Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't understand. I'm wrong to comment about new cases continuing to decrease all across Europe, even after lock downs are eased because you live in Spain which, apart from Madrid and Barcelona, have already eased some measures, however small, continued to see decreases, and are ready to ease more?

ETA Spain's Phase 1 easing is much more extensive than in the UK.

https://www.spainenglish.com/2020/05/25/lifting-lockdown-spain-full-details-phases/

Forgive me for seeing the same pattern absolutely everywhere and coming to the conclusion that nowhere has easing any lockdown restrictions resulted in an increase in cases, never mind a spike.

20200526_225427.jpg

Bellshill savant lectures Madrid resident on Spanish lockdown conditions Beautiful.

The problem with your point of view is, as stated by others, you are comparing apples with toasters. If the UK (or Scotland) had experienced the same level of lockdown as the countries you're looking at, the comparison might be valid. It didn't, so making this comparison gives an inaccurate picture. One might even say that by doing so, you are irresponsibly presenting a case for relaxation which, if followed, would cause further infection and, ultimately, more deaths. I won't, but I might.

My take on it is that maybe Todd is being overly optimistic - but there are certainly a few posters on here who (if you go by their posts) would prefer if there was a second spike - because it suits the political points they've been making.

It's the height of Internet argument stupidity - with folk resorting to the extremes.

Yes it is early days, and yes we need to be very vigilant, especially in this country at the moment. But the trends have definitely been positive. The promised second spike (which was sometimes predicted to be worse than the first spike) hasn't really emerged to any great extent.

The Malaysian case mentioned by jmdp is one we need to keep an eye on, and one of the weird advantages of fucking up early on allows us to learn other countries issues.

But the signs are relatively positive.

12 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The people who have no shame are those who are using bereaved families and their dreadful experiences to score political points against Cummings.

Any right to the moral high ground was lost at that point.

This is finished. He's staying in his job.

No doubt something else will happen soon for the faux outrage brigade to attach to.

Hypocrisy does love a cause.

What a fuss over nothing.

I couldn't disagree more.

I am not a man for faux outrage, and yes the media and opposition politicians are like vultures with this sort of thing, but beneath all the noise it is still a government treating the country with contempt.

It is not the act of driving to Durham itself, he took a poor decision in the face of very tough circumstances. Even if you take his story at face value, the refusal to admit wrongdoing or regret is spitting in people's faces. And you've got the PM and his entire cabinet sneering at people challenging all of this.

And that's before you even get to him trying to pass off this ludicrous story of driving 30 miles to test his eyesight.

I won't lose any sleep over it but Cummings and the government have been a disgrace over this.

16 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I think so too.

Personally, from recent developments and from the things I've read, I'm leaning more towards the idea that this is now just going to be in the population and we need to find a way to live with it. It may be that spikes and people getting sick is just the way things have to be in the coming years.

There's certainly an economic benefit in ending the covid cycle, and ultimately I think humans have shown that we can work out most things by applying political will and fuckloads of money to a problem. Getting to the moon, for example. I just expect it to take a while.

Given that even if we do get a vaccine it may be like other vaccines i.e. not necessarily able to combat the virus in all cases and not efficient in dealing with mutation etc. and so yes, the end result might be we add it to the list of things we have to live with and manage as best we can.  For sure, the economic impact and all that entails of lockdowns is not something we can expect to accept on a long-term basis.  It's perhaps more clear in countries such as where I am - the state/government simply doesn't have the means to support the population for a lengthy period of time so it really does mean we have to accept the risks of opening the economy because people will starve otherwise.   Now, we can get into a debate about how  true that really is and how corruption and  inefficient systems are the real problem but such things are not going away anytime soon and certainly not before people die of starvation or suicide. 

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

For sure, the economic impact and all that entails of lockdowns is not something we can expect to accept on a long-term basis.

Won't go on forever, no.

We've been over this before, but the whole thing is a global political failure as much as anything else.

I wonder about things like cinemas. It might seem such a quaint and unimaginable thing for 20-year olds in a couple of decades to hear that we used to sit in a room with 100 other people eating food with our hands and watching a film in a room full of strangers coughing and breathing etc.

Or maybe we'll just push through it. Lots of unknowns.

10 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Won't go on forever, no.

We've been over this before, but the whole thing is a global political failure as much as anything else.

I wonder about things like cinemas. It might seem such a quaint and unimaginable thing for 20-year olds in a couple of decades to hear that we used to sit in a room with 100 other people eating food with our hands and watching a film in a room full of strangers coughing and breathing etc.

Or maybe we'll just push through it. Lots of unknowns.

The problem may arise that we have evolved over a period of time to interact the way we do now  - how easily can we adapt to  something which will be alien?  

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

South Korea just seeing a massive rise in rate of new infections after easing lockdown.

I've mentioned it on here before, but I'd be wary of that comparison. South Korea never had what could be described as a lockdown.

6 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Massive relative increase. It's 40 cases ffs.

That's why he also favoured the weasel word 'rate' rather than 'number' of new cases. The forum curtain twitchers can't wait until they can pull out the 'exponential growth!!!!111!!!' graphs again that failed so badly to predict the actual outbreak first time round. 

Actively rooting for infections to increase so that the economy can be trashed indefinitely is an 'interesting' stance for them to take, but here we are.

Edited by vikingTON

53 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

My take on it is that maybe Todd is being overly optimistic - but there are certainly a few posters on here who (if you go by their posts) would prefer if there was a second spike - because it suits the political points they've been making.

It's the height of Internet argument stupidity - with folk resorting to the extremes.

Yes it is early days, and yes we need to be very vigilant, especially in this country at the moment. But the trends have definitely been positive. The promised second spike (which was sometimes predicted to be worse than the first spike) hasn't really emerged to any great extent.

The Malaysian case mentioned by jmdp is one we need to keep an eye on, and one of the weird advantages of fucking up early on allows us to learn other countries issues.

But the signs are relatively positive.

I must have missed these posts.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Agreed. Some excellent content.

Reveal hidden contents

43A7CD60-1D60-4E34-AE1A-4CBE561CEDFD.jpeg.eb3227b995fd11431e4a6a6e7814b989.jpeg

F8C00FFC-3C2A-44C0-864D-FB98E87F3B70.thumb.jpeg.522685fb89050f57357f4c828fc3af59.jpeg

Seconded, didn't know it was still on. 

Eurotrash122.jpg

(May have got mixed up with another Euro programme)

8 hours ago, JMDP said:

And you're obsessed with it, 14 mile. Mind when you claimed I didnt live there for months.

To be expected from a guy who threw shite at someone, assaulted a homeless person in front of his kid, took pics of teenagers secretly, sent PM's called "Fanny Posters" to start dotting people as it is important to you, invented someone called Tony, had fake conversations with this made up Tony and also made up "The Watcher".

You're a genuine danger and the creepiest person on here. 

Carry on.

Not someone you want getting the ST seat next to you right enough, but that's one hell of a claim right there!

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Somebody from Bellshill that supports Thorniewood United is definitely worth the watching

You'll not mind if I delegate that task to your good self? That's a level of weird I'm not ready for.