Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

You brought Spain in to this.

I've never once suggested a couple of days is enough.

But you have countries that are over a month in that show encouraging trends and, sticking with Spain, regions over 2 weeks in showing the same.

That's enough to comment on IMO.

You literally posted graphs showing a lockdown is working and posted graphs implying a couple of days is enough.

I don't want to derail this any further as you've ran this line for months with no evidence. 

1 minute ago, JMDP said:

You literally posted graphs showing a lockdown is working and posted graphs implying a couple of days is enough.

I don't want to derail this any further as you've ran this line for months with no evidence. 

😄

Either you're at it, or you've had one too many Mahous since being allowed out yesterday

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

😄

Either you're at it, or you've had one too many Mahous since being allowed out yesterday

You're too stupid to reason with. You literally posted a graph that shows lockdown has worked. You haven't shown anything to evidence lifting it does. 

Some folk on FB saying they're bored with the Cummings story and the treatment by the press is making them have sympathy for him.

Which is a bit like feeling sorry for Mussolini because the partisans were a bit rough with him.

44 minutes ago, JMDP said:

And you're obsessed with it, 14 mile. Mind when you claimed I didnt live there for months.

To be expected from a guy who threw shite at someone, assaulted a homeless person in front of his kid, took pics of teenagers secretly, sent PM's called "Fanny Posters" to start dotting people as it is important to you, invented someone called Tony, had fake conversations with this made up Tony and also made up "The Watcher".

You're a genuine danger and the creepiest person on here. 

Carry on.

I mentioned it a couple of times. Can’t for the life of me think why I’d have done that to such a mild tempered wee guy. 

1 hour ago, JMDP said:

You're a genuine danger and the creepiest person on here. 

Haud the fucking bus.  My big pal Miley certainly riles a fair few on here and has made some poor decisions in his P&B posting career but to describe him as, "the creepiest person on here." is simply imbecilic.  He isn't even the creepiest poster of the day.  That accolade belongs to the utterly brain-dead, "I despise all c***s but we have to be nice to each other" @DA Baracusand his thread of shame.

Guest JTS98
4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Let me make this easy for you.

Find an example of a country which has eased restrictions, and subsequently observed an increase in cases.

If my observation is invalid, that should be easy for you.

Malaysia eased restrictions just over two weeks ago after getting on top of the number of cases.

Until Monday Malaysia had reported fewer than 60 cases per day almost every day for about three weeks. The number got as low as 16 and 17 per day. Case numbers had been almost exclusively in double digits since April 15th.

Malaysia reported 187 new cases yesterday, having reported 172 cases the day before. This spike comes just over two weeks after easing.

We'll see what today brings, but the last couple of days are basically a trebling of the typical daily figures from the lockdown era.

Edited by JTS98

5 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Let me make this easy for you.

Find an example of a country which has eased restrictions, and subsequently observed an increase in cases.

If my observation is invalid, that should be easy for you.

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

Malaysia eased restrictions just over two weeks ago after getting on top of the number of cases.

Until Monday Malaysia had reported fewer than 60 cases per day almost every day for about three weeks. The number got as low as 16 and 17 per day. Case numbers had been almost exclusively in double digits since April 15th.

Malaysia reported 187 new cases yesterday, having reported 172 cases the day before. This spike comes just over two weeks after easing.

We'll see what today brings, but the last couple of days are basically a trebling of the typical daily figures from the lockdown era.

I assume Todd will now shut the f**k up.

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised at this.  

The issue is whether the increase is considered an acceptable price to pay for getting things moving again. 

Haud the fucking bus.  My big pal Miley certainly riles a fair few on here and has made some poor decisions in his P&B posting career but to describe him as, "the creepiest person on here." is simply imbecilic.  He isn't even the creepiest poster of the day.  That accolade belongs to the utterly brain-dead, "I despise all c***s but we have to be nice to each other" [mention=12228]DA Baracus[/mention]and his thread of shame.
f**k off you gammon, bigoted b*****d.

