Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest JTS98

Oooooft.

Malaysia's mini-spike nipped in the bud after two days?

Fifteen (15) new cases reported today. It was 187 yesterday and one hundred and seventy something the day before that.

What's going on?

Somebody get me a beer.

16 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

On the work from home/go to the office thing - all the anecdotal evidence I'm hearing is that yer actual workers are not only happier working from home, but at least equally, if not more productive than they were working in their traditional workplace. Surely this is an opportunity for businesses to modernise their practises? Everyone's a winner here (well, almost, but I'll get to that)

Employer: staff more productive, likely reduction in sick absence, no need to pay high rent/rates utilities on large premises.

Heard today that commercial property investment funds have gone down the pan and some fund managers have frozen them. Lots of positives as you say from more people working from home, but not sure about the long term consequences on mental health from social interaction being restricted to the digital. Also we lose a fair bit of communication from only voice and maybe a face on a screen, it's more difficult to tell if someone's worried about an aspect of what you're dealing with but is wary of saying anything, or if someone is taking the pish and looking to screw you.

9 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Wether it's said or not, the main sticking point to offering WFH is that employers don't trust employees to actually get the work done at home. It you've hired a team full of people who can't be trusted to do any work then you're an idiot who's completely failed at your own job.

Absolutely agree. Weaselly wee people who tread the well-worn path to promotion of pointing out others' faults while deflecting their own are the issue here. Coincidentally, tend to end up in those superfluous positions I mentioned earlier. Another easy win if handled correctly.

14 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Wether it's said or not, the main sticking point to offering WFH is that employers don't trust employees to actually get the work done at home. It you've hired a team full of people who can't be trusted to do any work then you're an idiot who's completely failed at your own job.

I totally trust my team to WFH and get the work done but the main sticking point is that not everyone is set up for it properly.

We have staff who live out of the city who have broadband that is slow and unreliable, the VPN/Remote desktop can’t take the number of users at the moment and is again, really slow but necessary to access secure systems and file storage. We’ve probably found that we are doing about 30% less and it’s not at all to do with lack of effort from the staff but simply that everything is slower.

WFH is brilliant and we’ll def do more of it but we aren’t at the point yet where everyone can just do it all the time. I’m also skeptical at how much the running costs (electricity, heating, broadband etc) will be passed on to staff in that their bills will go up but I doubt the wages will.

Its also the case that a lot of people simply don’t want to. Most of my team would like the odd WFH here and there but actually have all said they are looking forward to coming back.

Edited by Jambomo

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Heard today that commercial property investment funds have gone down the pan and some fund managers have frozen them. Lots of positives as you say from more people working from home, but not sure about the long term consequences on mental health from social interaction being restricted to the digital. Also we lose a fair bit of communication from only voice and maybe a face on a screen, it's more difficult to tell if someone's worried about an aspect of what you're dealing with but is wary of saying anything, or if someone is taking the pish and looking to screw you.

One of the benefits will be the increased leisure time gained by zero commute. It is time - and past time - that we stopped looking at ourselves as simply workers. That is absolutely a Tory view - if you are not working, you are of no use. If I was to go back to my previous nick now, I would immediately gain ten hours a week. That is a fair chunk of time to use as I want - yes, use, and yes, my choice.

Some poor drone commuting from Killie to Glasgow must spend at least half-a-dozen hours getting to and from work each week - probably appreciably more. Just imagine the difference getting that time back could make!

11 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I totally trust my team to WFH and get the work done but the main sticking point is that not everyone is set up for it properly.

We have staff who live out of the city who have broadband that is slow and unreliable, the VPN/Remote desktop can’t take the number of users at the moment and is again, really slow but necessary to access secure systems and file storage. We’ve probably found that we are doing about 30% less and it’s not at all to do with lack of effort from the staff but simply that everything is slower.

WFH is brilliant and we’ll def do more of it but we aren’t at the point yet where everyone can just do it all the time. I’m also skeptical at how much the running costs (electricity, heating, broadband etc) will be passed on to staff in that their bills will go up but I doubt the wages will.

