Coronavirus (COVID-19)

26 minutes ago, Steven W said:

England to review the 2M. rule witihin days.

Will we hear similar at today's briefing?

No we will hear some rhetoric about the science says and wait a week until its revealed thousands more people will lose their jobs and then go with 1m like everywhere else.

No doubt at some point like Germany etc there will be another outbreak of cases.  You then manage it sensibly like they're doing as there is no vaccine, get on with life and re establishing your economy and normality.

Worth remembering that it's around a 0.07 mortality rate in Scotland, the sick man of Europe and nearly half those deaths attributed to the decision to fire oldies into care homes where staff had minimal training, no PPE and no testing.  The equivalent of jumping into a shark infested sea.

In essence the chances of those with no co morbities and are fairly healthy dying are pretty bloody minimal.  You're almost a likely to win the lottery.

It looks like the proposed deadliness of this virus was vastly overstated by the same experts who did similar with bird flu etc etc.

Taking those odds into account is it really worth destroying your nation's economy, wrecking the NHS, fucking up kids education, destroying peoples mental health.

I would suggest not.  Maybe time for that wee grown up conversation we were promised all these weeks ago.

Take cognisance of other nations management, look at alternative science, don't just follow the reports that suit your rhetoric.

Be a real leader.

Edited by Tynierose

Greece controlled it simply by locking down two weeks earlier. 4000 deaths could have been 400 had we done so.
Its inexcusable and the snp have to answer why and not hide behind whatabootery and pseudo science that suited the economy not humans.
Greece was in financial ruin was it not?
Let's compare other countries when it's all over. Aye ok, great argument.
They killed 3500 people for the economy and made the economy worse than a quicker lockdown would have done.
A complete and utter failure of leadership.
How could they shut down 2 weeks before England without the financial protection schemes controlled by WM. Your talking shite.

The snp hardcore supporters cost Scotland with their militant and off-putting behaviour calling naysayers idiots.
As for Scottish talent just look at the labour front bench since 1990.
The more the snp fan boys shout down anyone who argues against the snp the more likely it is that we will lose another referendum.
We need independence, covid has shown that and if it's so obvious you dont need to shout about it because it will happen.
You had a bit of a mare last night.

You opened up by saying the sturgeon and the snp deserve 'as much' criticism as Johnson and the tories which is just nonsense.

Only one of them had the power to handle this properly.

You then slide the attack to the 'over the top' element of the snp supporters - but that's a completely separate point.

On a side note it would be interesting to know what sturgeon would've done if she had the powers of independence. My hunch is that we'd have followed the arden/nz model - but with much less success (due to the fact that we've got such close ties with England - who had huge problems).

But there was no way she could come out and criticise the wm way, as that would be just too risky. It could've been political suicide, and would've jeapordised the independence campaign.

As things turned out though, it could've also been also been a masterstroke. But she's too canny to take those big political gambles.

24 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
11 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:
Greece controlled it simply by locking down two weeks earlier. 4000 deaths could have been 400 had we done so.
Its inexcusable and the snp have to answer why and not hide behind whatabootery and pseudo science that suited the economy not humans.
Greece was in financial ruin was it not?
Let's compare other countries when it's all over. Aye ok, great argument.
They killed 3500 people for the economy and made the economy worse than a quicker lockdown would have done.
A complete and utter failure of leadership.

How could they shut down 2 weeks before England without the financial protection schemes controlled by WM. Your talking shite.

I don't think it necessarily had to be a full lockdown of daily life, from the the start. I've wondered what powers legally sturgeon had to close airports. Or even shut off access to England if necessary. 

In the isle of man. Everything has gone back to normal, without anyone being allowed in. And in the more remote, less populated US states. It never really got going. Again a proper shutdown, never actually happened there. But there were travel restrictions.

I get economically, you can't finance doing much different from England. But there was always another way.

34 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

No we will hear some rhetoric about the science says and wait a week until its revealed thousands more people will lose their jobs and then go with 1m like everywhere else.

No doubt at some point like Germany etc there will be another outbreak of cases.  You then manage it sensibly like they're doing as there is no vaccine, get on with life and re establishing your economy and normality.

Worth remembering that it's around a 0.07 mortality rate in Scotland, the sick man of Europe and nearly half those deaths attributed to the decision to fire oldies into care homes where staff had minimal training, no PPE and no testing.  The equivalent of jumping into a shark infested sea.

In essence the chances of those with no co morbities and are fairly healthy dying are pretty bloody minimal.  You're almost a likely to win the lottery.

It looks like the proposed deadliness of this virus was vastly overstated by the same experts who did similar with bird flu etc etc.

Taking those odds into account is it really worth destroying your nation's economy, wrecking the NHS, fucking up kids education, destroying peoples mental health.

I would suggest not.  Maybe time for that wee grown up conversation we were promised all these weeks ago.

Take cognisance of other nations management, look at alternative science, don't just follow the reports that suit your rhetoric.

Be a real leader.

I agree with you on all fronts.

I just wonder after the week they've had, stemming from Swinney's ridiculous comments last Sunday, maybe the penny might drop soon.

Changing the 2M. rule at the same time as England would at long last show some desire to return to normal. I'm not holding my breath though.

8 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Played golf with a guy the other week who is a loss adjuster for an insurance company dealing solely with commercial policies. He has been dealing with claims from businesses for loss of income due to being forced to close, but said the number of policies that actually have a specific clause that will see them get any sort of pay out is miniscule.

From the bits and pieces I've read, general impression is that insurance companies were moving heaven and earth to avoid paying out on anything

connected to coronavirus.

Edited by beefybake

Can someone point me to the thread written by P&Bs experts on what should have happened during this unprecedented pandemic and what should we doing going forward even though we still have little information on the long term effects of a 6 month old virus?

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Can someone point me to the thread written by P&Bs experts on what should have happened during this unprecedented pandemic and what should we doing going forward even though we still have little information on the long term effects of a 6 month old virus?

IIRC there was one where people took the piss out of some wee bug in China, and said it wouldn't come to anything, but I can't recall seeing any others.

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

It's in the same thread as the one about fucking our economy over leading to unemployment levels the likes of haven't been seen in decades. 

England to review the 2M. rule witihin days.
Will we hear similar at today's briefing?

I’m at bit of a loss seeing the procession of pubs/restaurants/bars whining they’ll go bust if the government don’t relax the 2m rule, versus the procession of pubs/restaurants/bars whining they’re not allowed to open in Scotland under the very same 2m rule.

I’d expect the rule to be relaxed and applied in the UK overall at the same time, just the same as the pubs etc will open at the same time across the country. Sturgeon has made a rare misstep in communications by havering about breathing etc - ‘report due July 2nd, we want to be in line with the UK’ would surely have been a mostly acceptable response and her political opponents couldn’t have argued given the stick they gave her for not relaxing lockdown at the same time as England.

17 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Which is the reason they can do whatever the f**k they want, as well or as badly as they want, with absolutely no risk.

That you don't seem to understand how this could possibly be a bit of a problem is incredible.

I support Scottish Independence as in the current landscape I believe it is what is best for Scotland. If that was to change then so would my views on it.

Supporting anything political "whatever the cost" is daft.

So you're a fair weather friend.

You have only two choices. Independence or in a one-sided union. So make your mind up.

16 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Given that the only other landscape on offer is continuing with Westminster I'd be interested to hear what Westminster might do or offer to change your mind from Scotland having all the levers of an independent country.

Has he replied yet?

15 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I don't think there's realistically any possibility of an alternative hegemonic force emerging to drag Scotland to independence but the SNP are in dire need of a shake up and a lot of people - from the leadership to the voting base - need to start asking serious questions of themselves.

I don't disagree but surely that's the curse of any political party?

15 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im inclined to agree. Get rid of the ineffective nonentities like, Chris Mceleny, Angus Mcneil, Humza and Cherry and start delivering effective governance.

How the fcuk can ye 'deliver effective government' with one hand tied (fiscally) behind your back?

11 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

The Scottish Government could not lockdown before Westminster did because they have no power to introduce a furlough scheme or stop people coming into the country.

I'm not not particularly impressed with how the SNP have handled the things that are within their power to handle. But to have a go at them for not doing things they have no power to do is just stupid.

Precisely!

9 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I believe that Sturgeon and the Scottish government were between a rock and a hard place regards this - national emergency planning is a UK responsibility - yes there is a role for the Scottish government but the reality is that that agenda is driven by the UK government. Condemned if she did and condemned if she didn't - as shown by Britnat zoomers like Jackson Carlaw criticising over the extension of the lockdown.

It's a complex issue and there isn't a magic bullet solution.

Another precisely!

11 hours ago, bennett said:

The SNP are limited in what they can do by not being an independent country yet, we can't shut our borders while we're part of the uk and Boris's dithering before implementing lockdown played a huge part in this.  No doubt he'll find a way for his two main advisors to carry the can for his inadequate leadership. 

Dominic Cummings will be carrying no can. He'll be manufacturing them for someone else to carry.

I don't think it necessarily had to be a full lockdown of daily life, from the the start. I've wondered what powers legally sturgeon had to close airports. Or even shut off access to England if necessary.  In the isle of man. Everything has gone back to normal, without anyone being allowed in. And in the more remote, less populated US states. It never really got going. Again a proper shutdown, never actually happened there. But there were travel restrictions.

I get economically, you can't finance doing much different from England. But there was always another way.

Border control is reserved.  

Quarantine is also a reserved matter.

39 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

They will be consulting the nutty proffs twitter to tell us when in june its all over 

Have some sympathy with folk who've watched Sturgeon's general cautious it over Covid and decided there's no chance of the SNP forcing a referendum in the next few year
No need for sympathy. I'll just stop voting for them.