Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

There has to have been a huge lesson learned in terms of preparations at a national level but I think theres still a lit of folk insisting that life can never be the same again. If I go to a pub or restaurant or anywhere that maintains any trace of covid measures visible to me as a customer once this is dusted I wouldnt be back. I recognise the need for it but I fucking hate it. I hate being permitted into a shop one at a time, I hate the big stupid 2 metre tape and I hate the perspex screens and the aversion to being close to others that has been drilled into everyone.

If I meet someone in a setting where a handshake would be appropriate and they f**k me off cos covid I would be raging with them.

I get what you mean, once bitten twice shy, but if its affecting the experience of being somewhere like a pub or that they would lose my custom

I just don't see any pub implementing measures in the scenario that covid is no longer a threat. Why would they? There would be no government guidance telling them to do it, people would just go to a pub that didn't have them.

But if we do have a new virus threat then pubs and restaurants have well prepared distancing measures and can continue trading in some form rather than locking down as they have done this time. That of course needs to be coupled with a strong government using an effective track and trace system, but businesses really need to prepare for this now. We'll have 10 billion people on the planet by 2030 or something, the potential for these viruses will only increase.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I hate being permitted into a shop one at a time

On that. Taking Supermarkets as an example, surely as the number of people with Covid-19 reduces you are more at risk of catching it from standing in a queue beside the same people for 30/45 minutes than being able to just shop normally.

Tbh taking any sort of deeper look at the UK govt figures is a waste of time. They're so fucking fiddled from all angles that they might as well just use a random number generator each day

Edited by madwullie

7 minutes ago, bennett said:

Hopefully it's just a temporary jump and  not down to Boris Johnson being too hasty in slackening off restrictions. 

See my post above.

When dealing with what are now relatively low numbers lagged data will have a more noticeable effect.

Edited by Todd_is_God

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

On that. Taking Supermarkets as an example, surely as the number of people with Covid-19 reduces you are more at risk of catching it from standing in a queue beside the same people for 30/45 minutes than being able to just shop normally.

Seriously?  

You think there’s a greater risk standing next to 20 folk compared to potentially interacting with 100s of folk?

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I just don't see any pub implementing measures in the scenario that covid is no longer a threat. Why would they? There would be no government guidance telling them to do it, people would just go to a pub that didn't have them.

But if we do have a new virus threat then pubs and restaurants have well prepared distancing measures and can continue trading in some form rather than locking down as they have done this time. That of course needs to be coupled with a strong government using an effective track and trace system, but businesses really need to prepare for this now. We'll have 10 billion people on the planet by 2030 or something, the potential for these viruses will only increase.

...and you were doing so well up to that point, as well.

Businesses will put some kind of contingency in place, as it's quite obvious the government won't*, until or even after ircumstances demand - which is where levels of reponse are knee-jerk and often inappropriate. Look at HMPPS, where the overtime budget has already been exhausted, and a second wave of any magnitude will cause chaos in the CJ system.

*Please don't get me started on the "Massive financial support" which our fucking grandkids' taxes will be paying off for the sake of postponing the forthcoming depression by six months.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I kind of though that was the road you were going down. I think there will be a large element of society who actively attempt to distance themselves from others and change their behaviour after this.  Also tink theres at least a decent chance some businesses will attempt to allay post covid virus fears, whether theres an actual need for it or not. Some things I am ok with, like encouraging contactless payment for example, but I think we will see a lingering disproportionate level of fear for quite some time. 

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

...and you were doing so well up to that point, as well.

Businesses will put some kind of contingency in place, as it's quite obvious the government won't*, until or even after ircumstances demand - which is where levels of reponse are knee-jerk and often inappropriate. Look at HMPPS, where the overtime budget has already been exhausted, and a second wave of any magnitude will cause chaos in the CJ system.

*Please don't get me started on the "Massive financial support" which our fucking grandkids' taxes will be paying off for the sake of postponing the forthcoming depression by six months.

I am living in hope that the fall out from this would ensure any future government would be daft to take the same lax approach to another viral infection like this, but that is perhaps naive of me I admit.

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Seriously?  

You think there’s a greater risk standing next to 20 folk compared to potentially interacting with 100s of folk?

How often during a daily shop do you get within 2 metres of anyone else, let alone for a significant period of time? 

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I kind of though that was the road you were going down. I think there will be a large element of society who actively attempt to distance themselves from others and change their behaviour after this.  Also tink theres at least a decent chance some businesses will attempt to allay post covid virus fears, whether theres an actual need for it or not. Some things I am ok with, like encouraging contactless payment for example, but I think we will see a lingering disproportionate level of fear for quite some time. 

I tend to disagree with the "large element" part. The majority of society are absolutely itching to get back to normal and when this is declared over you'll see a small minority who continue to be paranoid for a while, but once they see others out enjoying themselves they'll come round.

My company are talking about working from home becoming a permanent thing and there's chat of moving to a 4 day week. If that is the consequences of post covid fears then you can count me in.

8 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Seriously?  

If there were say only 10 people at a Supermarket at any one time that had Covid-19, I would say you are at greater risk of being stood next to one for 30 minutes in a queue than bumping in to one of them if you were shopping as normal, yes.

Standing near a Covid-19 carrier for half an hour is obviously a greater risk than walking past them for 5 seconds to pick up a tin of beans.

Do you not agree?

11 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Tbh taking any sort of deeper look at the UK govt figures is a waste of time. They're so fucking fiddled from all angles that they might as well just use a random number generator each day

This. Absolutely this. The daily PowerPoint has become a simple diversion to detract from the latest fúck-up. The number of deaths, which became irrelevant when we topped the table - the fabled R number, which was never mentioned until it became the most important measure, the number of people tested or the number of tests carried out or the number of tests posted or the capacity for testing - have these fuckers got no shame that they continue to stand there telling us that if it goes to shit it's our own fault British Common Sense will see us through?

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

See my post above.

When dealing with what are now relatively low numbers lagged data will have a more noticeable effect.

See the one I've quoted above yours. Lies, damned lies, etc.

Any semi-competent Acountant can make figures tell whatever story is required.

We all want to get back to normal, but when a group of scientists say that postponing school re-opening by two weeks could result in a 50% reduction in infections in that environment, I for one would have liked to see that being taken into consideration. My siblings - all teachers - may have retired, but they are united in their scorn, as it is so obvious schools are being returned to their "budget childcare" role, rather than the move being for the kids' benefit. When are the vast majority of Independent schools returning to the classroom, by the way? Therein lies your answer as to the motivation behind this bit of lockdown-loosening.

Just now, bennett said:

Thousands at our parks and beaches, thousands of protesters in London giving no regard  for social distancing or the virus.

EZmNRhpXgAQWzJW?format=jpg&name=900x900

Looking at it from a different angle, it will be interesting to see what impact, if any, that has on infections and hospital admissions due to Covid-19 in London.

28 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Please point out that the police actually did think he had broken the law btw. That might doesn't mean what he wants it to mean, and he either should know that and is shit at his job, or is deliberately misunderstanding it in the hope the reader doesn't understand it, to get away with talking shite. 

They said if they'd seen him they'd have sent him home, and if he'd refused they'd have taken further action. The police can't send you home if they don't think you're breaking the law. 

Oh, don't worry, that is front and centre in the first draft. I like to allow a bit of time and probably a night's sleep before editing before sending off the finished article. First draft is normall stream of consciousness venting. Good for the soul, but possibly actionable. And the cúnt's a lawyer.

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

See the one I've quoted above yours. Lies, damned lies, etc.

I understand distrust in the Government's figures.

I wasn't, however, aware that people didn't believe the figures from the NHS.