Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I misread that as my girlfriends are working four on four off.......

I’d have jumped in the Tay if I had to quarantine with more than one girlfriend the last 3 months.

7 hours ago, bennett said:

Looks like something from an Irwin Allen sci fi.

And they won't want it to rise any further. 

Close but Irwin Allen probably had 500 times the budget as that was a triffid from the early 1980s BBC serialisation of "Day of the Triffids".

Cardboard, string and chicken wire, these were the special effects of the pre CGI generation.

3 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Check the nick of the priest of in this mad storyfrom Russia. He declares covid a lot of shite, gets chucked out the church, invades a convent with a load of Cossacks.

I'm not religious but I think that's down to the beige types who end up as ministers here. I'd totally listen to a wild eyed bearded man wearing black robes covered in runes.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/18/russian-priest-who-called-coronavirus-a-pseudo-pandemic-seizes-convent

Back when I was trying to get a visa to stay in the US, it became obvious that the easiest way was to pose as an official of a religious order. IIRC, all you had to do was prove that you'd been actively working to promote "a religion" for at least two years; the criteria was extremely lax in comparison to every other category, and I don't think they restricted it to known, established religions due to the First Amendment. You could basically start your own. No idea if the rules are still the same, but worth thinking about if you fancy emigrating and have a bit of time to wait.

I won't be doing it myself but, if I ever change my mind, it's good to know that all I'll need is the runic robe to have gathered my first disciple  :P

13 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Back when I was trying to get a visa to stay in the US, it became obvious that the easiest way was to pose as an official of a religious order. IIRC, all you had to do was prove that you'd been actively working to promote "a religion" for at least two years; the criteria was extremely lax in comparison to every other category, and I don't think they restricted it to known, established religions due to the First Amendment. You could basically start your own. No idea if the rules are still the same, but worth thinking about if you fancy emigrating and have a bit of time to wait.

I won't be doing it myself but, if I ever change my mind, it's good to know that all I'll need is the runic robe to have gathered my first disciple  :P

I suspect calling yourself Pastor Dave might work better than calling yourself Ayatollah Dave...

Spoiler

Or should that be Alloatollah Dave?

32 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Close but Irwin Allen probably had 500 times the budget as that was a triffid from the early 1980s BBC serialisation of "Day of the Triffids".

Cardboard, string and chicken wire, these were the special effects of the pre CGI generation.

Still had me pretty spooked as a child mind you.. 

Saw a tweet saying there have been more suicides in Scotland in the last 2 weeks than there have been Covid related deaths. My wife's pal was at her Uncle's funeral last week, he had decided that life was no longer worth living. He was 83.

Been a while since we saw any of our nursing heros on the thread, here are a couple of paramedics to keep us going in the meantime.IMG_20200619_050239.jpg

8 hours ago, mizfit said:

My girlfriends work are operating on a rotating 4 weeks on and 4 weeks off basis and once they’re finished the 4 weeks they’ll be furloughed again until their next cycle. However she reckons by the time it’s comes to her second cycle we should be at phase 3 and possible even phase 4 so her work might be back to normal.

You back in the office any time soon? A couple of members of my team have gone back this week, it sounds absolutely horrendous initially.

You back in the office any time soon? A couple of members of my team have gone back this week, it sounds absolutely horrendous initially.

Thankfully not, I don’t actually know of anyone going back in but from what I sounds like I’m glad I’m not going back.

For a start, I can’t find my pass. It got put away back in March and I haven’t seen it since.

I’m actually on annual leave now until the 7th July so I’m half expecting to find out about them when I’m likely to be back.

I think the idea and theory behind this is largely sound.

But without the ability to prevent cross border travel I can't see how this can be achieved and, crucially, sustained

Screenshot_20200619-084143_Twitter.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

15 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Let me ask you this Tynie, i think you seem to share my own views that the Scottish Government have made a c**t of this, see in May next year, could you honestly bring yourself to vote for the SNP?

This crisis has given Sturgeon the chance to run her "Nanny State" but there are lots of questions will be asked after this is done and dusted.

We have a Health Minister that is incapable of answering a direct question and is always keen to defer them until she gets her lackies to provide an answer for her.

We constantly heard that there were difficulties with bed blocking in hospitals but along comes this virus and they can miraculously empty the beds, but let's not test anyone or isolate them before placing them in homes. Look at the number of deaths this has caused.

The lack of PPE is/was inexcusable.

The PPE that arrived at Prestwick but could not be distributed because there were no labels on the boxes. Surely someone could have opened them and marked what was inside them.

Initially failing to sack Calderwood and then having to get her to resign when public opinion went against them.

Testing is another joke - promises that care home staff etc would be tested on a regular basis has just not happened and testing is no where near reaching the alleged capacity they have.

This has been the perfect solution to their failing school policies and they will use the virus as an excuse whenever criticised.

Exactly the same with the pie in the sky 1140 hours for nurseries. Again it was unlikely to be met but they have the perfect excuse again.

The lack of action against Derek Mackay.

Salmond has still to have his say.

Not including the long running issues with Trans identification, and the hospital issues QEUH and the Edinburgh Sick Kids Hospital.

And the sad thing is come election time they will sail through again because there is no viable alternative.

Edited by Hard Graft
spelling

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Saw a tweet saying there have been more suicides in Scotland in the last 2 weeks than there have been Covid related deaths. My wife's pal was at her Uncle's funeral last week, he had decided that life was no longer worth living. He was 83.

Been a while since we saw any of our nursing heros on the thread, here are a couple of paramedics to keep us going in the meantime.IMG_20200619_050239.jpg

Have to say I'm pretty worried about my dad. He's 79 this year, my mum died in August, and this last 3 months really feel like they've finished him off. He doesn't really have (m)any pals of his own left, his sister and a handful of my mums friends are all that really keep in touch. He was pretty down as it was, but given all he really likes to do is sit and watch football on the telly the last few months have been really grim for him. He's much more doddery than he was, and has definitely lost confidence about going out. 

Can see this being a major problem for a lot of old people who did actually take it seriously. 3 months is a long time when you're nearly 80 and deterioratinf. I'm basically going to march him round to the local old fogies group at knife point 🗡 when it starts again to try to give him some purpose back in his life. Fucking shite times.