Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest JTS98
1 hour ago, virginton said:

If an Ebola carrier reached an Italian ski resort at peak season and it then got sprayed halfway around Europe via plane then the death toll would be much higher.

No. It wouldn't.

An infectious ebola carrier would be much more visible and identifiable. There wouldn't be any infectious asymptomatic ebola carriers making loads of people unknowingly sick.

An infectious ebola carrier would be unable to ski and would be locked away in their chalet. They certainly wouldn't be out on the bevvy in a crowded bar. Even if they were, it would still be quite hard to catch ebola from them, but that's beside the point.

And, since ebola has such a high death rate, it wouldn't get the chance to spread around the globe like this.

You're just shouty and wrong. As per.

Edited by JTS98

3 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

Sounds like the Westminster Government are starting to peddle back on the 14 day quarantine for new arrivals into the country.

I think it'll go ahead, possibly a little watered down ( air bridges to some countries). Probably binned entirely after three weeks.

It reeks of Brexiteers living out their fantasy of the UK borders being shut

46 minutes ago, virginton said:

Well no, most rational people in fact understand that 'underlying health conditions' and 'elderly coffin dodgers' are in fact two distinct yet significantly overlapping categories in the Coronavirus Risk Venn diagram. Whereas if you fall into neither category then the risk to your health is low enough to be rightly considered negligible. 

Those straightforward facts are supported by all the available case studies and evidence, as opposed of course to the cherry-picked anecdotes beloved by the media.

He didn't say 'elderly' and rationality is in short supply in the general population, imo.  That's why we have brexit and a Tory government. Looking across the Atlantic,  we have another place where irrationality rules.  

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Really good article about Scotland's coronavirus experience, this is why I like the FT.

https://www.ft.com/content/a3fe315f-610a-4086-a6bc-a466a7f33aa1

Hmm. I read that. I thought there was a bit of 'damning with faint praise' about that article. Still, agree that it's a better 'paper' than the Telegraph, f'rinstance. Not difficult of course.

9 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

No. It wouldn't.

An infectious ebola carrier would be much more visible and identifiable. There wouldn't be any infectious asymptomatic ebola carriers making loads of people unknowingly sick.

An infectious ebola carrier would be unable to ski and would be locked away in their chalet. They certainly wouldn't be out on the bevvy in a crowded bar. Even if they were, it would still be quite hard to catch ebola from them, but that's beside the point.

And, since ebola has such a high death rate, it wouldn't get the chance to spread around the globe like this.

You're just shouty and wrong. As per.

I think Bill Gates spoke about this in that Ted talk that was being widely shared at the start of this.

He said Ebola would have been much, much worse if it weren't for the fact that when you were contagious, you'd already be flattened by the illness. And that we should be fearful of a virus that you could carry contagiously for a long period without any symptoms. We're probably just fortunate that Covid isn't that lethal.

Guest JTS98
11 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Whit? Swap Covid for Ebola? Are you fucking crazy? 

No. It's perfectly sane.

Do some reading.

21 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I got paywalled when I clicked on your link but when I clicked on one from Twitter it worked.

It's a good article, there have obviously been some areas where Sturgeon has done better than the UK Government - she has been clearer in her communications, for example.  What is true is that the actual policy has been the same, the big failures are the same - poor provision of PPE, lack of attention to care homes, testing capacity, not acting quickly enough.

One thing that's interesting, and it doesn't just apply to this crisis, is that there's a kind of 'Tartan halo' around the Scottish Parliament, a lot of people see whatever comes out of there as better than anything from WEstminster.  This isn't specific to the SNP, there were similar results from the previous Labour-LibDem executives.  Another big factor is that there is no real opposition to the SNP, none of the opposition parties are credible as an alternative government and criticism from them just isn't taken seriously.  Perhaps this could change if Nicola Sturgeon was to step down because I think there is a significant drop off in capability in the current SNP adminstration from her but even then I don't think that's going to propel Jackspn Carlaw into Bute House.

Carlaw is badly out of his depth. There are many things to criticise the Scottish Government for but his tone and mannerisms have been far too aggressive. Maybe that's just how he is, but it's reflecting badly on him and looks opportunist. Never a way to win friends. 

