Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Paco said:

The test isn’t accurate enough to mean testing negative lets you off the hook.

While we’re discussing the Scottish Government, I generally support Sturgeon’s strategy of no lockdown loosening until Test & Protect was ready (it took far too long but that’s done now). However it really should have laws/enforcement attached to it. People will undoubtedly ignore it.

Aye, I was coming at it from a position of assuming at least someone wants to comply with it but there are going to be several issues with it. Folk not wanting to take on a 14 day isolation being one of the biggest, but what of employers. 3 months from now are employers going to look the other way when some of their staff have been contacted for the second or third time for a 2 week stint at home? 

My work have already said they are speaking to the govt about exemption for staff, and are using veiled language that reads to me like "if you catch it, you will not name any colleagues as contacts"

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

I doubt exposing their public to potential death was one of those decisions they signed up for. There is no such this as collateral damage outwith war, it's a nonsense position and one nobody should be forced into. As I repeat easy for keyboard warriors to clamour for.

Well no, dealing with infectious disease pandemics is very much part of the job description of being a government minister or chief public health advisor of a country. They have to deal with flu outbreaks on a regular basis and exercises were in fact conducted after SARS and MERS to test responsiveness for this exact sort of problem. If they don't have the stomach for making tough yet rational decisions then they shouldn't be in the job, it's that straightforward.

Edited by vikingTON

46 minutes ago, virginton said:

The SG gave the green light for a fucking Old Firm match to go ahead on March 15 only for the SPFL to say 'nah you're alright, this has gone too far and we're postponing it instead'. The SG refused to close schools until March 19 despite having all the powers to do so weeks beforehand, on the specious basis that if they did then poor nurses and key workers wouldn't be able to look after their sprogs and do their jobs at the same time: somehow they've managed just fine over the past ten weeks though, with the hub spaces for children of key workers being massively under-filled throughout. The SG has still refused to enforce the wearing of face masks despite the obvious benefits of doing so, which is why people in SE Asia adopted the practice before the outbreak even began while smart countries in Europe made them mandatory among their citizens within days of a national outbreak beginning. There's no actual evidence then that the SG was straining at the reins to try and respond to the crisis in March: they were quite clearly drinking the same Kool-Aid as Johnson.

It is both incorrect and frankly pathetic for people to try and bat off the bulk of criticism of how the SG has handled the outbreak on the grounds that England made us do it.

DH is the lead government department in England during the health response to an influenza pandemic. It will also perform a number of lead functions for the devolved administrations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and take overarching responsibility for the UK response.

21 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
26 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:
The whole test and protect thing is an absolute shitshow. Fundamentally flawed and according to reports - any time you come into contact with someone with covid you’ve to self isolate for 14 days. This is to last for 2 years! 

If you want any sort of return to "normal " (and by Christ you have been squealing for it since week 1) it's the main weapon but I agree so far it looks like a botch if tracing numbers are being point blank refused.

It’s a pig in a poke. Firstly there’s numerous older people who don’t have smart phones, yet they're the ones who are most at risk. Secondly the rest of the population with smart phones. I personally know of quite a few who aren’t willing to have their contact details shared. Yes they’re on FB and the like that can “trace” them, but they still don’t feel comfortable with the trace and protect set up 

It’s a pig in a poke. Firstly there’s numerous older people who don’t have smart phones, yet they're the ones who are most at risk. Secondly the rest of the population with smart phones. I personally know of quite a few who aren’t willing to have their contact details shared. Yes they’re on FB and the like that can “trace” them, but they still don’t feel comfortable with the trace and protect set up 
Test and protect doesnt rely on smartphones. Its phoning up people who have been named by a positive covid patient

I don't need to justify myself to anyone other than myself.
I'm not making excuses, I'm merely pointing out the idiocy of the rules and I take 100% responsibility for EVERY decision I make as I'm the one making it.
The rules aren't idiotic at all.

They've been explained countless times, and it all makes sense.

Whether you agree with them or not is a totally different matter. But in Scotland the rules have been clear, and well-communicated.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
26 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Test and protect doesnt rely on smartphones. Its phoning up people who have been named by a positive covid patient

There will still be certain people who feel uncomfortable with that. Also you may be in contact with people who you dont know. 

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'll be honest, I knew this day would be soon, but I did think it would be a Monday.

That it's a Sunday is a very good sign

7 day average is now 7.5

I was suprised to see this today. Great news and the first time 0 deaths have been recorded since March. Long may it continue 

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'll be honest, I knew this day would be soon, but I did think it would be a Monday.

That it's a Sunday is a very good sign

7 day average is now 7.5

Great news. I thought we'd maybe get this in the next week or two, do glad it's came relatively soon.

Puts a bit of pressure on NS

54 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Why are we pretending social distancing is an evermore thing?

WTD there have been just 163 infections recorded, and 53 deaths. It's over 2 months till schools return. On the current trend that number, if it's any at all, will be miniscule.

If it was any other infection, would you advocate such radical changes for that level of disease?

The idea that we need to keep this going and going needs put in the bin ASAP.

And just so far off your script...

Without focusing on the zero, the number is obviously low and getting lower. But see if we go a few weeks like that and with cases dropping, coupled with the fact that a vaccine may never happen, what are the parameters we wait for for a return "normality"?

By that I mean schools at capacity, pubs and restaurants open, mass gatherings etc. Because so far as I can seen, phase 4 comes with the caveat that physical distancing may remain in place meaning even then schools and mass gatherings would be a no.

This is good news but to sound a note of caution.  Figures and reporting is usually a bit behind over the weekend.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Yes it is, completely irrelevant waffle that should be punted to the politics forum because it's completely irrelevant here.

But I did say at the start of my original  post (1926) that thanks to#theroadlesstravelled making a political post that allowed me to make mine.

waffle: speak or write at length in a vague or trivial manner.

One fcuking sentence is what I wrote. I think you are the one who is waffling.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Well no, dealing with infectious disease pandemics is very much part of the job description of being a government minister or chief ublic health advisor of a country. They have to deal with flu on a regular basis and exercises were in fact conducted after SARS and MERS to test responsiveness for this exact sort of problem. If they don't have the stomach for making tough yet rational decisions then they shouldn't be in the job, it's that straightforward.

But you girn that the SG make the wrong decisions.

Edited by Wee Willie

Why are we pretending social distancing is an evermore thing?
WTD there have been just 163 infections recorded, and 53 deaths. It's over 2 months till schools return. On the current trend that number, if it's any at all, will be miniscule.
If it was any other infection, would you advocate such radical changes for that level of disease?
The idea that we need to keep this going and going needs put in the bin ASAP.
You have the cart ahead of the horse . It's arguably because of SD and measures that we are seeing such low figs. That is why we relax measures slowly , to test that very theory.

The smart phone issue will be irrelevant, it will be old school T&T not an app.

8 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Good thanks.  Work was really busy and I was also on the SFA working group for getting the game back.  I'm not overly happy with the lack of interest shown in those not in top flight but that's another story.

I found that working all day in healthcare then moderating this site and reading more stuff about Covid etc was dropping my mood somewhat so I've had a few weeks away.   Feel better for it.  

I've also managed to get my fence painted after work and did a lot of online Spanish lessons.  

Happy days.

Bienvenidos gilipollas!