Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Yes, very. It seems to have started from someone 'mishearing' a news report on LBC yesterday.

Somebody called Cue Bono#Jobby19Survivor. Think that's a South Park reference, but Cummings backers are taking it as the gospel.

1) Agree completely.
2) Disagree. We are allowed to drive out of our area for recreation. That's what he'll say.
Apologies for the formatting, I'm on my phone.
It's 30 miles from Durham to Castle Barnard that's well out of range - in any case if you are isolating you should not be leaving your home full stop.

Would be extraordinary if autism was the angle they went for given it's already been demonstrably proven to have started as a completely baseless bit of speculation so given we live in the banter timeline that's the narrative I'm expecting him to go with.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

Would be extraordinary if autism was the angle they went for given it's already been demonstrably proven to have started as a completely baseless bit of speculation so given we live in the banter timeline that's the narrative I'm expecting him to go with.

That or religious reasons

I wouldn't put it past him to lie about his son being autistic. He's a psycopath.

Can only echo others here by saying I hope the media take this opportunity, a political open goal, with both hands - and annihilate him in the Q&A.

I want to see him suffer.

Alastair Campbell, former spin doctor to Tony Blair, has expressed concern that Dominic Cummings’ press conference is taking place in the Downing Street rose garden this afternoon. He tweeted:

Cummings speaking in the Rose Garden is like Monica Lewinsky giving her side of the story from the Oval Office.

Heaven knows how the cabinet secretary has allowed this. But hey - in Trump Britain all norms rules and standards are collapsing.

He said he has written to UK cabinet secretary and head of the civil service Mark Sedwill to ask, “1. Why is it being held there? 2. Assurance no civil servants involved in support of the event. 3. Any staging and other costs not borne by taxpayer. 4. Investigation of clear breach of special adviser rules on political controversy.”

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

16 minutes ago, Gaz said:

1) Agree completely.

2) Disagree. We are allowed to drive out of our area for recreation. That's what he'll say.

Number 2 doesn't excuse this shit, there are people who've been in far worse positions than having an autistic kid, ask them if they chose to do what the f**k they wanted or if they avoided attending hospitals, care homes, crematoria or grave sides. 

Don't go losing your perspective because the word autism arose, this arsehole has access to help that mere mortals can only dream about, he wouldn't be waiting 3 weeks for his home delivery or similar. 

25 minutes ago, Gaz said:

1) Agree completely.

At that time we were being advised not to travel unless essential.  A 30 mile each way trip for recreation is not essential.

Cummings is going to love this attention and pomp - an adviser doing a press conference is unheard of, in the rose garden is just weird. 

He thinks he is superior to us all and I’m sure he will revel in being able to spin his story. 

Expecting him to play to the galleries big time and produce a sob story of epic proportions. 

Show business for ugly people. 

Edited by swiftyswifty swifty

The autism thing is the perfect excuse. It immediately lets all the things he's done fall into the "permitted" category, and also gives BoJo an out as to why he didn't discuss it yesterday (not his place to discuss someone else's child's medical conditions). No journalist is going to ask for proof.
It is absolutely bulletproof.
Except it doesn't. If (and it's a Guinness Book of Records sized if) the child needed to be in the north east, why did Cummings' sister - who was apparently healthy - not come and collect him?
Any journalist who lets this cúnt wriggle free here does not deserve the job description.

18 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Alastair Campbell, former spin doctor to Tony Blair, has expressed concern that Dominic Cummings’ press conference is taking place in the Downing Street rose garden this afternoon. He tweeted:

Cummings speaking in the Rose Garden is like Monica Lewinsky giving her side of the story from the Oval Office.

Heaven knows how the cabinet secretary has allowed this. But hey - in Trump Britain all norms rules and standards are collapsing.

He said he has written to UK cabinet secretary and head of the civil service Mark Sedwill to ask, “1. Why is it being held there? 2. Assurance no civil servants involved in support of the event. 3. Any staging and other costs not borne by taxpayer. 4. Investigation of clear breach of special adviser rules on political controversy.”

Campbell is a despicable individual but he knows how the game is played and knows the right questions to ask.

Standard approach for him would be to apologise for something trivial or that he hasn't been accused of, then say everything else is a private family matter, he won't be answering any more questions, and he's going back to work.