Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Did the weekly shop again today. Social distancing is over, except for in the queue outside, from what I can see. Simple as that; not just a few numpties anymore, but the majority of folk completely ignoring distancing, one-way systems, etc. And middle-aged women have gone back to blocking the entire aisle with their trolleys because they've just seen Jean from the PTA and she needs to ken what that bitch Karen has been telling everyone.

Karen was probably saying that she'd been tricked in to getting scrubbed all over with your arse bacteria horror sponge.

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Bit surprised by the far North. Is that Edinburgh that's the only purple gammon?

Looks like it. Think that's Edinburgh West home to the uber posh Cramond, Blackhall and Barnton. And Scott Brown. SNP tipped to take it at next GE if that happens in Scotland.

Here's a new poll. Only Ian Murray remaining. Hopefully Indyref2 can give him an early pension before then.

9 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Sorry if posted already but I was in Glasgow briefly today for the first time in over 11 weeks. Met with this in George Square. 

edit; probably the wrong thread

4EE8FE70-1927-463E-8F4A-97C4EAF8EB65.jpeg

I was actually just reflecting on this last week, where I hadn't seen an ACAB "mention" since the late 80's / early 90's.

12 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Eh... what?!

Dave tells a story about a lady he's named as Karen on the Things You Want to Share with P&B thread. Posted saturday night. If I was remotely competent I'd cross quote the post.

I wonder what stance NS will take at the briefing later in regards to the protests this weekend. She was quick enough to pour scorn on the loonies at the antilockdown gathering and those that clogged up Luss last weekend. Wonder if she’ll brush this under the carpet incase she upsets the left 

Guest JTS98
5 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

I wish some of the govt employed scientific experts (I know, I know) could actually explain whether the reduction in infections and deaths (albeit slow with uk deaths) is down to the measures and SD or down to the virus becoming less potent. If there is no spike by the next review as a layman I would have to conclude it's the later but it would be nice to see this analysed. As it stands and assuming no spike then phase two has to be a goer a week on Thursday. Fingers crossed.

There's no credible evidence that the virus is becoming less potent. That doesn't mean it won't happen in future, but no serious organisation or body currently believes that to be true. So the scientific experts are unlikely to specifically mention it because it's just not a 'thing' yet

Distancing measure work. We are seeing this all over the world.

5 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

I wish some of the govt employed scientific experts (I know, I know) could actually explain whether the reduction in infections and deaths (albeit slow with uk deaths) is down to the measures and SD or down to the virus becoming less potent. If there is no spike by the next review as a layman I would have to conclude it's the later but it would be nice to see this analysed. As it stands and assuming no spike then phase two has to be a goer a week on Thursday. Fingers crossed.

The virus almost certainly hasn’t lost potency. The genetic sequence for the virus has been analysed in thousands of patients, and there haven’t been any changes indicating this.

Reductions probably are due to the measures. However, most respiratory viruses follow a seasonal pattern and in most cases the summer is the period where rates are lowest. Covid-19 hasn’t been around long enough though to know how much that is a factor that is, but it might be significant.

4 hours ago, Adamski said:

The virus almost certainly hasn’t lost potency. The genetic sequence for the virus has been analysed in thousands of patients, and there haven’t been any changes indicating this.

Reductions probably are due to the measures. However, most respiratory viruses follow a seasonal pattern and in most cases the summer is the period where rates are lowest. Covid-19 hasn’t been around long enough though to know how much that is a factor that is, but it might be significant.

There seems a consensus that indoor, crowded and poorly ventilated places are the most likely locations for transmission, just as with other respiratory viruses. In most of Europe people spend less time in such places in summer so it would make sense that it's easier to control at this time of year.

5 hours ago, Adamski said:

In the southern hemisphere it is winter.  Presumably we would expect to see things getting worse down there.

13 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

In the southern hemisphere it is winter.  Presumably we would expect to see things getting worse down there.

I don't think it's summer itself that reduces transmission of respiratory viruses, it's just that people's behaviour tends to change. In some countries like the UK, that makes transmission harder because people spend more time outside, they are more likely to have windows open, and their immune system may be stronger. If it forced everyone inside because it was too hot, you wouldn't expect the effect to be the same.

12 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

What's the deal with people who have the mask over their mouth but not their nose?  Surely that defeats the purpose to some degree?

20200608_072156.jpg

Edited by Mr Pikey

1 hour ago, bendan said:

I don't think it's summer itself that reduces transmission of respiratory viruses, it's just that people's behaviour tends to change. In some countries like the UK, that makes transmission harder because people spend more time outside, they are more likely to have windows open, and their immune system may be stronger. If it forced everyone inside because it was too hot, you wouldn't expect the effect to be the same.

Some parts of the southern hemisphere are currently as cold just now as what it like here in December.  For example the southern parts of Chile and Argentina.  

20 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Some parts of the southern hemisphere are currently as cold just now as what it like here in December.  For example the southern parts of Chile and Argentina.  

Yes, I realise that. It will be a long time before we know what the actual impact is, seeing as there are so many other factors currently influencing things.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

It is indeed winter. I'll keep you all updated as the horrendous weather starts to bite...

Screenshot_20200608-161337_Chrome.jpg

46 minutes ago, bendan said:

Yes, I realise that. It will be a long time before we know what the actual impact is, seeing as there are so many other factors currently influencing things.

31 degrees in Qom today, centre of the Iranian outbreak, second wave reported.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

31 degrees in Qom today, centre of the Iranian outbreak, second wave reported.

Yes, we can be sure warm temperatures don't stop the virus all by themselves. Would it be worse in cooler temperatures? We'll have to wait and see.