Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

When is the next review date? This Thursday or next?

Had a read through the covid routemap document again and as far as I can tell, we're ticking every box to move to phase 2 

A week on Thursday I'm sure.

NS said that within the route map there was scope for doing things quicker. Despite the encouraging numbers we've been getting, I don't think there's any prospect of that.

I also note NS said she was "optimistic of moving onto Phase 2 at the next review, at least in part".

The "at least in part" bit suggest all of phase 2 might potentially not go ahead.

Re today’s SG TV broadcast.

I’ve just listened to a dick from the Telegraph (I think) who said that folk who are shielding are extremely angry because other folk can go outside and mingle (within reason).

He wanted to know how shielded folk cannae do the same.

The First Ministers reply was that shielded folk are the vulnerable ones and that is why they are shielding.

Where do these numpties get their information from?

Naebody has asked me if I’m extremely angry.

Re today’s SG TV broadcast.

I’ve just listened to a dick from the Telegraph (I think) who said that folk who are shielding are extremely angry because other folk can go outside and mingle (within reason).

He wanted to know how shielded folk cannae do the same.

The First Ministers reply was that shielded folk are the vulnerable ones and that is why they are shielding.

Where do these numpties get their information from?

Naebody has asked me if I’m extremely angry.

See that's what i don't get either.

They can go out and mingle if they want. Why are they furious?

It's government advice. It's for your own good. But we're talking about reducing risk or increasing it - nothing is guaranteed.

If folk are so angry about it, or if they are feeling genuinely desperate for some contact, then they just need to read the letter again and ignore the advice. This can be done whilst still taking very careful steps to minimise the risk (hand sanitizer, face masks, gloves, anti-bac wipes).

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I saw there was 0 deaths again but didn’t watch her speech. Did she mention thousands of people travelling more than 5 miles to the protests this weekend? 

Not a peep.

Distinctly different tone to last Monday.

Which tbf is fine. I felt last Monday was out of order.

NS will know where the majority of infections are happening. Probably not amongst the public at large. The reality is that a one-off, outdoor gathering will likely have little to no impact on the virus here.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Not a peep.

Distinctly different tone to last Monday

That will be a carefully considered move.  The BLM protests are a highly emotive issue, given the seemingly overwhelming support for the message (if not the physical protests) then it would be political suicide to condemn the protests and would risk detracting from the messages she wants to articulate.  

Edited by super_carson

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I see New Zealand are ready to go "back to normal" now they have had no new cases for 17 days and, on top of that, no one in hospital with it.

Not "new normal" but normal.

If the SG were to come out and say when we achieve the same we would also return to normal (instead of constantly pushing the "new normal" bollocks) i'm certain people would be less inclined to take the piss and also stop moaning.

Restrictions lifted just over half and hour a go.  Not just no new cases, no active cases in the country.

1 minute ago, super_carson said:

That will be a carefully considered move.  The BLM protests are a highly emotive issue, given the seemingly overwhelming support for the message (if not the physical protests) then it would be political suicide to condemn the protests and would risk detracting from the messages she wants to articulate.  

I agree. I have added a bit to my post.

3 minutes ago, super_carson said:

She’s spent weeks though pouring scorn on those breaking lockdown rules. Look at last Monday she was threatening to make the 5 mile advice an actual law because of families and Ned teenagers going to Luss. She can’t just suddenly change her view point because those flouting lockdown rules this weekend had a “cause”

Edited by Thereisalight..

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

She’s spent weeks though pouring scorn on those breaking lockdown rules. Look at last Monday she was threatening to make the 5 mile advice and actual law because of families and Ned teenagers going to Luss. She can’t just suddenly change her view point because those flouting lockdown rules this weekend had a “cause”

The Telegraph, Daily Mail and Sun all had the chance to quiz her on it, and chose not to.

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

She’s spent weeks though pouring scorn on those breaking lockdown rules. Look at last Monday she was threatening to make the 5 mile advice an actual law because of families and Ned teenagers going to Luss. She can’t just suddenly change her view point because those flouting lockdown rules this weekend had a “cause”

On this particular subject she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't speak about it.

By not commenting on it at all it allows the event to pass without causing a storm.

In the likely event nothing happens as a result of it, this is a clever move

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

The Telegraph, Daily Mail and Sun all had the chance to quiz her on it, and chose not to.

Seems rules can be broken when suited. A shame for people who couldn’t go to funerals of ones they cared about to “protect the NHS”, yet protests with thousands attending and travelling there is ok 

12 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

She’s spent weeks though pouring scorn on those breaking lockdown rules. Look at last Monday she was threatening to make the 5 mile advice and actual law because of families and Ned teenagers going to Luss. She can’t just suddenly change her view point because those flouting lockdown rules this weekend had a “cause”

I don't disagree with you, I don't think it's right that we are basically saying it's OK to break the restrictions en mass so long as it's for a cause that people think is  just or morally right (or however people want to describe it) as it could be open to people thinking it's OK to take the piss.  There is the added issue that there is a debate about whether it was acceptable to protest just now, rather than discussing the message. 

The virus doesn't take that into account and if we ended up with a spike in cases as a result brought about a longer period of restrictions it would, long-term, create social and economic conditions that would exacerbate the issues being protested.   While (cynically) I think there are a lot of virtue signallers at these protests, it is a significantly important message.  Scotland has it's share of racial/sectarian problems too, but in the context of this pandemic there has to be alternative ways to make voices be heard.  

However, there is a difference between you or I saying that here.  It's another thing for leader like NS to publicly state that.  She would undoubtedly face a huge backlash from the public, press and opposition parties as it is an emotionally charged subject and that could prove to be just as harmful in dealing with covid.  

Edited by super_carson