Coronavirus (COVID-19)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/26/inconsistencies-between-cummings-lockdown-story-and-his-wifes

Inconsistencies between Cummings’ lockdown story and his wife’s

On Monday, Dominic Cummings finally gave an account of his trip to Durham during lockdown – more than a month after his wife, Mary Wakefield, wrote about their experiences of lockdown for the Spectator magazine.

The two versions are not entirely consistent. An analysis of their stories, together with eyewitness accounts, throws up questions and peculiarities that are yet to be resolved.

Friday 27 March

By Cummings’ account, his wife fell ill during the day, prompting him to rush home from No 10 to take care of her. He then returned to the office, despite having spent time with someone he strongly suspected to have coronavirus. They drove to Durham that evening, and he developed symptoms himself overnight.

But in Wakefield’s article, she wrote: “That evening as I lay on the sofa, a happy thought occurred to me: if this was the virus, then my husband, who works 16-hour days as a rule, would have to come home.”

By her husband’s recollection, he had already been home. And why did Cummings return to the office after spending time with his symptomatic wife?

2/3 April

Wakefield wrote that “day six is a turning point”, when her husband was having such difficulty breathing that she feared he should be in hospital. Day six of her account would appear to be Thursday 2 April.

Yet according to Cummings, the following day he was well enough to drive to hospital to pick up their son, who had been taken ill the night before.

Sunday 12 April

In Wakefield’s account of the family’s time in quarantine, she described a range of unusual and varying symptoms that people with coronavirus may experience. She referred to her own headaches, others’ “numbness in their fingertips”, and Cummings’ “spasms”. No mention, though, of problems with her husband’s eyesight.

Yet this was the reason Cummings gave for taking a “test drive” to Barnard Castle, a town almost 30 miles away, before returning to London. He said he had taken his wife and son “for a short drive” on Easter Sunday – Wakefield’s birthday – “to see if I could drive safely”.

Why did the couple conclude that the best way to test his eyesight was to take a trip that would have involved using a busy A-road?

Cummings also said the family went to the “outskirts” of Barnard Castle. But the location where they were seen, next to the River Tees between Ullathorne Rise and Gill Lane, is on the far side of the town from the Cummings family property, and is close to a considerable number of homes.

Why did they end up here on a drive designed simply to test whether it was safe for him to take the wheel?

17 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

I knew I heard the moral high ground klaxon.

In any case, for someone who isn't a Tory, Cummings has a heck of a knack of working for/with them. Probably more a reflection of who he views as degenerate and able enough to further his own creepy ambitions.

He's also been very open about working with them in the past: 

Edited by Fratelli

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52800743
All we need to do now is roll it out further into all common public spaces and get the current, hopelessly impractical social distancing nonsense in the bin.
'Expected' is a load of shite! Should be compulsory and enforced with a truncheon to the face. Seriously, this is a no brainer

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

Maybe it's... in the public interest?

To ignore every positive story?

Given many people are scared about easing lockdown measures, I'd say it's just as much in the public interest to report (accurately) on what's happening in the countries who have already eased.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

The coverage of the Scottish government road to lifting lockdown has been pretty widely covered positively in my opinion.

I agree with that.

I meant coverage of the smaller European nations who have similar cases as us per day now. We shouldn't be scared about slowly easing based on what we see there.

1 minute ago, Fratelli said:

The Prof. Karol Sikora chat that there are dozens of positive stories not being reported is only a few steps away from 5G patter imo. 

It's conspiracy theory patter to point out that our main media outlets are not reporting on the fact cases are continuing to fall across Europe despite restrictions being eased?

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's conspiracy theory patter to point out that our main media outlets are not reporting on the fact cases are continuing to fall across Europe despite restrictions being eased?

You must have your head in the sand.

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Over the last couple of weeks i've read quite a few articles on the BBC news site about how rates in France, Spain and Italy have been dropping quite considerably. It's also been spoken about on ITV news when i've watched. Where else should it be reported?

Edited by Fratelli

Just now, Fratelli said:

Over the last couple of weeks i've read quite a few articles on the BBC news site about how rates in France, Spain and Italy have been dropping quite considerably. It's also been spoken about on ITV news. Where else should it be reported?

France, Spain and Italy weren't quite the countries I had in mind tbh, but fair enough.

I haven't really seen anything on twitter about the likes of Denmark, Austria, Poland, Germany etc.

Over the last couple of weeks i've read quite a few articles on the BBC news site about how rates in France, Spain and Italy have been dropping quite considerably. It's also been spoken about on ITV news when i've watched. Where else should it be reported?

Worth pointing out that these countries did lock down properly and thats the reason its safe to open up further. UK did a half arsed too late version and now crayon munchers are seeing these countries open and think its safe for us to do the same.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

You are a shining example of someone who has a point of view and just sees what they want to fit. Every post you've had on this subject reeks of it. 

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Is it that you want say, Austria's progress to be headline news in the UK? These things are covered but just not in a major way, you are always going to have to look for it.

I think countries which are further along the easing phase than us should be reported.

I can understand the BBC maybe not picking up on it as in terms of the UK case numbers are on a different scale, but the likes STV etc should as it's more relative to Scotland.

1 minute ago, JMDP said:

You are a shining example of someone who has a point of view and just sees what they want to fit. Every post you've had on this subject reeks of it. 

The problem you have with this argument is that my point of view appears to fit quite well with the current trend across Europe.

If that suddenly changes i'm absolutely certain you will pop up again to remind me I was wrong.

If it doesn't, you'll say nothing.