Coronavirus (COVID-19)

27 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

None, as far as I'm aware.

Did you have a point, at all, caller?

Then it doesn't matter if you 'agreed with the general consensus' elsewhere if you did absolutely nothing of consequence to change the outcome in the UK while holding a position of public authority and accountability.

A straightforward enough logical sequence for most but I don't mind walking you through it on this occasion.

3 minutes ago, sjc said:

If there's a 2nd/3rd/4th wave, what exactly has been gained/learnt from the lockdown? 

That in the most part people do what they're told, and it is possible to control the infection rate. And any delay in implementation can be very costly.

Guest JTS98
22 minutes ago, bendan said:

Apart from advising students not to go to Australia because of alleged racist incidents, what other 'anti Australian' rhetoric has there been in the last few days?

First China told its citizens not to travel to Australia. Then when the Australians objected, the Chinese foreign ministry went back for more and spoke of  'many' Chinese people being 'hurt or even injured' in Australia due to the covid. They provided no evidence of this.

It's certainly striking for a government to tell its citizens not to visit a country that they typically holiday, study, and live in in large numbers.

I think that counts as striking. Especially on the back of the tariffs they imposed on Australian imports to China last month.

China seems to be going out of its way to have very few allies. This doesn't seem a sensible idea unless you consider that there may be trouble at home. There's no other reason to behave like this. It's for a domestic audience.

Just now, Scotty Tunbridge said:

That there is no money left for a second furlough.

Will the Government go down the lockdown route again or will they try the Swedish/Japanese approach instead?

Will the Government go down the lockdown route again or will they try the Swedish/Japanese approach instead?

This is the conservatives. They’ll probably try and shoot the poor.

Just now, sjc said:

I think they'll go more targeted to protect the vulnerable but keep the economy going.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

That in the most part people do what they're told, and it is possible to control the infection rate. And any delay in implementation can be very costly.

That depends upon which approach/figures you believe, surely? 

Just now, welshbairn said:

I think they'll go more targeted to protect the vulnerable but keep the economy going.

Again, you talk of vulnerable, yet Japan has the oldest, most densely populated Cities in the World and has had no spike in deaths.

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

First China told its citizens not to travel to Australia. Then when the Australians objected, the Chinese foreign ministry went back for more and spoke of  'many' Chinese people being 'hurt or even injured' in Australia due to the covid. They provided no evidence of this.

It's certainly striking for a government to tell its citizens not to visit a country that they typically holiday, study, and live in in large numbers.

I think that counts as striking. Especially on the back of the tariffs they imposed on Australian imports to China last month.

China seems to be going out of its way to have very few allies. This doesn't seem a sensible idea unless you consider that there may be trouble at home. There's no other reason to behave like this. It's for a domestic audience.

I'd describe it as the typical tit for tat shite China engages in (whether they started it or not in this case depends on your view). Calling it striking anti Australian rhetoric is a huge  exaggeration. Does Australia even allow Chinese in at the moment?

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Not really, it's just looking at what the most successful countries did.

Japan did next to nothing! The UK/US/Italian figures makes no sense by comparison.

8 minutes ago, sjc said:

Again, you talk of vulnerable, yet Japan has the oldest, most densely populated Cities in the World and has had no spike in deaths.

There are all sorts of variables in the Far East that make comparisons with the UK not very useful, habitual use of face masks for one. Makes more sense to compare the UK with similar European countries. Do you think if we had copied Japan we would have had more or fewer than 40 thousand deaths?

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

There are all sorts of variables in the Far East that make comparisons with the UK not very useful, habitual use of face masks for one. Makes more sense to compare the UK with similar European countries.

Granted but we have had cases of coronavirus in Tokyo and Osaka, which, given Japan's age demographic and these Cities densities, you'd expect a spike in deaths. 

Masks only tend to be worn by those that are sick (which is what they're designed for). I'm deemed at high risk yet I'll only wear a mask indoors when in close proximity to other people (not at home obviously)

I would love to know what Boris thinks of himself, does he lack the self awareness to think everyone thinks he's doing a good job and he doesn't need to appear more than once a fortnight at the max or does he really not care. The First Minister has been doing a briefing 6 days a week for as long as this has been going on, I can see how some of the decisions can be criticized but in terms of being open and transparent she is doing well. Also pisses me off that the UK briefing has never had a Northern Irish publication asking questions as far as I know and almost never has regional news asking questions.

Boris is a psychopath. See definition below.

Psychopathy is traditionally a personality disorder characterized by persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse, and bold, disinhibited, and egotistical traits. It is sometimes considered synonymous with sociopathy.

22 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

China seems to be going out of its way to have very few allies.

Erm yes, I'm sure that the PLA is shitting itself at the prospect of having to confront *checks notes* Malaysia or fucking Laos without having other allies in the region to back them up right now. The reason why China is throwing its weight around in the region is because they reckon that the Dayglo clown in the White House has got enough on his plate to deal with to stop them, it's a blatantly obvious power play.

Edited by vikingTON