Starner by contrast has done a much better job - far less aggressive in approach but has simply put the PM under pressure by asking him detailed questions and put him in an area where he is uncomfortable. Some would like him to be more aggressive, but that would again run into looking opportunistic and might backfire. 

Both Governments were popular a month ago and now only one is. I think the opposition's respective approaches has had a big impact on that - people who are opponents of the government were happy to give them a fair chance, and opportunism to score points was frowned upon; difficult circumstances and all that. Going for the PM/FM was not widely appreciated.

Johnson has of course set fire to everything around him to save Cummings, but even before that the criticism was mounting up. Sturgeon had a similar situation with Calderwood, initially backing her although was likely helped by her resignation when it transpired she had lied by omission of detail. That said, I think Sturgeon would've reluctantly fired her if she hadn't resigned, due to the second incident. That Johnson did not fire Cummings outed him as weak and will haunt him for the rest of his term. 

I largely agree with you on the SG halo effect though. A lot of things have gone wrong that the UK Govt is being hounded for (care homes, testing numbers) but seems nowhere near as damaging in Scotland. Overall I think bad opposition is the main driver to this. Support in the polls for both parties remains high even if the Conservatives have slipped recently so I don't think that really explains it. 

Guest JTS98
10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think Bill Gates spoke about this in that Ted talk that was being widely shared at the start of this.

He said Ebola would have been much, much worse if it weren't for the fact that when you were contagious, you'd already be flattened by the illness. And that we should be fearful of a virus that you could carry contagiously for a long period without any symptoms. We're probably just fortunate that Covid isn't that lethal.

Aye. I think a few people are misunderstanding the point here.

Ebola is horrific, and I'd much rather catch covid-19 than ebola. But if you have ebola, you're much less likely to give it to me than you are to give me the covid.

From a public health point of view, that means an ebola outbreak is preferable.

Think some of the biggest factors in the spread of ebola in some areas was the insistence on following traditional burial processes and the lack of information or distrust in the foreign medical staff like MSF in some regions.

18 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm sure that's a comfort for some.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Wee Willie said:

I'm sure that's a comfort for some.

It depends how you look at it.

It's great news if you catch covid. It's shite news if you're trying to run an economy.

4 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

It depends how you look at it.

It's great news if you catch covid. It's shite news if you're trying to run an economy.

I.m 77 and have been diagnosed with diabetes since 2008.

I take three types of pills daily and the advice I got from Diabetes Scotland was to stop taking the pills if I get Covid-19.

I dunno what your definition of 'great news' is but I dinnae think it's the same as mine.

14 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Aye. I think a few people are misunderstanding the point here.

Ebola is horrific, and I'd much rather catch covid-19 than ebola. But if you have ebola, you're much less likely to give it to me than you are to give me the covid.

From a public health point of view, that means an ebola outbreak is preferable.

This graph compares covid with other virus including Ebola in terms of deadliness/contagiousness. It’s almost as much of a c**t as possible with the amount of carriers displaying no symptoms yet it being pretty darn contagious and nasty enough to hospitalise 20% of those infected. 

91298DBE-E224-4160-BC03-BEF0960E83DF.png

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

I.m 77 and have been diagnosed with diabetes since 2008.

I take three types of pills daily and the advice I got from Diabetes Scotland was to stop taking the pills if I get Covid-19.

I dunno what your definition of 'great news' is but I dinnae think it's the same as mine.

If you look back through the conversation I was referring to whether an outbreak of covid is preferable to an outbreak of ebola.

Your situation is extremely unfortunate and I'm sorry about that, but what I said remains true.

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, throbber said:

This graph compares covid with other virus including Ebola in terms of deadliness/contagiousness. It’s almost as much of a c**t as possible with the amount of carriers displaying no symptoms yet it being pretty darn contagious and nasty enough to hospitalise 20% of those infected. 

91298DBE-E224-4160-BC03-BEF0960E83DF.png

Yes, that's all true.

But the key thing is that asymptomatic ebola carriers don't seem to spread ebola. There's no evidence of that.

An asymptomatic ebola carrier is not a health risk. That's the key thing.

If we work in the same office and I'm an asymptomatic ebola carrier, you're going to be fine. Once I get become infectious, I'll be unable to come to work. That's the key thing here.

Nobody is saying ebola isn't shite.