Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

This is why I posted about the van and TV outside his house. It does nothing. That's not comeuppance, comeuppance is him being punted. Stuff like that just furthers his cause and deepens the entrenchment of some Tory voters.

As if this is a new phenomenon with a newsworthy 'celeb' or other person of note. Sure, it doesn't look good but it's more than balance out by the fluff reporting the he and Boris has enjoyed for years. Given the death toll of more than 60k due to the utter cnuts, I'm surprised these charlatans aren't lynched.

1 minute ago, Crùbag said:

As if this is a new phenomenon with a newsworthy 'celeb' or other person of note. Sure, it doesn't look good but it's more than balance out by the fluff reporting the he and Boris has enjoyed for years. Given the death toll of more than 60k due to the utter cnuts, I'm surprised these charlatans aren't lynched.

Absolutely. He deserves that type of treatment. It doesn't help us get the end result most would want though. It does the opposite and it gives him an out that his supporters are clinging onto for dear life right now.

The chat about whether his missus can drive or not (maybe she's banned) is a distraction imo. The big thing is him driving his plague ridden family 270 miles away from where they were, to an area that was nearly virus free, when he admitted that he could arrange childcare in London. And there weren't any crowds shouting threateningly outside his door until this shit came out, so another lie.

Libby Brooks

At her daily press briefing, Nicola Sturgeon set out further detail of the Scottish government’s new Test and Protect strategy, which will go live on Thursday across all of Scotland’s health board areas on the same day as the country’s lockdown restrictions are due to be eased.

The first minister said the required capacity of more than 15,000 tests a day was now in place, and that around 700 contact tracers will be needed in the early phase, although by the end of the month there will be a pool of around 2,000 to draw on.

From Thursday, if people develop symptoms they must book a test immediately and isolate themselves. If the test is positive, they will then hear from a tracer who will ask them about recent contacts in the community. Sturgeon emphasised that their data would be secure and only available to NHS Scotland.

She said that, like lockdown measures, the test and protect system was a “collective national endeavour”. She stressed that it should not be looked on as optional, with everyone needing to play their part to ensure it is successful.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

2 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Libby Brooks

At her daily press briefing, Nicola Sturgeon set out further detail of the Scottish government’s new Test and Protect strategy, which will go live on Thursday across all of Scotland’s health board areas on the same day as the country’s lockdown restrictions are due to be eased.

The first minister said the required capacity of more than 15,000 tests a day was now in place, and that around 700 contact tracers will be needed in the early phase, although by the end of the month there will be a pool of around 2,000 to draw on.

From Thursday, if people develop symptoms they must book a test immediately and isolate themselves. If the test is positive, they will then hear from a tracer who will ask them about recent contacts in the community. Sturgeon emphasised that their data would be secure and only available to NHS Scotland.

She said that, like lockdown measures, the test and protect system was a “collective national endeavour”. She stressed that it should not be looked on as optional, with everyone needing to play their part to ensure it is successful.

I picked up on that!

The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung said Cummings had “gone down in history as the first adviser to give a live press conference in Downing Street”. Usually, the paper said, “political advisers work for the government. In Cummings’ case, it is ministers who work for the adviser: one after another has been sent out to defend him.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/26/a-political-gale-worlds-press-on-dominic-cummings-self-defence

In positive news,
+18 deaths +29 infections
7 day averages now 22 & 75 respectively.
Looking at how these infection numbers are falling anyone got any ideas on what this means longer term for those in the sheiding category.

We are in this category because of a three year with Asthma and I totally understand it was to protect the vulnerable but at what point does this become counter productive. I say this because I know the shielding period is up for review shortly and I am preying that there can at least be some minor adjustments to it because not going to lie beginning to struggle with it in its current form.

Although my gut tells me they will be waiting until some evidence that the rates aren't increasing for general population once we moved into the differebt phases.

This isn't aimed at you Todd is God it was just because you provided the figures.

2 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Looking at how these infection numbers are falling anyone got any ideas on what this means longer term for those in the sheiding category.

We are in this category because of a three year with Asthma and I totally understand it was to protect the vulnerable but at what point does this become counter productive. I say this because I know the shielding period is up for review shortly and I am preying that there can at least be some minor adjustments to it because not going to lie beginning to struggle with it in its current form.

Although my gut tells me they will be waiting until some evidence that the rates aren't increasing for general population once we moved into the differebt phases.

This isn't aimed at you Todd is God it was just because you provided the figures.

I think there is to be a statement (Swinney ?) at Holyrood this afternoon which may address these points.

The most outrageous thing is that Boris has Dom and 3 other advisors all of which are paid between £140,000 and £145,000 of public money this sorry state really does beg the question how shite are the other three picking up nearly half a million pounds of public coin if they can't run the show

Just now, dundeefc1783 said:

I'm sure NS did say that they would issue guidance before June 18th which I believe is the end date of the original 12 weeks shielding advice.

My understanding is that if you are currently shielding you would be expected to continue doing so even after Friday.

It will be interesting to see how quickly we move through phase 1 though if there is no upward movement over the coming weeks.

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Only these days when we are so used to death in the news do we believe that 18 deaths are positive. sigh

The trend is positive.

Why is this happening, is the virus just running out of people to infect?

No, it means that disease vectors are disappearing, either due to recovery or death, faster than they can create new vectors by infection.

In other words social distancing is working as if should.

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Only these days when we are so used to death in the news do we believe that 18 deaths are positive. sigh

The trend is positive.

Nobody knows, because we don't know how many people have had it with few/no symptoms, we don't know how many people have it at present with few/no symptoms and we don't know an accurate figure of how many have died from it.

I'm sure NS did say that they would issue guidance before June 18th which I believe is the end date of the original 12 weeks shielding advice.
My understanding is that if you are currently shielding you would be expected to continue doing so even after Friday.
It will be interesting to see how quickly we move through phase 1 though if there is no upward movement over the coming weeks.
Yeah that's my understanding as well. Problem is the 18th June feels like a lifetime away after being couped up all this time

3 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

I'm treating my shielded status as just meaning I have to be more careful than most people. I stopped going to shops a while back but still go out for a walk, and make sure I avoid anywhere that could be busy. If I have to go into a building like for medical appointments I put on a face mask, but I don't walk around with one outside. As they relax the rules I'll probably risk doing a bit more, but not much until it's pretty well over. Pretty soon I'll be driving into the country for wee Cummings style jaunts I think.

10 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The trend is positive.

It’s happening because we have been in lockdown and social distancing for two months