Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

It's an opportunity to have a contingency plan in place should there be a second wave in the autumn, or, more likely, in case anything like this ever happens again.

They were massively caught out with the "we're either in school or we're not approach", so schools and councils having multiple different models planned and available is surely a good thing, even if it is just business as usual in August, or by the October week at the latest.

I'd hope he'd say something along the lines of "We hope to be as close to the usual model as possible in August, but just in case... ", but he won't.

So much better than having "multiple similar models" in my experience.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The point is that you don't have a clue about this guy's credentials, what this study is about or what the results actually say, but you've decided that it should "have an enormous bearing on how we proceed with this".

Whit?

He's from Belfast Uni. He wasn't some boy they'd dragged off the street. 

Jeezo...

Just now, Steven W said:

Whit?

He's from Belfast Uni. He wasn't some boy they'd dragged off the street. 

Jeezo...

Working for a university doesn't automatically make you an expert on everything. Source: I work at a university.

8 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

So much better than having "multiple similar models" in my experience.

You would not survive in my office then.

Endless meetings where 5 people put forward the same idea worded slightly differently, yet none of them realise.

25 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

The same scientists who u-turned on everything they advised?
I'd ignore them as well tbh.

Mass gatherings, herd immunity, no face masks and testing is pointless apparently.

Oh no, actually they're all important. Oops 100,000 deaths. My bad.

Yeah, a couple of scientists have demolished their reputation to help toe a political party line so lets just ignore every scientist in the world.

39 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Working for a university doesn't automatically make you an expert on everything. Source: I work at a university.

Posting on a football forum doesn't automatically make you an expert on everything. Source: I post on a football forum.

1 hour ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Does anyone actually believe the Government are still listening to the scientists and the medical experts at this point, like they claim they are doing?

I believe they are. But it will be along the lines of what level of risk they deem acceptable rather than what carries the least / no risk.

I believe it was the European WHO guy from (I think) Denmark who said that every decision made in coming out of lockdown is politically driven. There is no better way to highlight this than looking at the contrasting approaches of WM & SG. 

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I believe they are. But it will be along the lines of what level of risk they deem acceptable rather than what carries the least / no risk.

I believe it was the European WHO guy from (I think) Denmark who said that every decision made in coming out of lockdown is politically driven. There is no better way to highlight this than looking at the contrasting approaches of WM & SG. 

It is being widely quoted that Boris's announcement at lunchtime brings the four nations back onto the same path.

It was only a day or so ago that Nicola was saying relaxing the 2m rule was 'reckless'. Today she says she's is 'looking at all options'.

I said from the start of this that she had little material room for manoeuvre and when big calls are being made, so its been proven.

As sure as night falls day, the media's newly resident scientist of doom pops with another 'well, accccccctually' hot take:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/22/pandemic-zero-coronavirus-britain

Now, you may well be convinced by her ideal world, public health argument but this:

The public needs to be convinced that the short-term pain is worth it, including continued physical distancing from others, use of face masks when distancing is not possible, and putting aside short-term self-interest for a few more months.

demonstrates that she is actually living in cloud cuckoo land. No government of any stripe is going to convince the public to endure just 'a few more months' of this pish. No idea where she thinks the money is going to come from to keep this going either, which is why listening to The Science alone is really not the best policy. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Jennie Harries yesterday basically telling people to stop being scared and return to work said it all. She’s done and said whatever has been expected of her.

Jenny Harries is a government mouthpiece

When the UK stopped tesing folk she infered the WHO advice to ‘test, test, test’ wasn’t applicable to the U.K. and was intended for developing countries.

Jenny Harries said this week that “there comes a point in a pandemic where that is not an appropriate intervention” and that Britain had always planned to focus on testing those who were admitted to hospital.

Dr Jenny Harries told the Commons Health Select Committee that “if we had unlimited capacity we would have done differently”.

So instead of standing up as a doctor and giving facts she spun a lie for the governments lack of preparedness .

Jenny Harries is a government mouthpiece
When the UK stopped tesing folk she infered the WHO advice to ‘test, test, test’ wasn’t applicable to the U.K. and was intended for developing countries.
Jenny Harries said this week that “there comes a point in a pandemic where that is not an appropriate intervention” and that Britain had always planned to focus on testing those who were admitted to hospital.
Dr Jenny Harries told the Commons Health Select Committee that “if we had unlimited capacity we would have done differently”.
So instead of standing up as a doctor and giving facts she spun a lie for the governments lack of preparedness .
Really dont get why she would lie, it's not like she can get promoted or advance as shes already at the top.
The whole world of politics is filled with liars now who flip flop between what they say within hours without even flinching.
The entire process has been amateurish from the start. Just admit we weren't setup to cope rather than lying about scientific advice. For their political future they let people mingle in large crowds. Some have died as a result.

If, as anticipated, Johnson is opening cinemas back up in a couple of weeks, how long will it be before sporting authorities will ask why they have to play behind closed doors?

Personally, I do think we should be opening up a bit quicker now, but there is a danger of a "what about us" scenario coming into play soon, that might be dangerous for the Government to control once it starts.

12 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Really dont get why she would lie, it's not like she can get promoted or advance as shes already at the top.
The whole world of politics is filled with liars now who flip flop between what they say within hours without even flinching.
The entire process has been amateurish from the start. Just admit we weren't setup to cope rather than lying about scientific advice. For their political future they let people mingle in large crowds. Some have died as a result.

Maybe she fancies sitting beside titty scaffolder michelle mone on the benches in the Lords

Maybe she fancies sitting beside titty scaffolder michelle mone on the benches in the Lords

That’s exactly it. She’s looking for a place in the House of Lords.

Quite an upbeat tone from NS today.
I have no doubt that, privately, the lack of any negative impact from the mass gatherings seen over the last few weeks will have raised a few eyebrows.

I imagine that today’s figures have caught them off guard, I was expecting a higher number of deaths and infections personally.