Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Angusfifer said:

In your head maybe

Let me make it nice and simple for you.

In the hypothetical, but not unrealistic, scenario described. Would you still support not being able to hug family members, or go out for dinner or drinks to relax?

40 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Johnson wants weekends off shocker. 

That said, I would prefer the frequency of the briefings were reduced. I don't really see the need for them every day now and they are generally a shambles anyway, with Johnson not present and some substitute chucked into deal with it and look incompetent. 

Fair point tbf.

The briefings could easilly be done in 5 minutes. The figures are all people are really interested in unless something is being changed.

The public questions are pointless and usually irrelevant, and the journalists rarely get their questions answered anyway.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

What I think will be interesting to see is what public opinion in Scotland is like in 6 to 8 weeks time IF  the current trends we are seeing continue, and we have a disease at that point which remains in decline despite restrictions being eased (and boundaries pushed) is infecting hardly anyone each day, is hospitalising relatively low numbers and killing pretty much no one.

If the picture looks like that will people still support the restrictions imposed upon them?

If the answer under those conditions is yes then we can forget about ever moving on IMO.

The infection and death rate is dropping and that's with a lot  people not heeding government advice for weeks and months.   Despite this it's still only affecting a small fraction of the population, the majority of whom would probably have been taken out by their next bad cold anyway.  

Scottish Government have released guidance for childminders who have been told that they can accommodate 8 children from 4 families indoors and no requirement s for social distancing.  Think of this the next time Nicola tells you that you canna take a piss in your mates toilet.

Quite obviously the 5 family interaction in these cases is all about the ability to allow parents to get back working and nothing to do with public health.

2 minutes ago, strichener said:

Scottish Government have released guidance for childminders who have been told that they can accommodate 8 children from 4 families indoors and no requirement s for social distancing.  Think of this the next time Nicola tells you that you canna take a piss in your mates toilet.

Quite obviously the 5 family interaction in these cases is all about the ability to allow parents to get back working and nothing to do with public health.

I hope nippy is feeling as charitable when it comes to the bars and restaurants opening again.

*stifles yawn*

15 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

The infection and death rate is dropping and that's with a lot  people not heeding government advice for weeks and months.   Despite this it's still only affecting a small fraction of the population, the majority of whom would probably have been taken out by their next bad cold anyway.  

I think it's quite clear the virus poses much less of a threat than it did during March and April. I'm also well aware that, unlike NS, I can afford to say that and ultimately be wrong about it without leading to a disaster.

With that said though, in about 6 weeks time, the way things are going, it's going to be very hard to justify keeping a load of restrictions in place for Covid-19 that we wouldn't dream of accepting for any other infection with similar numbers.

Edited by Todd_is_God

7 minutes ago, strichener said:

Scottish Government have released guidance for childminders who have been told that they can accommodate 8 children from 4 families indoors and no requirements for social distancing. 

Source?

10 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

I hope nippy is feeling as charitable when it comes to the bars and restaurants opening again.

No chance. They have made their decisions on these and they will be non negotiable regardless of whether there are zero cases in Scotland or not.

Simply put they have asked businesses, particularly big chains, to make too many investments in changes to the way they will operate to be "Covid-19 safe" to then not require them to be in place for any length of time.

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think it's quite clear the virus poses much less of a threat than it did during March and April. I'm also well aware that, unlike NS, I can afford to say that and untimately be wrong about it without leading to a disaster.

With that said though, in about 6 weeks time, the way things are going, it's going to be very hard to justify keeping a load of restrictions in place for Covid-19 that we wouldn't dream of accepting for any other infection with similar numbers.

Whilst I don't disagree with you, there will probably still be significant public support for continued measures given the scale of the deaths and we have been reading about day in, day out.  This is purely anecdotal (and therefore potentially not accurate at all, I'll concede), but based on what I've seen on various social-media  platforms there are still a lot of curtain-twitchers, knicker-wetters (and those more reasonable folk who have been influenced of several months of heavily negative headlines) who have been calling for stricter lockdown measures and penalties for those who were out this weekend.  

If there is a significant change in infection and death rates that would leave to a strong turnaround in public opinion then we may see a shift in policy from the SG but I would doubt it.  They've been consistent throughout this whole pandemic in their desire to be as cautious as possible (and to be fair, that's why NS is perceived to have done relatively well). Whether or not that would continue if there sufficient public demand for an end to measures is another issue.   

24 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Whilst I don't disagree with you, there will probably still be significant public support for continued measures given the scale of the deaths and we have been reading about day in, day out.  This is purely anecdotal (and therefore potentially not accurate at all, I'll concede), but based on what I've seen on various social-media  platforms there are still a lot of curtain-twitchers, knicker-wetters (and those more reasonable folk who have been influenced of several months of heavily negative headlines) who have been calling for stricter lockdown measures and penalties for those who were out this weekend.  

If there is a significant change in infection and death rates that would leave to a strong turnaround in public opinion then we may see a shift in policy from the SG but I would doubt it.  They've been consistent throughout this whole pandemic in their desire to be as cautious as possible (and to be fair, that's why NS is perceived to have done relatively well). Whether or not that would continue if there sufficient public demand for an end to measures is another issue.   

