Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 hours ago, madwullie said:

Black people know that and have taken it into consideration when deciding to march. They calculate of the two things (in the US) that are currently killing them disproportionately, police brutality is the trump 

Very subtle.

18 hours ago, virginton said:

A: Because this isn't the Politics forum and so your waffle about nuclear weapons policy isn't even remotely relevant to the thread.

This is what I wrote -

For example - SNP say no to Trident in Scottish waters but unionists support it being in Scotland.

In your opinion what would be a 'reasonable middle ground' ?

You support Morton but if there is a nuclear accident at Faslane then it's Greenock no more.

And you say my post is waffle?

11 hours ago, bendan said:

That's probably true, but the fact is the SG have been afraid to make any kind of meaningful decision throughout. Cautious about going into lockdown, cautious about coming out.

And there is eff-all wrong with that (in my opinion)

11 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

And as the Tories are hell-bent on pursuing a No-Deal Brexit it's imperative that the Trump circus has departed Washington in November.

It's imperative that Scotland gets out of this madhouse.

11 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Being wrong about cautiously going into lockdown doesn't mean they're wrong about being cautious coming out of lockdown. While they've clearly got things to learn iit's better to be safe than sorry as we start to ease things off.

Exactly!

The outbreak became far too widespread and well-entrenched for suppression to be a credible strategy in the UK some time ago. The specific goal when a three week lockdown was announced was to prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed. That's not going to happen any time soon but the SG has since shifted the goalposts to 'keeping R well below 1': an aim that few would have signed up for if all the medium term disruption to do so had been spelled out in March. 
Given the difficulty and enormous personal, societal and fiscal costs involved in suppression we should now be willing to accept a linear infection curve while opening things up from this point on. 
Very easy for someone posting anonymously on a football forum to state but a very different matter for a politician to be seen to make a decision where, by your own admission, that decision will cause some people to lose their life that was preventable. I fully understand how difficult a decision that must be for any human being to make and it's not in NS nature going by everything we have seen so far. BJ is now openly admitting it's no longer a public health driver, it's economic unfortunately our FM does not have the financial tools at her disposal to make that sort of decision even if she wanted too so an end to financial support by the UK govt will dictate ultimately what happens here.

2 hours ago, bendan said:

Does it really take hindsight to say that shutting down the economy for a few months might have serious consequences? Or that stopping various activities (without having a full lockdown) earlier in March might have been a good idea? The SPFL suspended its competition before the government banned large gatherings. If Neil Doncaster can see something's a good idea, if must be pretty f****** obvious.

The trouble is that "the science" advised that large events were not zero risk but were low risk. Johnson and Sturgeon would've been slaughtered if they had cancelled them and for ignoring the advice of people who are supposed to know about this. 

Many things went wrong and with the benefit of hindsight the advice the government was given proved to be bad. The inquiry really ought to focus on why this was, given events elsewhere. As I've said before, this does not excuse government bungling after the lockdown. 

11 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Being wrong about cautiously going into lockdown doesn't mean they're wrong about being cautious coming out of lockdown. While they've clearly got things to learn iit's better to be safe than sorry as we start to ease things off.

Being cautious about coming out of lockdown is all well and good, and I agree with being cautious, but is the problem for the devolved governments not going to be maintaining lockdown while the furlough payments reduce? Or are we not going to be in lockdown when they start to reduce? If people are only going to be getting 60% of their wages they'll go back to work, lockdown or no lockdown.

10 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

It's statistically likely that somewhere along the line, the friend, relative (or someone) unknown to them will die as a result of these gatherings. 

That doesn't sit well with me, despite how much I agree with their message.  

People will have to accept the consequences of their actions. Which they won't do of course, particularly if a stranger dies, as they won't know them. Friend or relative? It'll be somebody else's fault.

Being cautious about coming out of lockdown is all well and good, and I agree with being cautious, but is the problem for the devolved governments not going to be maintaining lockdown while the furlough payments reduce? Or are we not going to be in lockdown when they start to reduce? If people are only going to be getting 60% of their wages they'll go back to work, lockdown or no lockdown.
The economic support available is bound to influence any decisions by the devolved governments - you would think that by the end of July they would be into phase 3 - or at least ready to start it.