Its also the case that a lot of people simply don’t want to. Most of my team would like the odd WFH here and there but actually have all said they are looking forward to coming back.

I should have said, "where possible" to be fair. It is of course, totally dependent on whether the work can be done remotely. 

I'm not envisaging millions of people being completely remote. being in the office and meeting face to face has it's advantages. i wouldn't choose 5 days WFH if i had the choice. Flexibility's going to be the key.

Edited by Gordon EF

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I do wonder what the longer term affects of a move away from office working will be.  I work in Livingston and occasionally go for a lunchtime walk around the industrial/business estate where I'm based and there are loads of completely abandoned sites that were put in years ago but have clearly proved unsustainable.  If, say, 30% of people who currently work in offices move to work at home and firms reduce their office holdings that leaves a lotof unused office space.  A lot of buildings and sites lying empty.

What will do with all these empty places?  Maybe something counter intuitive will happen and we'll see an increase in domestic manufacturing or something like that.

4 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Some poor drone commuting from Killie to Glasgow must spend at least half-a-dozen hours getting to and from work each week - probably appreciably more. Just imagine the difference getting that time back could make!

Quite a few must appreciate the "me time" of listening to the radio instead of screaming partner and kids at home and bickering colleagues at work. 

8 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

One of the benefits will be the increased leisure time gained by zero commute. It is time - and past time - that we stopped looking at ourselves as simply workers. That is absolutely a Tory view - if you are not working, you are of no use. If I was to go back to my previous nick now, I would immediately gain ten hours a week. That is a fair chunk of time to use as I want - yes, use, and yes, my choice.

Should try cycling to work 😉 I very much enjoy my commute as long as it's not raining. Some mornings when wfh, I went for a cycle before starting even.

2 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Honestly couldn’t give a f**k if you find it dull mate. 

Do you give a f**k that your attitude towards cash is heavily disadvantageous to the poorest people in society?

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Quite a few must appreciate the "me time" of listening to the radio instead of screaming partner and kids at home and bickering colleagues at work. 

Oh, don't get me wrong, that is something which I do enjoy as well. I am noticing, mind, that with my travel bolted on at each end of the day, I'm not getting as much leisure time midweek due to being later home and going to bed earlier due to early starts. It's only for a couple of years, though, so I'll cope.

Im saving 3hr+ a day travelling to and from Edinburgh, we usually do a car share so its one drive a week but thats out the window for the forseeable future. Likely to be 2 in a car at a time at most I think until things are close to back to normal :(

WFH is ok , its saving me a shit ton of money from petrol and misc crap id buy in the office but its torture on the mind and you do start to feel a bit isolated at times if you are by yourself. We will never be back to the hours we did in the office and I dont think many office will be TBH. I do miss listening to the radio in the car winding down on the way home from work , its not quite the same turning the laptop off and moving into the living room to listen though.

Will be interesting to see what happens when people start to go back , public transport will be a massive PITA for most and lots wont be able to take the car due to lack of parking especially in city centre locations or out at the Gyle in Edinburgh.

All these Tory ministers spouting the "exceptional circumstances" defence for Cummings have been lying through their teeth.

After the guidelines were imposed in March to counteract the Covid-19 outbreak, a clause was subsequently added to provide protective measures for women and children stuck in domestic abuse households: the lockdown could be broken in these exceptional circumstances, where vulnerable people were in danger. Cummings, the chief strategist in the government that devised this rule, surely knew that safeguarding women and children from abuse and neglect was the intention.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/26/exceptional-circumstances-clause-domestic-abuse-victims-dominic-cummings-lockdown

12 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Should try cycling to work 😉 I very much enjoy my commute as long as it's not raining. Some mornings when wfh, I went for a cycle before starting even.

:lol:

Quite a drop in NRS figures last week. Down to 230 from 335.

No mention yet of the breakdown of where deaths occurred, however it is perhaps notable that the NRS deaths were less than 80 more than the figure announced daily.