Guest JTS98
51 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised at this.  

The issue is whether the increase is considered an acceptable price to pay for getting things moving again. 

No disagreement there.

Just answering the post that had gone above.

I think the extent of the jump has unnerved a lot of people in Malaysia, but like I said, need to wait a few more days to see whether this is sustained, whether it gets worse, or whether it's just a blip.

Dunno.

9 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

The headline's funny - the article makes this quite the intricate wee story - less fantastical than Cummings', but not that straightforward. Still pretty funny, mind.

8 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

No disagreement there.

Just answering the post that had gone above.

I think the extent of the jump has unnerved a lot of people in Malaysia, but like I said, need to wait a few more days to see whether this is sustained, whether it gets worse, or whether it's just a blip.

Dunno.

Yep...I'll admit I was slightly taken aback at the magnitude of the jump more than the fact of it.  

Guest JTS98
10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yep...I'll admit I was slightly taken aback at the magnitude of the jump more than the fact of it.  

The context is hard to nail down.

It's certainly true that the outbreak seems to be in clear clusters, but then that's what the style of testing taking place is most likely to show us anyway.

For example, we knew weeks ago that the Malaysian authorities had been avoiding testing in 'immigration centres' and among foreign construction staff living on company-provided premises. Public pressure and economic considerations of companies not wanting to lose man hours led to greater testing in both of these contexts, which has provided a lot of new cases.

However, this has been joined with lots of anecdotal evidence that testing among the general population in hospitals etc has fallen by the wayside.

The Malaysian government had undeniably been among the world's top performers in the covid stakes until a couple of weeks ago. The next week to ten days will tell us how badly the recent changes have affected the country. It may well turn out to have been worth it.

Worst-case scenario is that they've pished away the benefits of what was a quite extensive and strict lockdown which was relatively well-observed and policed. But as of now we just can't say.

Edited by JTS98

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

The context is hard to nail down.

It's certainly true that the outbreak seems to be in clear clusters, but then that's what the style of testing taking place is most likely to show us anyway.

For example, we knew weeks ago that the Malaysian authorities had been avoiding testing in 'immigration centres' and among foreign construction staff living on company-provided premises. Public pressure and economic considerations of companies not wanting to lose man hours led to greater testing in both of these contexts, which has provided a lot of new cases.

However, this has been joined with lots of anecdotal evidence that testing among the general population in hospitals etc has fallen by the wayside.

The Malaysian government had undeniably been among the world's top performers in the covid stakes until a couple of weeks ago. The next week to ten days will tell us how badly the recent changes have affected the country. It may well turn out to have been worth it, we just can't say.

I suppose we may reflect back on all of this and see that it was indeed a marathon rather than a race.  

If it ever ends that is! 

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I suppose we may reflect back on all of this and see that it was indeed a marathon rather than a race.  

If it ever ends that is! 

I think so too.

Personally, from recent developments and from the things I've read, I'm leaning more towards the idea that this is now just going to be in the population and we need to find a way to live with it. It may be that spikes and people getting sick is just the way things have to be in the coming years.

There's certainly an economic benefit in ending the covid cycle, and ultimately I think humans have shown that we can work out most things by applying political will and fuckloads of money to a problem. Getting to the moon, for example. I just expect it to take a while.

9 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

The problem you have with this argument is that my point of view appears to fit quite well with the current trend across Europe.

If that suddenly changes i'm absolutely certain you will pop up again to remind me I was wrong.

If it doesn't, you'll say nothing.

The problem with your point of view is, as stated by others, you are comparing apples with toasters. If the UK (or Scotland) had experienced the same level of lockdown as the countries you're looking at, the comparison might be valid. It didn't, so making this comparison gives an inaccurate picture. One might even say that by doing so, you are irresponsibly presenting a case for relaxation which, if followed, would cause further infection and, ultimately, more deaths. I won't, but I might.