Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Soft southern twats.

You look at the Euromomo site, which basically has a z score for excess death. England's is way higher than the other UK nations...

Edited by renton

3 minutes ago, bendan said:

Or that the threshold for hospitalisation is lower now there's no threat of being overrun?

Hospital admissions have reduced drastically to just 6 per day. Around 18% of hospital beds in Scotland are currently empty, normally they would be almost 100% occupied.

It's obvious people who are getting Covid-19 are not becoming as sick. But this will be due to a number of factors.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Hospital admissions have reduced drastically to just 6 per day. Around 18% of hospital beds in Scotland are currently empty, normally they would be almost 100% occupied.

It's obvious people who are getting Covid-19 are not becoming as sick. But this will be due to a number of factors.

Probably just lower viral load due to social distancing. There would be evidence of the virus mutating to a less harmful form if it had, there are loads of people checking that.

So far as phase 2 goes, I'm really not fussed about the pubs reopening. They'll be absolutely mobbed and sitting in a beer garden (which, for most, will likely be the car park with some seats in it) doesn't sound too appealing.

I'd much rather be able to get my haircut, go the gym or get a game of 5s. Hopefully the current trend continues and phase 3 is only a few weeks away!

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

Would any of you voluntarily put yourself and/or your family forward to take a proposed vaccine for coronavirus?

If it had passed all the safety tests and if it worked, of course. And the next day I'd be off on holiday.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Probably just lower viral load due to social distancing. There would be evidence of the virus mutating to a less harmful form if it had, there are loads of people checking that.

Symptomatic people isolating will also have an effect

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Good question.

No.

I'm with you on this.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If it had passed all the safety tests and if it worked, of course. And the next day I'd be off on holiday.

Given the timescales, chances of safety testing qualification is slim I'd say!

6 hours ago, coprolite said:

It's the other disgusting things you need to worry about. 

They ram cattle full of growth hormone to get more meat. Think of the giant steak that John Candy eats in The Great Outdoors and extrapolate what size of cow that must have been. 

And they make them eat a spine in a bap. 

MONDO BURGER

11 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

So far as phase 2 goes, I'm really not fussed about the pubs reopening. They'll be absolutely mobbed and sitting in a beer garden (which, for most, will likely be the car park with some seats in it) doesn't sound too appealing.

I'd much rather be able to get my haircut, go the gym or get a game of 5s. Hopefully the current trend continues and phase 3 is only a few weeks away!

Personally I will wear a hat whilst running to the pub. 

6 minutes ago, sjc said:

Would any of you voluntarily put yourself and/or your family forward to take a proposed vaccine for coronavirus?

I think this is a fairly valid question, particularly in terms of any vaccine's long-term success. I remember reading somewhere this week that any vaccine would require around 70% of people to be vaccinated in order for it to be effective in controlling an outbreak. 

Given this vaccine could, potentially, be develop in months instead of years there are bound to be people who are hesitant to accept it.  They may feel it hasn't been tested extensively enough, added to that your usual anti-vax brigade and those who may not be able to have the vaccine on medical grounds and there is the potential for there not being enough of the population being vaccinated to generate the herd-immunity.  

It's something governments should be trying to gauge in terms of public opinion.  There's no point in holding out for a vaccine when there may not be enough people willing to have it for it to be effective. 

8 minutes ago, sjc said:

I'm with you on this.

Given the timescales, chances of safety testing qualification is slim I'd say!

The new techniques using RNA templates (or something, no expert) I think mean they're pretty well guaranteed to be safe before starting. Anyway, probably safer for me than catching the virus with my immunity (or lack of).

Edited by welshbairn

13 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

True.

It's slightly annoying though that we are seemingly tied to the three weekly reviews to move forward all the same.

We wouldn't wait 11 days to move backwards.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No, just curious. Would you refuse any new drug then?

Yes I would and given that I've spent the last 5 months pumping my veins with poison on a biweekly basis, I'd say that's quite telling.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The new techniques using RNA templates (or something, no expert) I think mean they're pretty well guaranteed to be safe before starting. Anyway, probably safer for me than catching the virus with my immunity (or lack of).

You should look into the reasons why the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have been chased out of India and Central Africa!