It's those phase 4 businesses - in the leisure and entertainment sector - that will be the big concern - I don't even think they will be open in England at that point. I would not be surprised if there are industry specific economic measures put in place for those sectors.

3 hours ago, bendan said:

Does it really take hindsight to say that shutting down the economy for a few months might have serious consequences? Or that stopping various activities (without having a full lockdown) earlier in March might have been a good idea? The SPFL suspended its competition before the government banned large gatherings. If Neil Doncaster can see something's a good idea, if must be pretty f****** obvious.

I think that was to get Hearts relegated demoted expelled, tbqh

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Be deliberately obtuse if you want.  Other posters will see it for what it is.

I'm more than happy for people to point out / have a chuckle about anything I got wrong. When you have opinions about things that happens. You should try it sometime rather than just posting filler waffle.

Over the piece I feel i have been right a fair bit more than i've been wrong. It's not a contest.

28 minutes ago, renton said:

I don't think that compliance to Scot Gov lockdown measures amongst the unionist portion of the populace would be enhanced by such an inflammatory action which would be therefore self defeating.

With less restrictions than down South that becomes moot.

Not a chance they would not do something they were allowed to do because those down South couldn't do it.

17 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

This is what I wrote -

For example - SNP say no to Trident in Scottish waters but unionists support it being in Scotland.

In your opinion what would be a 'reasonable middle ground' ?

You support Morton but if there is a nuclear accident at Faslane then it's Greenock no more.

And you say my post is waffle?

And there is eff-all wrong with that (in my opinion)

It's imperative that Scotland gets out of this madhouse.

Exactly!

Willie, VT is only on this site to be an arsehole & post tired old pictures of Ainsley Harriot. You will not beat him as he is always right in his tiny little mind. I suspect that we will not agree about certain things but best not to waste your time here, thanks for playing champ etc.

9 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The economic support available is bound to influence any decisions by the devolved governments - you would think that by the end of July they would be into phase 3 - or at least ready to start it.

It's those phase 4 businesses - in the leisure and entertainment sector - that will be the big concern - I don't even think they will be open in England at that point. I would not be surprised if there are industry specific economic measures put in place for those sectors.

There are no 'Phase 4 businesses.' Phase 4 is more about rolling back any remaining restrictions (e.g. capacity / additional hygiene) than any sectors opening back up.

23 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

They won't have jobs to go back to

Scottish schools are aiming to reopen to kids on August 11th. They can’t go back until Phase 3 here, and Phase 3 effectively has everyone back at work albeit still with social distancing measures in place. I’m quite sure that isn’t a coincidence. We expect, or are aiming, to be fully open when the furlough scheme begins to taper out.

Not surprising that Yes seems to be establishing a 'new normal' lead in the polls. Boris' shambolic handling of the Covid crisis is pushing more folk our way.

But... the east of Fife and Aberdeenshire?! No surprise with the Borders and those areas replete with wealthy gammon types.

On 28/05/2020 at 17:30, Jacksgranda said:

Sent an e-mail off to Gregory Campbell and Colum Eastwood re Dominic Cummings.

No reply yet from G Campbell, MP. Not even an acknowledgement. I'm beggining to think he doesn't think Cummings - and the government - haven't done anything wrong.

34 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

That's a big part of NI economy. This summer's a write off, I can see our economy being totally wrecked.

10 minutes ago, Paco said:

Scottish schools are aiming to reopen to kids on August 11th. They can’t go back until Phase 3 here, and Phase 3 effectively has everyone back at work albeit still with social distancing measures in place. I’m quite sure that isn’t a coincidence. We expect, or are aiming, to be fully open when the furlough scheme begins to taper out.

To say Scottish schools are aiming to reopen to kids on August 11th is a touch disingenuous. Yes they should be open, but it's looking like a pathetic 2 day week for them.

I was in a restaurant last night and about half the customers wore masks as they came in as instructed by a sign on the door.  (including our company) Obviously they removed them after their food arrived.  The waitress was masked all the time.

Some old twats were still kissing and shaking hands though.     Old, stupid and French... it's where it's at...

Second wave incoming?

Edited by cyderspaceman