Coronavirus (COVID-19)

A mixed message from NS on STV news there. She said to travel 5 mile max for leisure, but she could travel from Glasgow to Ayrshire to visit her parents. What’s the difference between travelling 30 miles for food shopping and a walk, that travelling 30 miles to sit in your families garden and then nipping to Asda for a pee?

Edited by Thereisalight..

14 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

How dare you! He's in a one man battle to fight the elites from the lowly background of a family with only 3 or more houses on his family estate and an Uncle, a High Court and Appeal Court judge, visiting professor at Cambridge, who only died last month. To bring his wife's family into this is frankly tawdry, poor girl struggled finding her way around Chillingham Castle in her youth.

Edited by welshbairn

13 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

A mixed message from NS on STV news there. She said to travel 5 mile max for leisure, but she could travel from Glasgow to Ayrshire to visit her parents. What’s the difference between travelling 30 miles for food shopping and a walk, that travelling 30 miles to sit in your families garden and then nipping to Asda for a pee?

I think the idea is that, for the likes of me, driving to Strathclyde Park to walk round it is reasonable, whereas driving to Rowardennan to do the same is not in the spirit of phase 1 of the easing.

It makes sense from a perspective to try and contain any localised outbreaks.

NS is asking us to behave like responsible adults, make use of the easing of restrictions wisely and, above all, apply common sense. Something we have been asking for for some time.

Edited by Todd_is_God

St Andrew's links have been very specific re opening tomorrow. Members only and in red only expecting members from within 5 miles.

28 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think the idea is that, for the likes of me, driving to Strathclyde Park to walk round it is reasonable, whereas driving to Rowardennan to do the same is not in the spirit of phase 1 of the easing.

NS is asking us to behave like responsible adults, make use of the easing of restrictions wisely and, above all, apply common sense. Something we have been asking for for some time.

I’m just a bit disappointed as I’d planned to go to a town 30 miles away tomorrow for a big food shop and a wander around the beach. I didn’t know about the 5 mile rule until today, I stupidly thought local travel was allowed (as in 30 miles max)

Edited by Thereisalight..

18 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It's about need versus risk, and trying to keep the infection rate down. It's really not that difficult. You'll get it eventually.

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

My house is 7.5 miles from my golf course. I better cancel my tee time and stay home.

Aye, right ye’ are.

Correct. Nobody's going to fine you if you're not taking the pish, like checking your eyesight.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

Correct. Nobody's going to fine you if you're not taking the pish, like checking your eyesight.

I was going to drive up to Gleneagles and back to check if my eyesight was ok to drive to my golf club - are you suggesting that's a bad idea?

There is no five mile rule. It will not be enforced. It’s simply asking you not to f**k off 100 miles for a day out, where your risk of a) needing to use a public toilet is far higher and b) breaking down or crashing the car becomes far more likely.

It’s a guidance that won’t be enforced. ‘Don’t take the piss’ would be the slogan if they’d get away with it.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

I was going to drive up to Gleneagles and back to check if my eyesight was ok to drive to my golf club - are you suggesting that's a bad idea?

Terrible idea. What’s wrong with Durham?

15 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's about need versus risk, and trying to keep the infection rate down. It's really not that difficult. You'll get it eventually.

In what way will 'risk' and the infection rate be reduced by telling the huge number of people living in greater Glasgow for example that they should only visit to the city's parks and no spaces beyond that limit right before the nicest weekend of the year? Ditto Edinburgh and the likes of Portobello beach. 

If Scotland was a country in which the population was equally distributed across its land mass then an arbitrary five mile restriction would make sense. But that couldn't be further from the truth and so this recommendation is the height of folly.

3 minutes ago, Paco said:

There is no five mile rule. It will not be enforced. It’s simply asking you not to f**k off 100 miles for a day out, where your risk of a) needing to use a public toilet is far higher and b) breaking down or crashing the car becomes far more likely.

It’s a guidance that won’t be enforced. ‘Don’t take the piss’ would be the slogan if they’d get away with it.

‘Don’t take the piss’ gets my vote. I’d love to drive down the motorway and see the CITRAC overhead ‘Stay home, save lives’ messages replaced with ‘C’mon Scotland, don’t take the piss’ - can we make this happen?

Every time new guidance comes out there are two reactions that do my head in.

1. I live 5.6 miles from my golf course so what am I supposed to do?

2. Everyone else apart from me will take the pish so what's the point?

Golf clubs could enforce it if they wish. As I say St Andrew's have advised against booking tee times if you are from out with the town.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, folk are just trying to pick holes with the advice for the sake of it. Don't be a dick about things, you know how the virus spreads so avoid doing those things and enjoy yourself sensibly. It's not difficult.

Come on, our new slogan is ‘don’t take the piss’... mind you, I also like your idea ‘don’t be a dick about things’. Way, way better than ‘Stay alert’.

7 minutes ago, Paco said:

Or they could just state a much more credible limit of say 50 miles and actually enforce that. For a government that claimed that it wants to have an 'adult conversation' about restrictions these attempts at rune reading their actual fucking public health advice within ours of publication is really not that at all.

The apparent anathema on public toilet use will delight those with Crohn's and other diseases btw. 

Edited by vikingTON