there is going to be a 'second wave' or not or precisely what a 'second wave' would look like e.g. local infection/spike etc. is largely a moot point. 

The reason we went into our version of a Lockdown in March wasn't to 'beat the virus' as such but to ensure that the NHS could cope. The NHS shouldn't have needed protecting but the systematic destruction of the welfare state over the course of generations left it, and us as a result, in a vulnerable position. So, bang, Lockdown it was with all the attendant problems that come with the prolonged period of Lockdown we've been enduring. 

If we have learned anything from the last few months is that we were woefully unprepared to deal with this. It would be an act of gross negligence to make the same mistakes and not to prepare for the worst case scenario and adapt and change how we approach our daily lives as we take small steps towards some kind of normality.  

Reading the last few posts of this thread has made me feel a little better. I've seen a few posts online from other parents showcasing all of the work their kids are doing and I feel like a shite parent.

My kids have pretty much done f**k all in the last few weeks, I've stopped checking the work they've been assigned and log them in every morning, nothing more. The first few weeks was nothing more than then being being "assigned" a website to check out, or a YouTube video to watch. They aren't interested, and I can't make them suddenly show an interest. Glad it isn't just me that's struggled with it! They have, however, learned how to change a hard drive and a laptop screen so there are some useful life skills out there. [emoji16]

5 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Going really well in America I see

Yeah its fucking ridiculous. Trump has basically said that people who wear masks are doing it to have a dig at him, so all the magats are running about mask less.

Read something about Florida seriously fiddling their figures now - no longer going to release how many patients are in icu and stuff. In texas they're closing down some testing stations. 

Basically a bunch of republican governors decided they'd avoided even a proper first wave, so opened right up properly and have even been dictating that cities aren't allowed to make stuff like masks, distancing compulsory. Now they're totally fucked, verging on exponential growth in some parts. Whoops. 

6 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

Reading the last few posts of this thread has made me feel a little better. I've seen a few posts online from other parents showcasing all of the work their kids are doing and I feel like a shite parent.

My kids have pretty much done f**k all in the last few weeks, I've stopped checking the work they've been assigned and log them in every morning, nothing more. The first few weeks was nothing more than then being being "assigned" a website to check out, or a YouTube video to watch. They aren't interested, and I can't make them suddenly show an interest. Glad it isn't just me that's struggled with it! They have, however, learned how to change a hard drive and a laptop screen so there are some useful life skills out there. emoji16.png

Reported to Esther Rantzen.

My kids have pretty much done f**k all in the last few weeks, I've stopped checking the work they've been assigned and log them in every morning, nothing more. The first few weeks was nothing more than then being being "assigned" a website to check out, or a YouTube video to watch. They aren't interested, and I can't make them suddenly show an interest. Glad it isn't just me that's struggled with it! They have, however, learned how to change a hard drive and a laptop screen so there are some useful life skills out there. [emoji16]

On your first paragraph. Can’t remember who it was but I watched something earlier in lockdown and the guest on the show was lambasting the “look at me during lockdown” culture of some people online, talking about the very real damage it was doing to many who feel self-conscious about the ‘effort’ they’ve been putting in during this crisis.

“Look at all the exercise I’ve done!”

“Look at all the skills I’ve learned!”

“Look at all the home learning I’m doing!”

“Look at all the activities I’ve designed for my kids!”

It’s damaging for those who feel anxious about themselves to go online and see all these show offs who claim to have been busy every minute of every day during lockdown. I’ve felt guilty plenty during this, everything from the lack of exercise, to the lack of Blue Peter-esque projects that I’ve built from scratch for our 2 year old. Reality is, much of it has been projected on to me by the things I’ve seen online, and it’s not fair on myself to do that.

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

This all happened before lockdown too. The solution is to nuke your facebook and instagram accounts. At least here if you don't want to see this kind of thing you can just not read the threads about it, it's inescapable on Web 2.0 social media. Forums were and remain the superior medium.

This post has been brought to you by Divcom.

12 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

On your first paragraph. Can’t remember who it was but I watched something earlier in lockdown and the guest on the show was lambasting the “look at me during lockdown” culture of some people online, talking about the very real damage it was doing to many who feel self-conscious about the ‘effort’ they’ve been putting in during this crisis.

“Look at all the exercise I’ve done!”

“Look at all the skills I’ve learned!”

“Look at all the home learning I’m doing!”

“Look at all the activities I’ve designed for my kids!”

It’s damaging for those who feel anxious about themselves to go online and see all these show offs who claim to have been busy every minute of every day during lockdown. I’ve felt guilty plenty during this, everything from the lack of exercise, to the lack of Blue Peter-esque projects that I’ve built from scratch for our 2 year old. Reality is, much of it has been projected on to me by the things I’ve seen online, and it’s not fair on myself to do that.

Is this not the same mentality that led to cancelation of school sports days because the slow kids would feel crap about not winning?

4 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Is this not the same mentality that led to cancelation of school sports days because the slow kids would feel crap about not winning?

Did this really happen though, or is it a bit Cadurys have cancelled Easter / we can't say merry Christmas anymore because Muslims. 

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

This all happened before lockdown too. The solution is to nuke your facebook and instagram accounts. At least here if you don't want to see this kind of thing you can just not read the threads about it, it's inescapable on Web 2.0 social media. Forums were and remain the superior medium.

I deleted my facebook last week, I don't have instagram and now I only use twitter for keeping up to date with MMA news but even that is starting to grate on me as I absolutely despise the "tough guy" twitter act that so many MMA fans have. I don't think I realised how much time I wasted scrolling through it and getting annoyed or angry at what I was reading. For a few days I'd pick up my phone and unlock it, see the facebook app wasn't there and question why I was even looking at my phone. It becomes an automatic thing you do when your brain loses concentration. So glad to be rid of it.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

+9 cases (18)

+4 deaths (3) [2.57]

Really hopeful we'll be where we want to be in two weeks time. It was around now I was wondering if we'd see a rise in cases after some restrictions were relaxed but everything is continuing as we need it to.

England are going to be a massive problem for us though. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all doing really good jobs of eliminating the virus but England have basically given up and are pretending the pandemic is over. Time to build a wall!

Been in education for a decade, never seen a single school sports day or any event cancelled for that reason.

5 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Did this really happen though, or is it a bit Cadurys have cancelled Easter / we can't say merry Christmas anymore because Muslims. 

Yes. There's medals for all and no winners for the younger kids at our school sports. I think it might be as much to stop parents arguing with decisions. 

Edited by coprolite
Didn't notice it was whole sports days cancelled. Never even heard that said

Yeah, forums are much, much more brutal but in a more ‘real’ way and in a way you can engage with properly.