I agree with you. However a significant change in rates now is unlikely - take the 40 historic positives off of today's figures and we would be looking at a 7 day average of 35. That is a small number and, following the 20% model (which im sure is now an overstatement) would result in less than 1 of those people, on average, going on to die.

7 day average deaths are sitting at 12. Again a very small number, both in absolute terms, and in terms of percentage of expected all causes deaths. It will be interesting to see how close we are now to having zero excess deaths per week, which of course will be revealed tomorrow. Also worth remembering that the average time from infection to death is 18 days, so it's a snapshot of past infections.

There is a very real chance we will have at least one zero new infections day this month. When infections do start to hit zero per day, even with restrictions being loosened, calls will surely start being made to increase the pace of getting back to normal.

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I agree with you. However a significant change in rates now is unlikely - take the 40 historic positives off of today's figures and we would be looking at a 7 day average of 35. That is a small number and, following the 20% model (which im sure is now an overstatement) would result in less than 1 of those people, on average, going on to die.

7 day average deaths are sitting at 12. Again a very small number, both in absolute terms, and in terms of percentage of expected all causes deaths. It will be interesting to see how close we are now to having zero excess deaths per week, which of course will be revealed tomorrow. Also worth remembering that the average time from infection to death is 18 days, so it's a snapshot of past infections.

There is a very real chance we will have at least one zero new infections day this month. When infections do start to hit zero per day, even with restrictions being loosened, calls will surely start being made to increase the pace of getting back to normal.

Sturgeon is cautious but the public will tell her when it's right to ease things, it's only the scared and most vulnerable that will suck up restrictions that aren't needed. 

A report on the report from the bbc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52889106

Public Health England has released its report looking at why people from ethnic minority backgrounds are "disproportionately" dying with coronavirus.

It shows age remains the biggest risk factor. Being male is another.

But if you strip out age and sex, people of Bangladeshi ethnicity have twice the risk of death than people of white British ethnicity.

The risk is higher for other Asian, Caribbean and black ethnicities too.

But it remains unclear why

More in the kink.

Acknowledging that they won't get every decision right was a sensible move from Sturgeon. Opinion polling here and in other countries seem to show a willingness for people to give their Government some leeway at a time of crisis. I don't think she's performed well from from a policy perspective but she has communicated in a way that has maximised public trust.

You can't say the same for the UK Government. It has been delusional shite from day one about Britain's 'word leading' response. Even before the Cummings thing, it seems like penny was starting to drop that the only thing Britain is leading on is making a total c**t of it.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Since the 1980s when Labour and the SNP pivoted to a pro-EU standpoint there hasn't really been any consistent Euruscepticism in Scottish politics, practically every elected representative in Scotland sinxe then has been pro-EU, the Leave campaign in Scotland was perfunctory yet they got a million votes.  It makes me wonder if there's some untapped movement out there that no-one thinks about, could something happen to blow away the assumptions and comfortable agreement we have about Scottish society and politics?  Probably not tbh but it does make me think.

EU political debate in Scotland strikes me as being almost an entirely contrarian, proxy argument around Independence. I know there are a decent number of Yes/Leave voters (probably from the pre-SNP and Labour pivot generation who grew up thinking this way) but if you see someone talking passionately about the EU here, you don't usually have to look far for some strong views either way on the Union.

If wee Nippy campaigned for Scotland to remain a part of the earth's gravitational pull, there are probably a million people who would against it.

I think this probably does a lot in the favour of the SNP but speaking about the parliament more generally I think it's always been viewed more positively than Westminster since its inception.

The teaching in Mods generally portrays Holyrood in a better light as well focusing on the accessible working hours and technology that makes it less archaic. I always find it funny that kamikaze unionists don’t get mad that the Mods and History curriculums generally, in my experience anyway, have a softer view of Scottish politics and history than they do of their British equivalent.

20 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

EU political debate in Scotland strikes me as being almost an entirely contrarian, proxy argument around Independence. I know there are a decent number of Yes/Leave voters (probably from the pre-SNP and Labour pivot generation who grew up thinking this way) but if you see someone talking passionately about the EU here, you don't usually have to look far for some strong views either way on the Union.

I'm not so sure that's true.  The No-Remain vote is certainly larger than the Yes-Leave.  Most Leavers in Scotland are probably Conservatives but I think most Scottish Conservatives were probably Remainers.  Ruth Davidson took a leading role in the Remain campaign, I think she was part of the Remain side of one of the televised debates, against Boris Johnson.  

I wasn't really speaking about the EU referendum specifically, I was using it as an example that political change can fly under the radar.  Scotland is a country whose entire politics for the three decades leading up to the EU referendum was pro-EU, including every single major party, almost every single elected representatives from those parties and the vast majority of the media and commentators.  The Scots For Leave campaign was tiny yet a million people went the other way.   While everyone waits for independence, what unforseen events will happen?