Coronavirus (COVID-19)

24 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

The PHE mortality numbers are almost back to normal
Screenshot_20200603-135340_Drive.jpeg

I would not be surprised to see the line continue to fall.

If excess deaths are now almost zero, it really is time to revise the roadmaps and potential easing stages in the weeks ahead. Can we ease restrictions quicker than expected? If it looks like we can, we absolutely should.

I get the impression deaths, particularly outwith care homes, have decreased much quicker than most would have hoped for, and certainly our politicians and scientists who developed the roadmaps.

It's clear the virus is less dangerous now than it was two months ago. It's weakened considerably and looks to be burning out. I imagine the roadmaps were devised assuming the strength of the virus remained as was. And are extremely cautious as a result.

It is a good example of why rash, emotive statements like the Dutch guy a month ago are ill advised.

The lockdown more than likely quickened the pace this happened at, which goes someway to justify the consequences. But should be eased as much as it can be as quickly as possible in order that businesses do not make costly, unnecessary investments to comply with being "Covid-19 safe"

The damage to Scottish football has already been done with that TV deal. That impact will be felt for years.

Edited by Todd_is_God

44 minutes ago, Steven W said:

This whole quarantine thing is Patel's political equivalent of a vibrator. She'll be absolutely loving this mini delve into the xenophobic utopia of (pretty much) closed British borders.

As you say, we're the sick man of Europe and if anything you'd think other countries would want us to quarantine prior to arriving there. I note Portugal and Italy (and in July Spain) will be opening up there tourism industry.

The sick joke of Europe also.

4 hours ago, Snafu said:

Speaking of restaurants I see Frankie and Benny's are in even more trouble than pre COVID-19 and might not be re opening most of their outlets. Back in February the owners were going to close 90-150  restaurants, now it looks like even more.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52899624

I've never set foot inside one of their restaurants so I don't know what the quality of their food is like.

It's boil in the bag fast food shite, similar to chain pub food but three times the price. 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

And looking like no top flight football in front of crowds until 2021, when the virus magically resets itself 

Maybe you'll magically find a brain cell around the same time.

29 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The lockdown more than likely quickened the pace this happened at, which goes someway to justify the consequences. But should be eased as much as it can be as quickly as possible in order that businesses do not make costly, unnecessary investments to comply with being "Covid-19 safe"

It's clear you're eager for this to be over but we don't really know what affect the weekend there has had yet. It's conceivable that if anyone has caught it from the weekend they aren't even showing any symptoms yet. If we see no spike over the next 10-14 days then I fully expect we'll shift onto the next phase. The government are being criticised (rightly in some cases) for every move they make at the moment, if they lift this too early they'll be battered for it.

As for businesses making "unnecessary investment", that seems quite a short sighted view. When this kicked off it was clear very few businesses were prepared for operating under lockdown/social distancing measures, that being despite just about any health expert warning for decades that a virus like this could break out. This has forced businesses to look at how they can operate not only now but if any future virus breaks out. Businesses (and the fucking government) should absolutely be learning lessons and investing in anything that is necessary to help ease the affects of a national lockdown and keep their employees employed.

Just been to the local drive through Starbucks.

4 staff all wearing facemasks behind the counter.

1 wearing it properly, 2 of them with it pulled down just covering their mouth with their nose exposed and 1 of them with it pulled down to his jawline with both mouth and nose exposed.

What’s the point 🤣

If you aren’t going to wear the mask properly you’re better not wearing it at all. Wearing it improperly just means you’re touching your face more which increases risk without getting any of the benefits of the mask.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Businesses (and the fucking government) should absolutely be learning lessons and investing in anything that is necessary to help ease the affects of a national lockdown and keep their employees employed.

Bars and restaurants buying and installing screens, dividers and PPE is an expensive solution to what looks like may turn out to be a very short term problem.

They are undesireable both to owners, and, more importantly, to customers.

The government have made an arse of every step in this process. It would be fitting should they continue this by stifling recovery way longer than is necessary.

Not long had my second covid test, which was slightly less horrendous than the first time round, prior to going back to work.
I heard those fucking ***** *******'s were making their staff travel up Weds, go off on Friday then do 3 full weeks for the privilege of an extra 50 notes. They currently have me seething on behalf of others. Hope you on a better deal than that my man

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
36 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:
Not long had my second covid test, which was slightly less horrendous than the first time round, prior to going back to work.

I heard those fucking ***** *******'s were making their staff travel up Weds, go off on Friday then do 3 full weeks for the privilege of an extra 50 notes. They currently have me seething on behalf of others. Hope you on a better deal than that my man

Last trip, I had to travel up on a Monday in April, for a test to mobilise the Thursday. Spent 3 days sitting in the Speedbird, but I got 3 days overtime out of it. They changed it not long after to £50 a day. Rightfully a lot of the guys are kicking off about, some just refused point blank. They put it down as refused to mobilise so guys were losing their trip and pay. I’m going offshore tomorrow so it’s a case of tested lunchtime, to mobilise the next day. They’ve fucked a lot of people off again, so it’s no surprise a lot are talking about leaving. 

Last trip, I had to travel up on a Monday in April, for a test to mobilise the Thursday. Spent 3 days sitting in the Speedbird, but I got 3 days overtime out of it. They changed it not long after to £50 a day. Rightfully a lot of the guys are kicking off about, some just refused point blank. They put it down as refused to mobilise so guys were losing their trip and pay. I’m going offshore tomorrow so it’s a case of tested lunchtime, to mobilise the next day. They’ve fucked a lot of people off again, so it’s no surprise a lot are talking about leaving. 
They have absolutely shafted the lads where I was too. Wee bits in the news about it. Worstcunts.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Bars and restaurants buying and installing screens, dividers and PPE is an expensive solution to what looks like may turn out to be a very short term problem.

They are undesireable both to owners, and, more importantly, to customers.

The government have made an arse of every step in this process. It would be fitting should they continue this by stifling recovery way longer than is necessary.

It's not a short term problem if we're being told it's only a matter of time until the next virus. I was also more talking about other aspects of business than pubs or restaurants, but I don't see it as a bad thing if pubs have the resources to socially distance folk in future should they need to. It might be "undesirable" to customers in that they'd much rather be able to just enter a pub and consume as they used to, but are you really suggesting that a majority of people won't bother going to the pub because they'll get a table to themselves with nobody directly nearby? I respectfully disagree, that sounds an ideal pub experience tbh.

You won't find me defending the government approach, we were criminally slow to act and in all honesty I think jail time shouldn't be out of the question for some after this is done, but I'm quite happy for us to take our time coming out of this so that we're sure we won't have another spike of deaths.

It's not a short term problem if we're being told it's only a matter of time until the next virus. I was also more talking about other aspects of business than pubs or restaurants, but I don't see it as a bad thing if pubs have the resources to socially distance folk in future should they need to. It might be "undesirable" to customers in that they'd much rather be able to just enter a pub and consume as they used to, but are you really suggesting that a majority of people won't bother going to the pub because they'll get a table to themselves with nobody directly nearby? I respectfully disagree, that sounds an ideal pub experience tbh.
You won't find me defending the government approach, we were criminally slow to act and in all honesty I think jail time shouldn't be out of the question for some after this is done, but I'm quite happy for us to take our time coming out of this so that we're sure we won't have another spike of deaths.
Are you suggesting that once covid is gone we take steps to socially distance ourselves in some ways, in case another similar pandemic comes?

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Are you suggesting that once covid is gone we take steps to socially distance ourselves in some ways, in case another similar pandemic comes?

Once COVID is gone we won't have any need for distancing, but the next time we wake up and read "New Coronavirus found in (most probably) China)" and our government takes another "eh, we'll just see what happens eh, herd immunity is a thing innit?" approach that businesses will be in a better place to put in social distancing measure so they can continue trading.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This doesn't look encouraging. 

image.thumb.png.a898cfc01e627aa4e4649b5ee54eaaaa.png

On the face of it no, however when you dig a bit deeper it might have an explanation

The first screenshot shows when today's announced deaths occurred, compared to the same figures announced yesterday (middle).

Considerably more on today's.

At the bottom we have total NHS England hospital deaths. The last five days are all under 100, though these are updated daily

Screenshot_20200603-155429_WPS Office.jpg

Screenshot_20200603-155456_WPS Office.jpg

Screenshot_20200603-155345_WPS Office.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

Once COVID is gone we won't have any need for distancing, but the next time we wake up and read "New Coronavirus found in (most probably) China)" and our government takes another "eh, we'll just see what happens eh, herd immunity is a thing innit?" approach that businesses will be in a better place to put in social distancing measure so they can continue trading.
There has to have been a huge lesson learned in terms of preparations at a national level but I think theres still a lit of folk insisting that life can never be the same again. If I go to a pub or restaurant or anywhere that maintains any trace of covid measures visible to me as a customer once this is dusted I wouldnt be back. I recognise the need for it but I fucking hate it. I hate being permitted into a shop one at a time, I hate the big stupid 2 metre tape and I hate the perspex screens and the aversion to being close to others that has been drilled into everyone.

If I meet someone in a setting where a handshake would be appropriate and they f**k me off cos covid I would be raging with them.

I get what you mean, once bitten twice shy, but if its affecting the experience of being somewhere like a pub or that they would lose my custom

5 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Compare and contrast with the reply I received from Silent Knight:

Dear WhiteRoseKillie,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about the actions of Dominic Cummings.

Being informed of your views is important to me as your Member of Parliament as it allows me to relay your observations directly to Government and raise them at the highest level. I have now conveyed your sentiments on to the Prime Minister who is aware of what my constituents think of Mr Cummings and his trip to Durham.

Ultimately, it is the Prime Minister’s responsibility to decide whether Mr Cummings’ behaviour, in any respect, warrants the decision being made that his own adviser’s employment should be terminated.

The Government guidance under which Mr Cummings acted says: ‘If you have children, keep following this advice to the best of your ability. However, we are aware that not all these measures will be possible.’

However, I am aware that some people still wish to see Mr Cummings resign from his position and as mentioned, I have already passed on local concerns expressed to me in this regard.

My own view is that he should not receive preferential treatment but like everyone else, he should still be afforded the prospect of being dealt with fairly. If he fails to abide by the law of the land, I would expect to see an investigation to be carried out by the police. 

The issue of whether or not the lockdown law was broken is not one for the Prime Minister to determine, nor for me, or the press but is a matter for the police. Indeed, I understand that Durham Police have now concluded their investigation into the allegations made against Mr Cummings.

The police have determined that his initial trip was not a breach of the lockdown but have also suggested that Mr Cummings might have committed what they call “a minor breach of the guidelines” when he drove to Barnard Castle on 12th April.

In respect of this “minor” possible breach, the police have also now announced that they will not be taking any further action.

Living through the lockdown has not been easy for anyone and there are many lessons to be learned so we can respond effectively in the future. Our globally unprecedented package of financial support means millions can return to jobs that would otherwise have been lost and the new test-and-trace strategy should mean that, looking ahead, coronavirus can be better contained,

I do believe that we all owe a debt of gratitude to those who have stayed at home and to our exceptional NHS staff and the countless volunteers and key workers who have helped during this new and still unpredictable threat.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. I hope, as a nation, that we can remain on course in our shared goals to protect lives, defeat this virus and to return the UK to normality as soon as is safely possible.

Kind regards

Greg Knight 

I'm sure he was up all night composing that heart-felt reply, but all I take from it is a shit-load of explaining why we've always been at war with Eastasia, followed by three paragraphs of White Cliffs, Dunkirk, and Blitz Spirit. Rest assured he will be hearing from me again.

Please point out that the police actually did think he had broken the law btw. That might doesn't mean what he wants it to mean, and he either should know that and is shit at his job, or is deliberately misunderstanding it in the hope the reader doesn't understand it, to get away with talking shite. 

They said if they'd seen him they'd have sent him home, and if he'd refused they'd have taken further action. The police can't send you home if they don't think you're breaking the law. 

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This doesn't look encouraging. 

image.thumb.png.a898cfc01e627aa4e4649b5ee54eaaaa.png

Hopefully it's just a temporary jump and  not down to Boris Johnson being too hasty in slackening off restrictions. Here's hoping the numbers go back down.

Edited by bennett