Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I'm sure it's been covered extensively on this thread but this whole Cummings story has been quite staggering to watch unfold.

Not the incident itself, I can't say I was particularly blown over by the fact Cummings saw himself as above the guidelines, even when he had the disease himself, but the BJ/government response to it has been outrageously incompetent. So bad.

It's the kind of thing a half decent PR team may have ushered away relatively quietly, and yet it's snowballed into an utter shit show for them. I'm not complaining at them being exposed for this, just surprised, even for Boris.

Maybe Prince Andrew advises Dominic Cummings.

13 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

To the folk wanting the pubs open quickly and getting back to normal, this is a article sent to me from The  Netherlands.

https://dutchreview.com/news/private-party-across-the-border-in-germany-leads-to-18-infected-guests/?fbclid=IwAR01_uWCE3iC_FGxvBXih8v_6Kjd235eXjFy9s6k78VJ2s_-7sWQJjklpIY

Exactly why I won't be rushing back to pubs or restaurants  even when they are deemed safe to open. There's your 2nd wave right there.

13 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I suppose this essentially means lockdown is done for a lot of England and we'll see another peak in cases as a result of this stupid little man.

The kind of stupid people who would think it's ok based on Cummings actions are most likely the same stupid people who were breaking lockdown  anyway. 

This won't go away because he made the rookie mistake of saying I'm in record of saying something when in fact he recently edited his blog to include that. How thick is he does he think lying some more will help him get it of it.

We should keep the heat on looks like Boris will do anything to divert attention.

Yeah, I'd have to be sceptical about the effect of the Cummings story on people ignoring restrictions.  I think the group of people who have been strictly following restrictions so far but will abandon this due to the story about Cummings is probably small.

That's not to say there couldn't be a rise in cases are restrictions ease but I don't think it'll be down to this story.

Although, if this story was likely to make people break restictions then surely the moral thing to do would have been to censor the media and prevent them from reporting on the story, at least at the moment?  :unsure2:

Edited by ICTChris

From what i've seen locally, quite a lot of folk have been following the lockdown purely because the government have told them to, rather than understanding themselves that it was probably the right thing to do. A few weeks ago when there were rumours of lockdown being lifted i saw quite a lot of 'hope Boris says i can see my girlfriend'  type stuff, or folk praying for 'Boris' to let them go on holiday when it was clear to anyone with half a brain that we were miles off of stuff like that. So in that sense if the government's credibility has been damaged i can see a section of folk (albeit stupid folk) not taking the rules as seriously from here. Although as folk have said numpties like that were always likely to break the rules anyway, but i'd say they're much more likely to now. 

Edited by Fratelli

37 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Her questions to Cummings felt more like a summery and she that had to ask them. She never dug deeper.

How is she a relevant journalist?

and now -

Dominic Cummings coronavirus row: Government to try to move on

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52803224

His statement on Monday overshadowed the PM's new plans to reopen all non-essential shops in England on 15 June.

Boris Johnson said shops will be able to open if they meet safety guidelines.

Outdoor markets and car showrooms will be allowed to reopen from 1 June.

Retailers have generally welcomed the announcement but some experts said more clarity was needed on how shops should keep staff and customers safe.

It looks more like Kuenssberg wants things to move on.

Best reposting of a tweet I saw yesterday (could have been on here):

Peston is so far up Jounson’s arse he can see Kuenssberg’s feet.

15 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Although, if this story was likely to make people break restictions then surely the moral thing to do would have been to censor the media and prevent them from reporting on the story, at least at the moment?  :unsure2:

In terms of England, anything Cummings did or is accused of doing, anyone down there has been able to do for 2 weeks now. They wouldn't be breaking any restrictions now by replicating.

Up here, those happy to take the advice and guideance of NS will continue to do so, whilst those in the SNPbad camp will continue to do exactly as they please anyway.

In terms of the effectiveness of the current lockdown it will make no difference. It would only become a potential issue in England if measures had to be reintroduced further down the line.

10 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Is there anyone with even a sliver of integrity in government? 

Fucking Robert Mugabe would have, quite literally, fired this guy days ago.

There

12 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Who said she did?

I don't think Cummings mentioned this yesterday, though didn't he mention something about stomach problems.

She said she did.Screenshot_20200526-091530.thumb.jpg.111d6b9c6b327aca198f3f7e3e7732f0.jpg

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

She said she did.Screenshot_20200526-091530.thumb.jpg.111d6b9c6b327aca198f3f7e3e7732f0.jpg

She remembered her and her wean making polystyrene palaces and him trotting off to find the oximeter but forgets him getting rushed to the hospital with Covid symptoms? So the Covid also gives you selective amnesia and wonky vision. What a dastardly virus.