Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Nothing has really changed from yesterday then in terms of schools after the summer. 

Hope to open normally, blended farce if not possible. 

Yip pretty much so 

9 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Nothing has really changed from yesterday then in terms of schools after the summer. 

It’s changed in that the government are now instructing local authorities to plan for a full-time return with a blended solution as contingency.

Yesterday, were they not planning to open in August with the blended learning model, full stop?

Edited by Hughsie

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

So you don't think anything has changed over the last week? We have gone from having no chance of opening normally and Swinney hinting blended* learning could be in place for a year, to hopefully opening as normal? That's a huge change in 7 days imo, and even yesterday there was not a glimmer that anything other than part time attendance for pupils was on the cards.

*Autocorrect initially changed that to bellend, I was tempted just to leave it.

It does change things for schools. The assumption was blended to begin with and then phased back to normality, now it is the reverse.

As I mentioned earlier, it just means a shift in focus for staff and especially senior staff with regards to timetabling, the physical layout of the buildings and the general plans for opening in August and what needs to be put back in place. Ideally this would have been announced maybe last week, just to allow pre-summer planning for the two different scenarios.

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

So much better than having "multiple similar models" in my experience.

Oh, I don't know. When Aldi have their cheap Airfix kits at Christmas, I always get more than one of each to build in different colour schemes (or to have a full Yellowjacks formation, in the case of the Gnat).

I know, I should get out more.

1 minute ago, Hughsie said:

It’s changed in that the government are now instructing local authorities to plan for a full-time return with a blended solution as contingency.

Yesterday, were they not planning to open in August with the blended learning model, full stop?

I think the problem here is that folk assume things then reach their own conclusion of what the advice is going to be before actually hearing what the advice is. 

People guessed at what was planned yesterday, they've been shown up as wrong so are now claiming it's a massive u-turn from the SG to justify the fact they were raging for pretty much no reason yesterday.

9 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

My school sent out hugely detailed letters/emails to parents this morning regarding the blended learning, so very much a sudden change for local authorities.

5 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Oh, I don't know. When Aldi have their cheap Airfix kits at Christmas, I always get more than one of each to build in different colour schemes (or to have a full Yellowjacks formation, in the case of the Gnat).

I know, I should get out more.

No, it's good to have a hobby. Apart from anything else, it stops you coming on here and lecturing us. Oh, wait a minute...

We're the same, got a presentation this morning to share with the kids about maybe having to go back in a bubble and only a few days a week - might not be needed now which is good but i can't help feeling sorry for the head at the school who had been getting grief for no info about next term, sends out the pack and then see's this in the afternoon...

Wife is still amazed they're doing it after being so set on blended starts...i thought a week or two blended before going back full time might have been on the cards. She's still convinced there will be a huge second surge which i'm struggling to understand given the current numbers and restrictions still in place (masks on transport, 2m etc.) and the fact that it's still 7 weeks till schools would go back anyway...
Our Head Teacher put a letter out informing parents/guardians of our blended arrangements but also with a qualifying paragraph saying that it might not happen.

Not sure how going into a gym makes you healthier and fitter than stuff you have easily been able to do outside a gym since day 1 of this. 

Your options for exercising outside are pretty much restricted to running, walking or cycling (if you have access to a bike). I've been running in order to keep active but can't say I enjoy it. I do enjoy the gym because the equipment there is tailored to the sport I train for. I also have friends from the gym who I haven't seen for months.

I don't think it's unreasonable for those of us who enjoy the gym as a hobby to question why they can't reopen but pubs and restaurants can. Suggesting that you can exercise outside is the same as suggesting to someone desperate for the pubs to reopen that they just have a drink at home - there's a social aspect to both which people miss and it's not as straightforward as saying "you've had other options since day 1 of this".

Guest Bob Mahelp
14 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

England 161

Scotland 4

Wales 5

NI 1

England..."scrap the 2m rule and open the pubs".

161 is still (comparatively) a very high number of deaths, and the number of new cases is only decreasing slowly. 

Johnson is taking a bit of a risk with effectively abandoning restrictions. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp