Coronavirus (COVID-19)

https://mobile.twitter.com/borna_coric/status/1274968741181362176

This is one of the players who tested positive for covid19 the other is Dimitrov.

I watched it and the stands were full of unmasked folk, that's 4 players or coaches tested positive. wonder how many in the stand caught it.

Edited by dirty dingus

3 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I get what you mean but being a teacher is a middle class profession. That no longer means they'll be wealthier than some working class professions. The idea someone would punch someone's lights out for accurately describing the status of the job seems a bit OTT.

You'll need to explain that thinking a bit more please pal. So what's the definition? Dirt under fingernails? Taking off your jacket?

Edited by jimbaxters

7 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I get what you mean but being a teacher is a middle class profession. That no longer means they'll be wealthier than some working class professions. The idea someone would punch someone's lights out for accurately describing the status of the job seems a bit OTT.

4 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

You'll need to explain that thinking a bit more please pal. So what's the definition? Dirt under fingernails? Taking off your jacket?

I'm with jimbaxters on this one, Mixu. The only thing I could see you basing your assessment of the profession's status is the requirement for a degree. In which case you wouldn't want to meet my soon-to-graduate daughter. She will  fúck you up if you even think of suggesting she would ever fall into that fabricated position. She's in Applied Theatre, btw. A "luvvie", no doubt..

9 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Just had the email from Falkirk Cooncil, daughter starts high school in August.

Going  in two days one week one day the next week and so on.  Still to hear wht my son who is going into primary seven will be doing.

Completely unacceptable.    Ah but of course blended learning.  They can quite frankly f**k off.   Ruining kids education, fucking up families trying to work, killing the economy etc etc etc.

Of  course the huge outcry will see this reversed as per everything else.   Good to see they're adding to peoples stress levels though, that's the one fucking thing they're consistently managing to do.

Absolute 3rd rate charlatans.

Just heard that my own two will be in school Wednesday afternoon, Thursday and Friday.

I'll be teaching all week at my own school - half the school in each day on an alternate day basis. 

My wife will be likely be back at work (bookies - the government have decided they're non-essential retail after briefly deciding that they were to try to cut back on furloughs) and my ex-wife (my kids' mother) works in a school office - so she'll be in all week.

This is going to be fun to organise.

Teaching is definitely a middle class job, no idea why this is even being debated here. Class is not a fixed thing, you can still be a working class person who gets a middle class job and eventually becomes middle class, which is what will happen to most teachers.

30 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Sorry, mate, all my siblings are or have been (until retirement) teachers, and calling them middle class to their face would be a seriously high-risk  thing to do.

They (and the vast majority of this country) have to work to live - they are, by definition, working class. The whole concept of "middle class" is a handy construct to keep the various serfs at each others' throats rather than at the throats of those who live  a very comfortable life while never lifting a finger. It's worked for centuries, and continues to do so to this day.

18 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I just think it's a reductive view in service of an idea which is laudable but counterproductive. It might not be as simple as Marx's claim that the middle classes stand as the halfway house between the proletariat and the capitalist class but different groups in society have different class interests and while the ultimate goal (for some) might be the abolition of capitalism and the class system it needs a bit more work than simply declaring everyone who works for a living is working class.

Edited by NotThePars

9 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

There is no hard and fast definition. But a teacher goes to university and ends up in a skilled white collar job while a working class person doesn't necessarily go to university and ends up in a profession that uses their hands which can be skilled or unskilled.

Not disagreeing but the point is why does there have to be a definition? IMO the lines are very blurred now and working/middle class are irrelevant terms. Those of us who work are all workers.

Edited by jimbaxters

Something I hadn't even considered until now is the 7 day average % of positive tests.

We've got a full week of new style results in, and that average is now 0.7%

That seems fairly significant as it is lower now than it was 3 weeks ago.

