Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
Deaths +1
Infections +18
7 day averages now 13 & 38 respectively.
NS threatening people with re-introducing lockdown measures on the back of those figures is a tone I don't like tbh. Reeks of being raging that the current restrictions might be shown to be unnecessarilly tight.

I think NS has performed well and enjoyed pretty high compliance. I hope that continues.

I agree. But I'm finding her tone today needlessly condescending.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Maybe. Maybe not.

There is absolutely no need for her to speak like people are naughty children.

You can understand her caution if cases start to shoot back up because people were desperate to get out of Glasgow to go to Loch Lomond (for example).

We get one shot at coming out of this right. And there is a ticking clock with the Furlough scheme. England is coming out come hell or high waters, so we need to be in a place where further lockdown is unnecessary come August.

Edited by renton

Just now, renton said:

You can understand her caution if cases start to shoot back up because people were desperate to get out of Glasgow to go to Loch Lomond (for example).

Caution yes. But this today is ridiculous

You can understand her caution if cases start to shoot back up because people were desperate to get out of Glasgow to go to Loch Lomond (for example).
We get one shot at coming out of this right. And there is a ticking clock with the Furlough scheme. England is coming out come hell or high waters, so we need to be in a place where further lockdown is necessary come August.
Continued lockdown without furlough is surely a total no go? We cant absorb the bedlam that would come with that.

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

The "Weird Professor" tweeted this this morning didn't he?

I see for missing out his input, you got an entirely different reaction on P&B than had you left Prof Sikora's name on it.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
5 minutes ago, renton said:
We get one shot at coming out of this right. And there is a ticking clock with the Furlough scheme. England is coming out come hell or high waters, so we need to be in a place where further lockdown is necessary come August.

Continued lockdown without furlough is surely a total no go? We cant absorb the bedlam that would come with that.

Sorry, that should have read not necessary. 

Yes, lockdown is not an option after Sunak cans Furlough. And the changes in August are designed to try and wean everyone off of it, even though it will exist in cut down form until October.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Caution yes. But this today is ridiculous

She said she'd be blunt. No problem with that, I can take a good guess at how many of those 797 dispersals involved folk who take their lead from "Boris, no that wee nippy and her pretend parliament" ....

7 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I see for missing out his input, you got an entirely different reaction on P&B than had you left Prof Sikora's name on it.

I see he did but that's not where I saw it.

Similarish story in Spain

https://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/20200526/481405383164/coronavirus-cataluna-datos-hospitales-ingresos-evolucion-desescalada.html?facet=amp

Yes, lockdown is not an option after Sunak cans Furlough. And the changes in August are designed to try and wean everyone off of it, even though it will exist in cut down form until October.
Yeah I assumed that's what you meant. I was just meaning that although the ideal scenario is we are ready to ease most if not all restrictions on workplaces etc, the sad reality is we wont have an option.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
11 minutes ago, renton said:

Yeah I assumed that's what you meant. I was just meaning that although the ideal scenario is we are ready to ease most if not all restrictions on workplaces etc, the sad reality is we wont have an option.

Exactly right. We need the next few weeks to go well, as we wont get a second go at it, unless England decides on another lockdown, and they won't. The UK government might try and add some social distancing measures in time, but they are coming out of lockdown and I dong think a second wave would stop them.

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Deaths +1

Infections +18

7 day averages now 13 & 38 respectively.

NS threatening people with re-introducing lockdown measures on the back of those figures is a tone I don't like tbh. Reeks of being raging that the current restrictions might be shown to be unnecessarilly tight.

I've not heard today's briefing just read the headline comments so it is hard, if not impossible, to pick up on tone but I don't get the sense of threatening. Rather she is reiterating much of what she said last Thursday which apparently was ignored by a not insignificant number of people at the weekend (70% increase in transport). 

It was inevitable that there would be a level of non-compliance and that's before you factor in the excellent weather and I'm sure that was factored into their thinking on moving to Phase One. 

The fact that we have seen some restrictions relaxed and the fact that we are seeing the death and infection rates decline has perhaps made people think that we are over the worst. 

And maybe we are. Hopefully we are. 

Lets not forget though that the move to Phase One isn't much more than an acknowledgement that the NHS can cope with the virus levels. Not that the danger has passed. 

If people believe the latter then there is a danger that we go backwards and there is a need to emphasise precisely, and forcibly, what the current regulations are. I think that is what the FM is doing and she is correct to do so

Maybe it is too cautious. Too strict if you prefer but I'd rather that than simply allow things to continue as they did at the weekend and for the Scottish Government to cross their fingers and hope all will be okay. 

We need to exercise at least some degree of personal responsibility now and, IMO, the Scottish Government has a responsibility to  take a lead in that regard. 

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I saw it last night. Actually from someone in reply to a Prof Sikora tweet, which he subsequently tweeted himself this morning. I found the positivty toward your post amusing, given how P&B have decided that anything he says is ballocks.

Hopefully it's a good positive sign of things to come (tbf Prof Sikora had been saying this for a while)

15 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I saw it last night. Actually from someone in reply to a Prof Sikora tweet, which he subsequently tweeted himself this morning. I found the positivty toward your post amusing, given how P&B have decided that anything he says is ballocks.

Hopefully it's a good positive sign of things to come (tbf Prof Sikora had been saying this for a while)

Wits called sourcing, it's impossible to take Karol Sikora seriously because he is a known fraud and lunatic, I would double check anything he says. Reuter's on the other hand is a legitimate source, so it's ok to take them seriously.

HTH

Here’s your pal in late March, as we were at about 600 deaths per day.

Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism but there is something seriously wrong with posting nonsense solely to be optimistic.

Interesting change in language on the news on BBC radio this morning, early morning reports were of "millions of children" returning to school, by late morning it has changed to "hundreds of thousands of children".

Given that it is only selected years I would hazard a guess that the "millions" was wrong anyway, but I wonder if the change reflects the amount of kids who have actually turned up, with reports that plenty of parents are keeping their kids at home.

BBC headline online says ‘some’ families keep their children off. When you actually go into the story it says it may be as many as half that haven’t sent the children in.
I consider 50% as slightly more than ‘some’!

53 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Yes, it's astonishing that a Reuters article might be taken more seriously than a discredited Comical Ali type professor.

you reckon? My recollection of March is blue tick twitter was awash with condemnation of people questioning herd immunity. They're all perfectly capable of writing 2000 words in support of policy A then the next day writing 2000 words condemning policy A and extolling the virtues of policy B without it having the slightest effect on their careers.

Hipster analysis was the buzzword of some blue ticks.

BBC headline online says ‘some’ families keep their children off. When you actually go into the story it says it may be as many as half that haven’t sent the children in.
I consider 50% as slightly more than ‘some’!
Nottingham City have basically told the government to do one, primary schools are still only open for essential workers children.