Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

You’re right this just might be a bridge too far. Hardly anyone batted an eyelid at the allegations of corruption during the Brexit referendum, the dodgy financial dealings of Vote Leave, the Cambridge Analytica scandal, the refusal to release the Russia report before the election, Priti Patel directing money to the IDF and taking part in off the record meetings while in government etc etc 

Unlike your other examples people can relate to this one.

"Why is he allowed to do this when I can't?"

7 hours ago, GAD said:

People don't care and will forget about it by next week? I'm not sure about that. This isn't the same as shutting down parliament, or any of that other political shite. This is people who haven't seen family in months. People who have missed funerals, weddings, holidays, and everything else. Every single person in the country has been affected by this directly. They suffered and are now being made to look like fools. I don't think this will just wash away.

Exactly.

One of the reasons people don’t engage with politics is that many events seem abstract.  The impact COVID-19 has had, and is still having, is far from abstract.  At best people have been significantly inconvenienced, at worst they’ve seen friends and relatives die and not even been able to mourn the losses properly.

People will be angry; I only hope the anger doesn’t dissipate too quickly.

37 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Exactly.

One of the reasons people don’t engage with politics is that many events seem abstract.  The impact COVID-19 has had, and is still having, is far from abstract.  At best people have been significantly inconvenienced, at worst they’ve seen friends and relatives die and not even been able to mourn the losses properly.

People will be angry; I only hope the anger doesn’t dissipate too quickly.

Aye agree, even big shit like Brexit you could take an IDGAF  attitude turn the tv of and go down the pub.  Not so with this

6 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

My Facebook feed is unbelievable. I've seen posts and comments from loads of people who usually ignore politics and don't even vote.

Same here. Folk who usually aren't bothered about politics are utterly seething about this. It appears the Daily Heil aren't happy either. If this story doesn't die off in the next week, or if (even better), the Mirror release some more previously held back evidence, I think the knives from the 1922 Committee will be out for Johnson. As soon as a sitting PM starts to become a liability, they tend not to last overly long. 

My Gammon barometer, an old workmate from Teesside is alternating between saying this is a non story as he doesnt hold a govt position, and firing out facebook memes about how "the left" is outraged over a father protecting his son, yet were silent when Rotherham turned into a mass brown people paedophile ring.

Give him his due, he struck me dumb for a while when he made it clear that this is prevalent thinking down his way.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

My Gammon barometer, an old workmate from Teesside is alternating between saying this is a non story as he doesnt hold a govt position, and firing out facebook memes about how "the left" is outraged over a father protecting his son, yet were silent when Rotherham turned into a mass brown people paedophile ring.

Give him his due, he struck me dumb for a while when he made it clear that this is prevalent thinking down his way.

And folk seriously think the Cummings debacle will make an iota of difference to the way these c***s will vote.

No reasoned, rational debate on the matter just a simple “wot about labour and the lefties though” Pavlovian reaction to any criticism of their political stance. You do wonder if they understand anything that the Tories have done, ever.

(see also the wee nippy brigade).

17 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

And yet you voted for one of them

I have voted for both of them, the left cheek more so, not much choice down here but just like the last time I will stick with my heritage from here on in given that the lunatics are no longer in charge of the asylum.

Edited by Perkin Flump
Can't construct a simple sentence.

Gavin Williamson appearing on the morning news programmes (minus Cronus the tarantula) going with the good old nothing to see here line of defence. 

Cummings has assured the PM that he has not broken any rules or laws so that’s that then. 

If the castle story is true, and I note that Number 10 are no longer denying this, then his position has to be untenable. 

3 minutes ago, swiftyswifty swifty said:

Gavin Williamson appearing on the morning news programmes (minus Cronus the tarantula) going with the good old nothing to see here line of defence. 

Cummings has assured the PM that he has not broken any rules or laws so that’s that then. 

If the castle story is true, and I note that Number 10 are no longer denying this, then his position has to be untenable. 

Gavin Williamson is a total fucking moron. As a defence sec he said something like: "Russia just needs to shut up and go away". 

The cabinet is filled with these incompetent zoomers. No wonder 60,000+ folk have died in a poor handled pandemic. 

26 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

And folk seriously think the Cummings debacle will make an iota of difference to the way these c***s will vote.

No reasoned, rational debate on the matter just a simple “wot about labour and the lefties though” Pavlovian reaction to any criticism of their political stance. You do wonder if they understand anything that the Tories have done, ever.

(see also the wee nippy brigade).

It will mozza, the sensible people who held their noses & voted him in ahead of the catastrophe that was Venezuela mk2 being inflicted on the Worlds 5th (or 6th, can't remember)largest Economy are now absolutely incandescent that the rules don't actually matter anymore. This episode will probably result in a spike as everyone says "ah f**k it" and do what they want, it will not be forgotten & every other Party should hound them until he is history. 

8 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Gavin Williamson is a total fucking moron. As a defence sec he said something like: "Russia just needs to shut up and go away". 

The cabinet is filled with these incompetent zoomers. No wonder 60,000+ folk have died in a poor handled pandemic. 

At one point he threatened to push China out of the South China Sea using our new aircraft carrier with no planes or support ships, same with Russia and the Black Sea.

They know full well the castle story is true. Johnson specifically didn’t answer it and will go into hiding for another ten days, so we won’t get an on-the-record answer from him. Shapps claimed he didn’t know despite being given the question in advance. And Williamson just parroted the ‘he spoke at length with the PM’ line.

They know full well it’s true, but they don’t think anyone can prove it. They may well be right unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Still cant get over how Greece has only had 171 deaths with a 10 million population.
Multiply that by six for us 1200 deaths.
Weve totally fuxked it up.

I'm not sure how consistent reporting standards are across countries. I think the mortality comparison to "normal" years may be a better measure. There are some places where you can't trust the infrastructure and others (not a million miles away) where you can't trust the reporting.