I do wonder slightly, though, what is driving 22,500 new people (ie people never tested before) over the last 7 days to get tested, for only around 150 to be positive? I can't imagine over 22,250 people over the last 7 days have developed covid-19 symptoms that subsequently turned out not to be Covid-19. Are people just booking tests for themselves because they can, rather than because they think they might need one?

Edited by Todd_is_God

Obviously the greater good of Soju and Kimchi demanded more input for their Horrific Club Photos thread. 
Have you seen Korean women? Such a thread would have slim pickings due to diet, genes, culture and ubiquitous cosmetic surgery.

Great place IMHO TBQHWY.

13 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I suppose my question would be what is it about being called middle class that provokes such violent feelings?

It's an anger that the whole idea of the middle class is a construct which serves only to divide the workers, and prevents them focussing on the people who are the real millstone around the neck of progress. As I've said before to people who think they're middle class and vote accordingly, a Head Teacher on 100k+ has more in common with the single mother of his most "challenging" pupil than he will ever have with the people he votes for.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Something I hadn't even considered until now is the 7 day average % of positive tests.

We've got a full week of new style results in, and that average is now 0.7%

That seems fairly significant.

I do wonder slightly, though, what is driving 22,500 new people (ie people never tested before) over the last 7 days to get tested, for only around 150 to be positive? I can't imagine over 22,250 people over the last 7 days have developed covid-19 symptoms that subsequently turned out not to be Covid-19.

What's that got to do with teachers?

14 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I just think it's a reductive view in service of an idea which is laudable but counterproductive. It might not be as simple as Marx's claim that the middle classes stand as the halfway house between the proletariat and the capitalist class but different groups in society have different class interests and while the ultimate goal (for some) might be the abolition of capitalism and the class system it needs a bit more work than simply declaring everyone who works for a living is working class.

Ah, social mobility. I remember being told that was still a thing. The only way anyone from outside the financially-independent class can infiltrate it even temporarily is by fucking one of them.

Until the workers stop fighting each other, the wealth hoarders will continue to fúck us all - and they won't even use lube.

4 minutes ago, resk said:

Have you seen Korean women? Such a thread would have slim pickings due to diet, genes, culture and ubiquitous cosmetic surgery.

Great place IMHO TBQHWY.

I'll hunt down the ones that are suitable for the thread, dont you worry. 

I can't find the quote now which is annoying, but I remember about 6 - 8 weeks ago a Scottish advisor noting the ever lengthening "time for deaths to double" and saying that although it was about 14 days at that point, we should be aiming to hold off a bit and begin slowly opening back up once this number rose above 30.

We hit 30 on the 24th of May, and this number is now 57.7

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I can't find the quote now which is annoying, but I remember about 6 - 8 weeks ago a Scottish advisor noting the ever lengthening "time for deaths to double" and saying that although it was about 14 days at that point, we should be aiming to hold off a bit and begin slowly opening back up once this number rose above 30.

We hit 30 on the 24th of May, and this number is now 57.7

Yeah, well I guess that is consistent with starting phase 1 around the 29th of May. Albeit the advisor's idea of slow and yours may differ.

Johnson expected to announce the reopening of the hospitality industry from the 4th July and also a reduction in social distancing to 1m.

That does tie in with the a review of phase 2 for us on the 2nd July and the review of moving to phase 3 on the 9th July.

6 minutes ago, renton said:

Yeah, well I guess that is consistent with starting phase 1 around the 29th of May. Albeit the advisor's idea of slow and yours may differ.

I don't quite think he was talking about the ability to sit in a garden tbh

Today's UK figure is the first time under 1,000 new cases have been announced since the 23rd of March.

They were adjusted to under 1,000 last Monday due to duplicate cases in Scotland, but were above 1,000 at the time of announcement. Can we now finally put to bed the knickerwetters' fears from VE day about a couple of congas starting a second wave?

Weekend figure, or not, 15 new deaths is also a very positive trend.